Reproduction Vox Ultrasonic pickguard cut & mounted...

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat May 27, 2017 1:57 pm

I've tracked down a guy in the states who supplies a dark red tort, slightly translucent with cloudy swirls. It's perfect if I ever decide to get a repro guard made for my Ultrasonic. All the other stuff I've seen available has had much whispier marbling & is way paler. Not good at all, for my needs.
After a bit of correspondence with the seller I discovered that it's "made in the USA" and is actually acrylic, not nitro cellulose. He's kind of avoiding answering who the supplier is though. I'd like to see if I can go direct & save a bit of money.
Also, I wonder if folk know of any other manufacturers of this stuff. This is it....

I've asked this before, ages ago, but can't find the thread & am hoping there's newer stuff available. There wasn't much choice last time around, not when it came to translucent acrylic anyway.
Last edited by PorkyPrimeCut on Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Toots
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Archtop tortoiseshell suppliers?....

Post by Toots » Sat May 27, 2017 2:36 pm

This looks similar to me, but maybe you need something even darker. You would need help from someone in the US though, since they don't ship international.
https://www.canalplastic.com/collection ... 2913141518

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat May 27, 2017 11:07 pm

That looks quite good but maybe be a bit too pearloid in appearance. It's hard to tell from photos (which has been my problem all along). I think it'd need to be darker still.

I forgot to mention finding this stuff...

Pretty similar to the one you posted. Also, it's the same deal with post. US only.

As you can see, it's the marble lines that are the problem. They're too thin & distinct. What I'd need is something much smokier & kind of blurred. Funny, these characteristics are what makes Spitfire tort stand out. I messaged him, by the way, but we agreed it'd be far too costly to do a one-off guard.

This is the kind of guard I'd be shooting for...

Last edited by PorkyPrimeCut on Mon May 29, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

RobDux
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RobDux » Sun May 28, 2017 2:35 am

This stuff could be an option.
https://www.hindleys.com/index.php/pers ... 400mm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the photos they've put up it looks more brown than red but postage won't be an issue with them being based in Sheffield.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun May 28, 2017 2:53 am

RobDux wrote:This stuff could be an option.
https://www.hindleys.com/index.php/pers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 400mm.html
From the photos they've put up it looks more brown than red but postage won't be an issue with them being based in Sheffield.
Yeah, too brown & a little too transparent. It actually looks very similar to stuff I got made up before, on a whim.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Finding a suitable supplier in the UK would be amazing.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sun May 28, 2017 8:02 am

I get mine from ToneTech, pics on this thread:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 1&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

RobDux
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RobDux » Mon May 29, 2017 2:41 am

Just found this as well. I have a feeling that it's the same as the other one I linked but you can get a sample from them for 50p to check the colour rather than a full sheet which is a bonus.
https://www.zapcreatives.co.uk/laser-cu ... rylic--v04" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon May 29, 2017 3:50 am

Yep. It's pretty much the same as the other stuff, isn't it.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the US stuff. It seems to be by far the best.

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Mon May 29, 2017 8:47 am

Tony from Pickguardian provided me with this. Same material as dark-swirly archtop tort.

(lighter in the picture than it actually is)

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:28 am

This got delivered today....

Image Image

Totally NOT what I planned on receiving! This same stuff is readily available in the UK. I had to pay £13 handling & VAT on this shit!!

I asked the guy repeatedly to post pictures of the ACTUAL sheet I was buying but he didn't. I provided him these two pictures....

Image Image

...and he said "...It is the same as your photo, translucent red acrylic and you can see smoke in the pattern...."

He also has these images on his website, all of which look pretty close to what I was hoping for, right?...

Am I wrong to be pissed off about this? The stuff I got looks totally different....and brown, not dark red!

Grrrr.

Toots
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Toots » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:05 am

Yeah, I would be disapointed with that stuff too. It looks great, but not close to what you described or his pictures.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:38 pm

Toots wrote:Yeah, I would be disapointed with that stuff too. It looks great, but not close to what you described or his pictures.
Yeah, it's a bummer. Fortunately the guy seems cool with me getting a refund. I'll have to just swallow the customs fees.
I'm trying to avoid an argument with the guy. He's adamant it's red. I'm sticking with it being brown & nothing like I'd asked for.

Anyway, funny how things work out. I did another random Google search, not expecting to see anything I hadn't already & found an image of an archtop guard, solid in color though, not translucent. I clicked on it anyway & it sent me to a page of eBay listings, all similar examples or tortoiseshell. The last listing was this...

I couldn't believe my luck! The seller has 2 sheets, both big enough for me to select a perfect area of swirls & colour. I've just paid for one & am getting some clear pictures of both sheets tomorrow so I can pick the right one. He's in Europe too & says this stuff is old Italian stock making it even more suited to the Vox. Must've only put it up on eBay a couple of days ago.

:)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:37 pm

PM sent!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:39 am

The plastic sheet was waiting for me when I got back from Leeds. It's almost perfect.

Colourwise it's about as good as I'll ever get. I actually though it wasn't translucent enough at first but that was just because of poor light. It actually lets just the right amount of light through.
The downside (and I knew about this when I bought it) is that it's 5mm thick & it needs polishing & buffing. As you can see from the pictures, it has this kind of machined pattern, obviously caused during manufacturing, that has to be removed. I went at it with some Meguiars Ultimate Compound I had left over from another project & it worked a treat. It's very slow going though, and mega-tiring. I'm not sure how unswirly I'll be able to get it by hand. I don't want an ultra-glassy finish as it's on an old guitar so hopefully it'll look the part once it's all at the same level of shine...

I'm not too concerned about the thickness. A millimetre or two less would've been ideal but I can live with it. I doubt I'll even notice once it's on the guitar. Is there actually a decent way of shaving a sheet of plastic to a thinner thickness? Some kind of sanding machine I don't have, I'd guess.

I'll be able to get 3 guards out of it, for an Ultrasonic or a Starstream. Had it been a centimetre or so wider I'd probably have been able to squeeze out 4. No biggy.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:44 am

3 and a half years later...

Just a little (and probably the final) update with this guitar.

Dan AKA Deedpoll did a fantastic job cutting the guard. He had to thin the material to 3mm (not by hand, fortunately) and give it a rounded edge, instead of the usual bevel you see on Fender guards.
It actually arrived good to go but I gave it a final hit with some Maguiar's Ultimate Compound to get a tiny bit of shine to the top. The scratches suit the age of the guitar perfectly so there was no point looking for a mirror-like, scratch-free surface...

One fully polished, the other as it came...

The very slight opacity & swirl is perfect...

Not exactly like the originals but I think they look fantastic!...

I just need to decide which one to keep now! :unsure: