Wiring trouble - phase reverse & series parallel switch

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
lborl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Wiring trouble - phase reverse & series parallel switch

Post by lborl » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:49 am

I've been trying to get this right for a very long time and had dozens of attempts: this time I planned everything out very carefully and made sure to tape wires neatly down and cut them all the proper size and everything, and still I'm having issues with it. Basically, a long time ago I put a phase reverse switch in my SGV-800. Then I decided I wanted a series/parallel switch too.

Now, both the switches are presently working, but when the neck pickup's selected alone it doesn't sound when the series/parallel switch is 'off' (I think. At least, it doesn't sound when that DPDT switch is in the first position). It's getting to the stage where I feel like just accepting that as the best of a bad job and getting the strings back on the guitar, but ideally first I'd like everything to work properly. Can anyone possibly work out what I've done wrong with it? Here's the diagram of how it's currently rigged:

Thanks

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Wiring trouble - phase reverse & series parallel switch

Post by hpr_hpr » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:33 am

Yes, with the current circuit when the neck pickup is selected on the three way pickup selector the guitar will be silent when the S/P switch is in the series position . . . the signal travels through the neck to bridge pickup and the neck position on the pickup selector switch is NOT connected to anything . . . . there is NO connection from the bottom right pin of the S/P switch to anywhere.

Here is a fix, you have to rewire the series parallel switch so it feeds the bridge hot to both inputs on the 3 way when it is in the series position. Note that bridge hot now connects to BOTH the 3 way AND the S/P switch.

This wireing lets you select a single pickup in parallel position on the S/P but in the series position effectively cuts the 3 way PU switch out of the circuit by connecting bridge hot to BOTH inputs.

NOTE: for a toggle UP on the S/P switch would be Series whilst UP on a slider would be parallel due to the fulcrum in a toggle switch (making the connections opposite the switch position)
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

lborl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Wiring trouble - phase reverse & series parallel switch

Post by lborl » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:45 am

Nice one. Thanks!

edit: here it is by the way