HS Duo Sonic Questions

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ryanfears
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

HS Duo Sonic Questions

Post by ryanfears » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:52 pm

Seriously thinking of getting a Duo Sonic HS, but I need some reccomendations/advice
1. I play pretty aggressive music so I wanted a high output pickup that will still split nicely. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go the Bare Knuckle route, so does anyone have some good reccomendations (BK or not BK)?
2. In regards to the neck pickup, will any strat pickup fit under that white cover? Or do I need a specifically sized Duo Sonic pickup?

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: HS Duo Sonic Questions

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:33 pm

i don't have anything to offer on the HB, but any strat pickup should fit.
a duo pickup has flat poles, though. Most strat pickups are staggered, which may cause you some grief.
you can usually press the magnets flush with the bobbin, to make the cover fit tighter.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:10 am

Pressing magnets on a pickup with a fiber bobbin (like most better pickups are made with) is a BAD idea. You can cause permanent damage. It should work on a plastic bobbin pickup though; no clue what the new Duos have.

You can buy Seymour Duncan pickups with staggered or flat polepieces, although "flat" still doesn't mean flush with the bobbin surface; just even, with respect to each other. I hade Rose pickups wind me a special set of Mustang pickups that fit perfectly flush under the cover. In reality, I've also used staggered pickups under covers, it works well enough.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:33 pm

Danley wrote:Pressing magnets on a pickup with a fiber bobbin (like most better pickups are made with) is a BAD idea. You can cause permanent damage. It should work on a plastic bobbin pickup though; no clue what the new Duos have.
this is a good point. I've only ever done it with cheap, plastic bobbin pickups.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.