Hands-on experience with Rockinger offset tremolo?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
novamax
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Hands-on experience with Rockinger offset tremolo?

Post by novamax » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:37 pm

Does anyone have any personal experience with the offset tremolo of Rockinger? They are a respected parts supplier who should be selective about their aftermarket parts. I'm thinking of upgrading my Squier VM Jag and JM, but I cannot justify German prices for a Fender AV (preferred due to originalilty) or Mastery. 40 € would be just right if it's better than the stock Squier unit. it doesn't have the trem lock, but I can live without it if
- the metal is proper steel instead of cheap die-cast alloy hidden under chrome and
- the pivoting edge is clearly defined (not left rough cut like the Squier Units) and recessed (not with double contact like the Squier Units).

The website is a lilttle scarce on properties. So - has anyone else any personal experience with it?

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hands-on experience with Rockinger offset tremolo?

Post by dylanafghjkl » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:31 am

Sorry - don't know, but following because I'm looking for something better than an allparts trem for a build but less expensive than a mastery/avri (because i'd have to buy a new plate anyway etc)

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:32 pm

some pictures of the underside would help so we could see if it's just a rebranded Chinese trem
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

novamax
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by novamax » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:43 pm

Sorry, don't own it, so no more picks than in the webshop are available.

But I called them - It's a "standard aftermarket" unit, nothing directly from Rockinger. They said those are all pretty much the same (read: probably same Chinese manufacturer like behind Allparts etc.). So it's either Fender AV or Mastery.

I will re-think importing two units from the US - Even with shipping and customs, two units should save quite some money...

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:23 am

I'm not sure what the issue is with the Squire trem is but other than a Mastery I doubt an aftermarket trem would be better. What is your issue with the Squire trems? It doesn't take much work to "fix" an import trem. The biggest issue is the brass insert inside the spring needs a taper added to eliminate the top sharp corner that can cause clicking as it rubs on the inside of the spring (not all import trems have a square corner at the top) and if it feels rough in use a little file work on the pivot edge to smooth it up will work wonders. Stewmac has a pretty good replacement for a bit more $$ than the ebay/GFS/import versions.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:00 am

There's a real gap in the market for a Gotoh equivalent quality offset vibrato.

There are enough guitars out there for it to be a big seller! I just wish they'd pull their finger out.

Trem lock isn't important to me. I just want a rock solid unit with all the fundamentals in place - a good stiff pivot edge and carefully designed brass piece that doesn't hit the spring.

When I spoke with Mastery about ordering their vibrato unit in volume, he basically told me to go f**k myself if I was planning to use it with a rocking Stay Trem.

Also, because my trem plate is a different shape to the Mastery standard, I asked if he would send me the mounting hole / slot pattern in the mounting plate and asked for advice as to what thickness and grade of steel I should be using, and he acted like I was trying to steal his design!

This was all whilst I literally had an invoice for over $1500 attached to the email conversation.

Then he took to criticising my mounting plate design, saying it was too similar to the BilT design which "he was a part of" and told me to back off. We're talking about the Clubmaster, which is completely different from the Relevator and from the Gene Fields Marauder in every aspect other than it having a trem plate that butts up to the pickguard.

So yeah, as a small builder I would lap up a decent quality Gotoh unit.
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:49 am

Deed_Poll wrote:There's a real gap in the market for a Gotoh equivalent quality offset vibrato.

There are enough guitars out there for it to be a big seller! I just wish they'd pull their finger out.

Trem lock isn't important to me. I just want a rock solid unit with all the fundamentals in place - a good stiff pivot edge and carefully designed brass piece that doesn't hit the spring.

When I spoke with Mastery about ordering their vibrato unit in volume, he basically told me to go f**k myself if I was planning to use it with a rocking Stay Trem.

Also, because my trem plate is a different shape to the Mastery standard, I asked if he would send me the mounting hole / slot pattern in the mounting plate and asked for advice as to what thickness and grade of steel I should be using, and he acted like I was trying to steal his design!

This was all whilst I literally had an invoice for over $1500 attached to the email conversation.

Then he took to criticising my mounting plate design, saying it was too similar to the BilT design which "he was a part of" and told me to back off. We're talking about the Clubmaster, which is completely different from the Relevator and from the Gene Fields Marauder in every aspect other than it having a trem plate that butts up to the pickguard.

So yeah, as a small builder I would lap up a decent quality Gotoh unit.
That's a shame. I think in due time you'll have it all sorted out. They don't know what you've been cooking up but they soon will!!!

