Question on Potentiometer Values

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Question on Potentiometer Values

Post by PixMix » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:58 pm

If one was to use two vintage-style alnico jazzmaster pickups in a telecaster style circuit (one volume, one tone control, and a 3-way pickup selector), what would be the best value for the pots and the capacitor?

Stick with 250k on pots, and .033uF or .047uF? Go 500k?

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Question on Potentiometer Values

Post by Danley » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:35 pm

...I have a guitar with two Duncan Jazzmaster pickups (SJM-2s) and a standard Telecaster plate; I used 1 meg audio and linear taper (I forget which was which) to get a "true" Jazzmaster sound, and I believe .047 cap. That guitar actually has the best knob taper of any of mine.

I've swapped 250k pots, 500k, 1 megs into Jazzmasters... They all work fine. To me, it's the least of your worries; almost anything else to my ears has a greater effect, be it string height, amp EQ, string guage etc. It's much more subtle than people seem to think (it won't "fix" a bright pickup for me to go to 250k, nor will I stop thinking a pickup is "dark" when I add 1 megs. SJM-2s are still the darkest/murkiest pickups I own with 1 meg, a WRHB clone is still an icepick with 250k, Duncan Designed Jazzmaster pickups weren't effected inordinately by such a swap either.) I'd rather have 1 meg and roll the tone down when I need it.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:51 am

IN this configuration going DOWN in pot value will give you (a slightly) 'warmer' sound when all the post are open by cutting more of the high frequencies . . . a larger cap value keeping the pot values the same does the same thing by bleeding more of the high end . . . .

The actual totally scientific explanation is a bit longer but that's the short answer . . . in the end . . . don't worry about the actual values, it's what sounds good to you.

(and yes the standard circuit in a JM uses 1 meg except for the 50K for tone in the rhythm I believe . . . don't know the cap values but a quick online search should give you those as well)
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Thank you to both of you, this will help. I must admit, my knowledge is really modest when it comes to the electrical aspect of the circuitry. I can solder and follow directions, but don't really know why do the pot & cap values effect things the way they do. I will be putting a project together and I will do some research when the time for wiring comes.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:43 pm

It's less a matter of "more bright" or "less bright" when changing pot values, and more one of affecting the resonant peak. Depending on the pickup and on your taste, you may find that you like a higher or lower pot value. But 1 meg is the vintage-correct choice if you want your "Tele" wiring scheme to sound like the lead circuit of a JM. You could of course use a 50k tone pot and have it sound like the Rhythm circuit...but that would not be the world's most versatile guitar ;)
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:47 pm

mbene085 wrote:It's less a matter of "more bright" or "less bright" when changing pot values, and more one of affecting the resonant peak. Depending on the pickup and on your taste, you may find that you like a higher or lower pot value. But 1 meg is the vintage-correct choice if you want your "Tele" wiring scheme to sound like the lead circuit of a JM. You could of course use a 50k tone pot and have it sound like the Rhythm circuit...but that would not be the world's most versatile guitar
I was thinking to go with 1 meg to begin with, play it for a while and then switch to 500k just to see the difference. Thinking of it as a Jazzmaster sans rhythm circuit, basically. I have a set of alnico 5 Timbos, vintage spec (can't remember exact readings) so I think it they will be bright and "proper" Jazzmaster sounding with 1 megs.