Jazzblaster - Transparent Surf Green

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Aeon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jazzblaster - Transparent Surf Green

Post by Aeon » Tue May 23, 2017 6:57 pm

I present for your viewing pleasure, my recently completed JAZZBLASTER guitar!

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/OlSWI

I accumulated the components for this guitar over the course of several years, so the price was spread out over time. The final piece of the puzzle was the body which I won on an ebay auction earlier this year in March. I am glad that I was patient and waited for the best deals on the exact parts I wanted, rather than having to make any concessions or get price gouged by buying everything new or at once.

While I feel fairly accomplished and capable of doing my own guitar setups and basic luthiery work, I decided to pay for a pro to put it all together and do some of the trickier or tedious stuff (e.g. properly setting the neck and hardware; modifying the bridge post holes to fit the Mastery thimbles; properly and neatly shielding and grounding the interior wiring cavity and pickguard; doing a fantastic job with the electronics and wiring; installing a bone nut; getting the set-up and action absolutely perfect, etc.) If anyone happens to be in the Pittsburgh area, I can highly recommend Jason at Backstage Guitars in Lawrenceville -- he did a great job for a fair price.

Neck:
-Fender 60s Classic Player Strat neck
-Standard 25.5" scale-length
-Nice dark rosewood on quality maple
-Comfortable C-shape that has just the right amount of heft to it
-12" radius with 21 medium-jumbo frets
-Kluson vintage-style tuners
-Custom bone nut
-Mastery String Tree

Body:
-MJT one-piece swamp ash Jazzmaster body
-Transparent Surf Green finish in thin nitrocelluose with moderate wear pattern
-Light-weight -- fully assembled, the guitar weighs just a tad over 7lbs

Hardware:
-Mastery Bridge + inserts
-Mastery Tremolo
-Fender AVRI mint pickguard
-Black witch-hat knobs
-Schaller straplocks
-Strung w/10-gauge D'Addario strings

Electronics:
-Curtis Novak Widerange JM Humbuckers w/ chrome covers
-3 way pickup selector switch
-On/Off Kill Switch (in place of standard rhythm/lead circuit selector; no rhythm circuit vol/tone rollers)
-Master Volume, Master Tone w/500k potentiometers (this value seems to work much better for me than 1Meg in direct comparison)
-Switchcraft jack
-Top shelf cloth wiring, shielding and grounding

Sounds and Plays:
-Amazing and versatile. This will likely be taking over as my Number 1 instrument. The WR pickups really do an amazing job of retaining the clarity and wide EQ frequency response you'd expect from single coils, yet still gets the benefit of humbuckers: hum-canceling, increased output, and a smooth midrange compression. I still love standard JM single coils, but these provide an alternate voice that is every bit as useful.

There's only a couple more things I can think about adding to this project, and they are purely superficial changes:
-Change the neck decal to be Jazzmaster rather than stock Stratocaster
-maaaayyybee consider refinishing the neck in tinted nitro
-maybe consider distressing the rest of the guitar to match the body's patina. However, this will happen naturally over time.
-maybe consider different Vol/Tone knobs -- however I think Black seems to match the aesthetic

I'll try to make some time in the future to get a recording of it added to Youtube.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzblaster - Transparent Surf Green

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed May 24, 2017 11:23 am

That's lovely! Congrats. I have one of Novak's WRHBs on my Customaster, what a superb pickup. I guess this might not be so easy in a master vol / tone setup the way you have here, but on mine I have wired in a treble bleed on the neck position volume control so it works as a bass cut. This makes the pickup so versatile and usable as a Strat style neck pickup for really glassy percussive Hendrix style of I put the control from 4-7.
Happy playing!
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form