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:54 am

Isn't it about time we all get together and design and OSG Offset Tremolo? Something that would rely on as many flat components as possible so they can be laser cut, and a list of sources for springs/screws/etc. and still fit in a standard JM/Jag cavity? I mean, the costs of laser cutting/CNC are going lower and lower, and it isn't hard to find good stainless steel sheets. People who don't want to go through the trouble of assembling it can still order from Mastery and the rest of us can start using it for our own builds.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:06 am

julius2790 wrote: That's a shame. I think in due time you'll have it all sorted out. They don't know what you've been cooking up but they soon will!!!
Cheers dude, yeah it was annoying because I want the best unit I can find for my customers, and I've just never experienced anything like it! It was literally a "shut up and take my money!" situation!

It just left a sour taste when I'm the one giving him the money. I understand he has a brand to protect or whatever, but by the end I asked if I could use them even if I don't advertise them as having a Mastery vibrato and he still refused!

I just thought, do I smell or something!? Haha

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:48 am

epizootics wrote:Isn't it about time we all get together and design and OSG Offset Tremolo? Something that would rely on as many flat components as possible so they can be laser cut, and a list of sources for springs/screws/etc. and still fit in a standard JM/Jag cavity? I mean, the costs of laser cutting/CNC are going lower and lower, and it isn't hard to find good stainless steel sheets. People who don't want to go through the trouble of assembling it can still order from Mastery and the rest of us can start using it for our own builds.
I got a really cool 12-string trem plate from Faction guitars:

https://www.facebook.com/factionguitars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a fixed plate but I wonder if he couldn't manufacture a great tremolo?

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:50 am

Deed_Poll wrote:
julius2790 wrote: That's a shame. I think in due time you'll have it all sorted out. They don't know what you've been cooking up but they soon will!!!
Cheers dude, yeah it was annoying because I want the best unit I can find for my customers, and I've just never experienced anything like it! It was literally a "shut up and take my money!" situation!

It just left a sour taste when I'm the one giving him the money. I understand he has a brand to protect or whatever, but by the end I asked if I could use them even if I don't advertise them as having a Mastery vibrato and he still refused!

I just thought, do I smell or something!? Haha
Jesus. I was looking at going Mastery for the new guitar but that makes me want to stay away. I don't get it...it's a modified Fender system, right?

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:02 am

I have an Uncle that owns an industrial design company in N.C. He's made custom drum sticks and some kind of slide for guitars that he's marketing. I'm going to ask if he's interested in making a trem. If you guys can come up with a design that will be ideal I can find out whether he's interested and the cost, etc.

OSG tremolo!!

...Sorry about highjacking the thread BTW. Off topic.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:28 am

julius2790 wrote: Jesus. I was looking at going Mastery for the new guitar but that makes me want to stay away. I don't get it...it's a modified Fender system, right?
Don't let me put you off it, the Mastery is absolutely the best offset trem unit out there. The Mastery isn't a modified Fender system in that it uses totally different parts and is made all by Mastery, but the design is based on the same system with a couple of improvements.

That's cool about your uncle, I might well put something together!

I actually would favour a Mustang based system but to fit in the offset cavity, it's much simpler and nobody makes a high end Mustang vibrato, so the bits and pieces could be packaged with the Mustang plate to retrofit.

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
julius2790 wrote: Jesus. I was looking at going Mastery for the new guitar but that makes me want to stay away. I don't get it...it's a modified Fender system, right?
Don't let me put you off it, the Mastery is absolutely the best offset trem unit out there. The Mastery isn't a modified Fender system in that it uses totally different parts and is made all by Mastery, but the design is based on the same system with a couple of improvements.

That's cool about your uncle, I might well put something together!

I actually would favour a Mustang based system but to fit in the offset cavity, it's much simpler and nobody makes a high end Mustang vibrato, so the bits and pieces could be packaged with the Mustang plate to retrofit.
..Yeah the old Mustang system is cool. With that bar you can take the arm out and still wobble the vibrato with your palm heel. Pretty cool. But I like the JM trem the best of those I've tried including the Bigsby. I'm sure there is a better system on some guitars. I'm not a dive bomber but I do use the trem with rhythm a lot. The JM trem just felt like what I've been wanting forever once I tried it.

My uncle is making custom displays for trade shows and luckily has a lot of business right now. I'm going to ask if he's interested in making a unit..will know more later.

Everything I've read or heard about the Mastery makes it seem like they are amazing. But very, very disappointing to hear that they've been difficult with you. If your'e marketing an item to a demographic that is more than willing to pay good money for a specialized product why would you NOT want to work with like-minded builders on making quality gear? Makes no sense to me whatsoever. It sounded very petty to me. Why not work with people who clearly are part of your tribe????

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:34 pm

for the record - i would buy the shit out of a bunch of OSG brand offset trems. I have a guitar and at least two builds i would put these on