Hands-on experience with Rockinger offset tremolo?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hands-on experience with Rockinger offset tremolo?

Post by julius2790 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:44 pm

dylanafghjkl wrote:for the record - i would buy the shit out of a bunch of OSG brand offset trems. I have a guitar and at least two builds i would put these on
Me too. It's a really good idea. Bridge and trem. People here know EXACTLY what you need for stability and function. We have a market fo sho.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:24 pm

julius2790 wrote:
dylanafghjkl wrote:for the record - i would buy the shit out of a bunch of OSG brand offset trems. I have a guitar and at least two builds i would put these on
Me too. It's a really good idea. Bridge and trem. People here know EXACTLY what you need for stability and function. We have a market fo sho.
Make some lefties and I'll put name first on the list.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:42 am

One option I'm looking at is an ambidextrous design with the collet in the middle and a compressive spring either side.

If we can make these self-assembly it should be possible to design certain components so they can be flipped around for left / right handed, including the mounting plate
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:09 am

Deed_Poll wrote:One option I'm looking at is an ambidextrous design with the collet in the middle and a compressive spring either side.

If we can make these self-assembly it should be possible to design certain components so they can be flipped around for left / right handed, including the mounting plate
Dan, if you could do that, I would be smitten ;) You could drill the hole for the collet for Staytrem/Fender dimensions, so anyone could use the Staytrem collet and arm, i.e. you wouldn't have to worry about making arms...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:31 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:One option I'm looking at is an ambidextrous design with the collet in the middle and a compressive spring either side.
Precisely what I was thinking! We'll make this happen :jacked:

novamax
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by novamax » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:46 am

I'd be buying two for guitars and one for my VI...!

For one thing, the Squier unit is not smooth as you wrote. Yes, it can be fixed by someone who can wield a file, but then, you damage the chrome finish to protect from rust (and you irreversibley alter a guitar with fair resale value). You can buy a Squier replacement and file away, though. But it's still pot metal instead of proper steel in a pretty critical point, and I think that actually dampens frequencies noticeably. So I.d prefer good or even stainless steel like the more expensive product lines.

Faction I saw, too, but, 50 bucks just for the face plate (plus more parts... ) will come down to more than a Fender AV unit, plus shipping and customs... So I was looking for a EU solution which apparently isn't available, or an affordable solution from elsewhere, but with proper steel, and ideally, properly manufactured to begin with. Can't be that hard for a decades-old working design...

Ben17e
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ben17e » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:32 pm

I love the idea of a boutique Mustang trem...I had a few ideas drawn up and really think its a rocking design if executed well.

Lock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lock » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Yeah, I'd buy two. Canadian dollar and mastery don't play nice. Is there a thread with details on filling the squier units for better performance? The clicking is annoying.

novamax
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by novamax » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:55 pm

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =7&t=95426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:45 am

Ben17e wrote:I love the idea of a boutique Mustang trem...I had a few ideas drawn up and really think its a rocking design if executed well.
That's something I've been playing around with. I did some mods to my Jag-stang's vibrato last time I did one of my periodic overhauls (elongated pivot holes, 60 degree knife edge like a Floyd Rose) and like the results very much.

Lately playing around with a Washburn Wonderbar on my home-built Mosrite copy has given inspiration into looking at a way to turn the Mustang vibrato into a TRANSPOSING vibrato unit that does not require calibrated strings. I found with the wonderbar - there are six individual adjustments behind the bridge saddles and pre-saddle rollers that change the breakover of the strings changing their drop rate - I'm able to get ALL but one of them to stay in relative tune with each other - that one being the High E because adjustment just is not extreme enough.

I'm thinking once some more projects are over I'll start looking into this more. Including how to chemically/heat/harden the knife edges of the original unit - I've got a few spare Mustang tailplates I can modify and mess with. With the mods I already did I was able to skip quite a few parts of my setup guide and I've been using this setup for 2-3 years now and the tuning won't drift at all.

As for bridges, never wanted, needed, or used a Staytrem or Mastery (well, except I do want one for my bass VI because I want to get the proper sized bass VI bridge for that thing). I always just put stronger springs on the low and high E saddles and angled the low E saddles upward and have not had any problems afterward, and I beat the crap out of my Jaguar and Jazzmaster sometimes. I think I've only bumped the Low E off the saddle 2-3 times in the past 10 years and that was when I was doing some really stupid excessive force on the string as a part of playing live (IE Pete Townshend windmill sort of stuff).