1965 Charcoal Frost Inspired Jazzmaster (PICTURE HEAVY)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Insomnicide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

1965 Charcoal Frost Inspired Jazzmaster (PICTURE HEAVY)

Post by Insomnicide » Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 pm

Hello all, I'm Rosie.
I've been a long time lurker, and thought I should finally post something here.

For a long time I have loved the Fender CBS transition era guitars and basses. It started off with my love of a 65 CFM Jazz bass I saw on Talkbass, and quickly spread from there.
Last year I became more of a guitarist than a bassist, and I decided to build a Jazzmaster that would suit my needs.
The main inspiration:

I was doing this on a bit of a budget, and jazzmaster pickups can be difficult to come by in Australia unless you go to a custom builder. With this in mind, I decided to use p90's, as I could get them easily and they are a sound I love.

This was the first mockup I did when parts started to arrive in the mail.

The body is made from Basswood, and is of a good weight. Fairly light, but still has enough mass to it to feel like a nice solid guitar. The electronics is a les paul junior harness that I bought online. I knew that I would never use the rhythm circuit, so it made things easier for me.

I wanted the knobs and covers to appear a bit aged, so I decided to try the coffee trick:

It worked ok, Not the best, but I was happy enough with the result.

Here's my first real gaffe:
In my rush to purchase a neck, I neglected to notice that it had a Telecaster heel. I sold this neck to a friend, and went shopping for another neck.

Whilst waiting for the neck to arrive, I ran into my second hurdle. The body routs were all made too large, which meant that the pick guard did not cover all the holes in the body. Because of this, I needed to add some wood to the internal cavities. I traced the shape of the cavity on tape and cut it out. Once it was cut out I could just stick the tape right on the wood, which made making plugs for the holes easy.

It's not a perfect fix, but I was able to fill the gaps with wood filler and make them flush with the body.

The next issue was that the routes for the pickups did not line up, which meant that I had to route out the center part of the body:

And now for the drilling of the neck holes and the fitting of the neck plate:
I love vintage MIJ guitars, and this was my little tribute to that. In the future I would like to get Neck Plates that are stamped "Made In Australia", but that will be many years down the track.

This picture also shows the pickguard and the paint I used to paint the body.

After fixing the body and making the neck screw holes, I was able to mock up and test all the components together.
Here you can see the stained pickup covers and Knobs, as well as the replacement neck I purchased.

Next I wired up the pickguard and added some pvc to cover the rhythm circuit holes.

Please excuse the dodgy wiring, that's now been fixed.

Whilst figuring out how to do the cover for the rhythm circuit I decided to redrill the holes on the trem, so they lined up better, which resulted in another mishap:

Luckily it was in a location where I could chisel out the drill bit and just glue some wood to plug the material removed by the chisel:
Last edited by Insomnicide on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insomnicide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1965 Charcoal Frost Inspired Jazzmaster (PICTURE HEAVY)

Post by Insomnicide » Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Now that the majority of the build had been done, it was time for painting.

Here is the neck taped up so I could paint the headstock:

While waiting for the paint to dry I used Jarrah wood filler and did a partial wood fill of the grain on the body:

I say partial, because I deliberately left it so that part of the grain would still show through the finish.

Here is the back after the wood filler and a clear coat, it has a great grain. Shame I couldn't do a transparent finish:

Front:

The body after the primer coat was applied and sanded back. The sand through was deliberate, as I wanted to hasten the aging process.

Shielding the pickguard:

And the body with the final coats applied and wetsanded after having the cavities shielded:

Whilst CFM was the inspiration, the colour used was described as pot metal black. This appears grey in sunlight, but black in lower lights

In more yellowed light it does start to appear a bit green, but nowhere near as much as actual CFM.

A year since building it, I have played it a lot, and the thin finish has shown wear quickly.

I had issues with pickup switches dying on me so I ripped out the bridge pickup and had it wired just as a neck pickup for a long time.

Insomnicide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Insomnicide » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:46 pm

This guitar has gone through it's fair share of hell:

During the end of this gig the body snapped in half:

I rewired it to add the Bridge Pickup back and added a series/ parallel switch to make it sound a bit more jag like. Pictured with a local bands 7" which I listened to while working on the wiring.

Sounding and looking as good as ever.

sporeleki
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sporeleki » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:43 pm

If you snapped the body in half, then you are doing it right!! Good goin'

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:55 pm

You know you are using the bridge of a Bass VI?

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:56 pm

real cool build - love the low budget tip :)
worked out great - looks 1000 times better than any relic because of the real abuse
The body snapping in half is a bit much but maybe but as long as you've managed to glue it together again you'Re good to go I guess ;)

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Damn that thing gave you some trouble in the beginning! It deserved the beating afterwards. Looks cool!
I love CF and beatup black-ish finishes.

I have a Jaguar in oiled Artissimo from Miss Mustard seed:
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

Insomnicide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Insomnicide » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:56 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. It's been lovely to see such a good response.
MrFingers wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:55 pm
You know you are using the bridge of a Bass VI?
Indeed I do. As one of the many issues around this body, the neck didn't quite line up right scale-wise with the bridge. The Staytrem bass VI bridge was the best fix for me. It's a drop in replacement for the existing ferrules, the string spacing is the same and the bigger size enabled me to intonate it properly.

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Cool guitar. But that body is a real lemon.

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:20 am

Insomnicide wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:46 pm
This guitar has gone through it's fair share of hell:

During the end of this gig the body snapped in half:

I rewired it to add the Bridge Pickup back and added a series/ parallel switch to make it sound a bit more jag like. Pictured with a local bands 7" which I listened to while working on the wiring.

Sounding and looking as good as ever.
Damn this is cool as fuck!!!! Also re:local band, does that mean you're from Adl? Melbourne here, lots of cool shit happening in Adelaide though.

Insomnicide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Insomnicide » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:14 pm

dylanafghjkl wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:20 am
Damn this is cool as fuck!!!! Also re:local band, does that mean you're from Adl? Melbourne here, lots of cool shit happening in Adelaide though.

Yeah, I'm from Adelaide. Just went over to Melbourne to see the Scientists and played a house party there. Good times.

So the repair didn't last long and has split again; Lemons only last so long. Going to commission a jazzmaster body from a local luthier when I have the cash saved.

In the mean time, this has become my number one:

Squier jag refinished in silver and given some nice stickers because a clean guitar is boring.

Sounds amazing.