Firemaster/Anthony Paine tribute (+ video p.2!)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Firemaster/Anthony Paine tribute (+ video p.2!)

Post by epizootics » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:34 am

Hi everybody,

This is my first thread on this board, although I have been keeping an eye one the goings-on for quite a while. I am a French musician and I initially turned to building guitars out of necessity - I needed a decent instrument when I got back to playing guitar with my band after a five-year hiatus during which I was playing the saxophone full time, but didn't have any money to buy one. My dad is retired a cabinet maker and I had access to all the tools I needed in his workshop. The result was this:

...a Strat/Jazzmaster hybrid, with a Strat pickup in the neck and a P90 in the bridge. I had an awful Squier with a decent neck knocking about, which provided the neck and bridge. The body was made in rock-heavy mahogany.

I liked the building process so much I decided to do it again (classic story of addiction!). I also learnt how to wind pickups in the meantime - one of the few perks in being an unemployed struggling musician is that one has a lot of time on one's hands.

Onto the Anthony Paine part now. I hope he won't mind my fanboy spiel here, but Harvester Guitars have been an endless source of admiration and inspiration for me since I discovered them. His designs are incredibly well thought and fun, and his approach really was a big part in my deciding to take the step and build my own instruments. I also like the fact he shares a lot of his thoughts and processes on the internet. I plan on ordering my own Harvester as soon as I have the funds for it, but in the meantime, I borrowed his Kay-inspired headstock shape and blending of materials for this build.

So. The body was based on the Fano PX6, with the neck pushed inwards a bit and the horns shaved accordingly. I am still really scared of making my own necks, so I used that of a nicely-made but godawful-sounding and -looking Blade Durango Standard. Everything else was pretty much homemade - a couple of Jazzmaster pickups, slightly overwound for more overall sweetness (8.3k in the neck and 9k in the bridge), a Dano-inspired triangular bridge of my own design (welded by my dad's metalworker neighbor in exchange for a bit of roofing work on his house) with three Wilkinson compensated tele saddles, and stainless steel pickguard with matching neckplate and headplate (more on this later). Pots are 1K with a DPDT switch for pickup selection as well as a TDPT switch for series wiring of the pickups. My dad convinced me to try apricot wood for the body, as he had a stash of it that had been drying since the 80's in a corner of his workshop.

(sorry for all the pictures!)

Starting point:

The bridge...

Neck pocket and pickup slots routed...

Leftover stainless steel from the neighbour for the scratcplate...

Taking a breath of, well, not so fresh (116°F) French countryside air outside the shop:

Neck and bridge adjusted:

Control cavity routed:

Finishing the pickguard:

Drilling that apricot wood felt like drilling metal -

Fashioning of a table router iron for the contouring:

Reshaping of that ugly headstock:

Making the head plate:

Body contoured & fitting of the scratchplate + electronics:

Mattress foam under the pickups:

And...voilà !

And the inevitable footshot:

It is a bit on the heavy side - that apricot wood wasn't very light to start with - but it's completely manageable. It has a nice, medium-heavy resonance when unplugged, and a really cool array of sounds once plugged in. The saddles worked nicely at sweetening the 1k pots, and sustain is really good. I'll post a video as soon as I get around to recording one.

Sorry for that very long first post - I had a lot of fun making this one, and I can't wait getting started on the next (shortscale bass, and I'll be making my own neck this time)!

S.
Last edited by epizootics on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Firemaster/Anthony Paine tribute (second build - finishe

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:03 am

Photobucket is holding your pics for ransom

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:13 am

Oh dear. I have been off the internet for too long. Bloody Photobucket used to be free back in the days...I'm re-uploading the pictures onto a less greedy storage website.

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:23 am

I really like Harvester guitars. Have a few mutuals with Anthony and apparently he is the nicest guy. Following for when the pics come back up

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:54 am

I have been meaning to give him a shout for a while...I would invite him to the workshop for a few beers and a talk about guitars, but apparently France is quite a bit of a drive from Australia!

Hopefully, those pictures are working now...?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:41 am

Pictures are working now, and what a beauty!!! I absolutely LOVE the wood and stainless look. Classic and modern at the same time!! :-* :-* :-*
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:08 am

That headstock plate is soooo nice
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:57 pm

Some nice shapes you have going there- (among many other things) I really like that bridge, and the way your pickguard works with it. Nice old school labour swapping too with your neighbour to get that bespoke bridge, very cool. I got a toolmaker friend to make me a couple of sets of custom knobs, and the price was for me to take him and his wife out to dinner (possibly more fun than fixing a roof). Reading your post reminded me of it. Good vibes!
I'm a big Harvester fan also btw- you may also want to check out Toots, another OSG builder definitely worth checking out. There's been a lot of good stuff here, but these 2 are my OSG favorites. Welcome to OSG btw. 8)
Last edited by antisymmetric on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watching the corners turn corners

sporeleki
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sporeleki » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Beautiful!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:34 am

Magnifique!
Outstanding!
I hope Harvester sees this.
You did a really good job on it. Welcome to OSG!
I believe that's the first guitar I've ever heard of that was made of apricot wood.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

bacca51
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacca51 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:59 am

Super cool project, really like the headstock metal plate. Great idea. The only critique I have is that body is so massive! Compared to the electronics it looks a little disproportional, but thats just me nit picking.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:09 am

Cheers guys! I learnt a lot from looking at people's projects on OSG. I think I'm an offsetaholic!

Antisymmetric, do you know if there is an easy way to find members' creations on the board? I remember seeing some cool project of yours through time, but I can't find them again...Same with Toots...

I'm really glad I went with apricot - it has a crazy grain when quartersawn/riftsawn, with really dark veins, and some cool clouds-of-Jupiter patterns on the plainsawn bits. The body is a bit of a puzzle (five parts!) - apricot trees aren't all that wide to start with, and a lot of the lumber had cracks, knots & wormholes in it - but I think it looks pretty nice overall. It has already started to darken a bit. The only finish I gave it was a bit of olive oil!

As for the size of it...I see what you mean, Bacca! But I'm pretty tall and I like my guitars big, otherwise they look a bit like ukuleles when I'm on stage :whistle:

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:58 am

bacca51 wrote:The only critique I have is that body is so massive! Compared to the electronics it looks a little disproportional, but thats just me nit picking.
I thought the same thing at first. I think the part that makes it looks strange to me is the lack of the vibrato system (sort of how telemasters look strange to me as well). Once I realized that, it seems to look a lot better.

Like everyone else though, I definitely dig the headstock, and really dig the pickguard too.

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:39 pm

epizootics wrote:
Antisymmetric, do you know if there is an easy way to find members' creations on the board?
Board index > Members > Find A Member- then enter their name, then "Search Users Posts". Can be slow if they have lots of posts, but I don't know any other way...
You can also just do a web search- for example "toots guitar offset" and see what that brings up.
I should have just saved a lot of good stuff I've seen here- would have saved me a lot of searching time later :fp:
Watching the corners turn corners

storyboardist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by storyboardist » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:21 am

Great looking build! Love the pickguard and headstock. Glad people are getting mileage out of that Fano template I drew up. ;D
effectslayouts.com