New offset project is underway (with photos) ~

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New offset project is underway (with photos) ~

Post by frpax » Fri May 19, 2017 7:24 am

Hello all! My first post here and I'm starting off with a new project!
After years of making my own Strat clones, my father and I (he is 78 and I'm 57-- in case anyone is wondering) are starting an offset guitar project!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A little history on this: Back in about 1973 or 1974, when I was a young teenager, my dad found (what we believe to be) a Hopf Telstar in a pawn shop. It had some damage to the body and it was $20. That was a lot of money for my dad back then, but he bought it. At first (and for many years, we didn't even know what brand of guitar it was; it had no name on it at all. The only clue was that under the pickguard, everything was written in German. It had 3 Schaller single coils, switches and roller knobs everywhere, a mute on the bridge, zero fret ebony fretboard, laminate neck, Fender Strat-ish style headstock, and was extremely cool. For years, my dad thought that it was a Framus, because that was one of the two German brands that he knew of. Framus and Hofner. Well, the only Hofner he knew about was Paul McCartney's bass, and this guitar certainly looked nothing like that, so he concluded that it was a Framus. (Since then, with the advent of the internet and looking at literally thousand's of German made offset guitars, we have concluded that it was a Hopf Telstar - BUT it was different than ANY Telstar that we have yet seen. Different control layout and a couple of other things...

Then about 1980 or so, my little brother decided he wanted to learn guitar and borrowed it from my dad. While in my brothers care, it was stolen from him. My dad was heartbroken. He has scoured the pawn shops religiously since then (yes, he's been to every pawn shop in the area pretty much monthly for 37 or so years) and he's NEVER seen it again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I've said, we've looked on the internet and have looked at many many German offset guitars, with the intention of buying one to replace it, but now, the prices are higher than my dad likes, SOooooo we decided to build one.

We found a First Act Strat style (ME-300) guitar and are using that as a donor. When I disassembled it, I was pleasantly surprised that the body (while crudely routed) was not plywood and is actual real wood! And the neck is pretty solid in it's own right! The electronics are junk (as expected), as are the tuners, but we can re-use the bridge (non-tremolo) and a few other odds and ends.

OK, on to some photos:

Here is what we started with:

Here are a couple of drawings of what we're looking to accomplish:

The exact pickup choice has yet to be determined. We are thinking about using an H-S-H arrangement, and have kicked around the idea of a Filtertron in the bridge, some sort of single coil in the middle, and a DeArmond style pickup in the neck. But we are (or should I say, my dad is) changing that on a daily basis!
Regardless, there will be Jazzmaster style roller knobs/pots above each pickup that will be Volume for each pickup; in the upper horn area will be a 5-way switch; below each pickup will be an On/Off slider switch; Strat-esque 3 knob arrangement that will be Tone for each pickup; and in the lower "horn" area will be a Master On/Off. Wiring is going to be a bugger, because I know of no guitar that has this exact arrangement, so if any of you wiring gurus can help me out on that, I'd be grateful!

Anyway, here's what we are up to and any comments or suggestions are welcome!

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: New offset project is underway (with photos) ~

Post by frpax » Fri May 19, 2017 8:26 pm

Worked on the neck and reshaped the headstock:

Dad wanted a Strat like shape. Not the same as a Strat, but similar.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:44 pm

frpax wrote:Image
Awesome project! I LOVE that headstock shape. Familiar and yet quite different...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sat May 20, 2017 7:11 am

just watch how much material you remove near the pocket
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frpax » Sat May 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Con-Tiki! wrote:just watch how much material you remove near the pocket
The drawing is a little deceiving. That line that looks like we are chopping it way back, really isn't what it's going to be. It's going to be as scallop sort of thing. There will be very little wood removed from the neck pocket area. It's hard to explain, though. You'll see as we go along.

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frpax » Sat May 20, 2017 8:42 pm

While I was at work today, dad did some cutting and shaping on the body:

Now that we have the actual body cut to the drawing, we both feel that the upper horn is too long and it looks out of balance. I think that the horn needs to be cut back about 1.25" and dad thinks that .75" is enough. We are "debating" that 1/2 inch!

More to come.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Sun May 21, 2017 2:49 am

I'm intrigued by this project and I like where is heading!!!
If it's not too late, I'm drawing and idea for your top horn.. :ph34r:

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Sun May 21, 2017 4:05 am

Your drawing catch my attention as the redesigned shape of the strat was leaning towards an Electric XII, so I went on AutoCAD and tried to overlap its horn on top of the current one..

Here without routes and switch guts:

Of course, if there were more wood in the horn department there would have been more leeway for a reshape but it already looks great nonetheless.
I'm looking forward to see how your project develops, so.. keep us updated!!

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frpax » Sun May 21, 2017 6:25 am

Amon!

You are awesome with that suggestion! We will definitely discuss it.
Thank you!

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frpax » Sun May 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Amon 7.L wrote:Your drawing catch my attention as the redesigned shape of the strat was leaning towards an Electric XII, so I went on AutoCAD and tried to overlap its horn on top of the current one..

Here without routes and switch guts:

Of course, if there were more wood in the horn department there would have been more leeway for a reshape but it already looks great nonetheless.
I'm looking forward to see how your project develops, so.. keep us updated!!
My dad REALLY appreciated you doing these AutoCAD drawings! Many many thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the cut on the upper horn that we settled on. My dad was right, only about 3/4 of an inch was required.

We haven't rounded over the corners yet, but I feel that the shorter horn looks much better already!

I also started staining the rosewood fretboard with some ebony stain:

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Mon May 22, 2017 2:59 am

No problem, kind sir!!
I'm glad the drawings are of any help :)

I like the progress you've made with the body, I'm getting curious and curious as the details are coming along..
Probably it's too early to ask but, have you guys decided which colour are you going with body and pickguard?

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frpax » Mon May 22, 2017 7:44 am

Amon 7.L wrote:No problem, kind sir!!
I'm glad the drawings are of any help

I like the progress you've made with the body, I'm getting curious and curious as the details are coming along..
Probably it's too early to ask but, have you guys decided which colour are you going with body and pickguard?
Oh yes, that decision was made prior to even finding the donor guitar! It will be gloss black with a 3 ply B/W/B pickguard. The pickup arrangement will be H/S/H with the middle single coil in a "reverse slant", opposite of the way the Strat bridge pickup is. The pickups will have "open" nickel covers (meaning covers on just on the sides with a teeny bit of wrap over the top, just around the perimeter of each pickup)/. The humbucker Tone knobs will have push/pull pots to split the coils. The debate on which exact pickups to use continues!

danp3man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danp3man » Tue May 23, 2017 12:57 am

Wow- this is shaping up to be a really cool project- what a great father/son endeavor! I'll be anxious to see the end result- your dad seems to be quite a skilled craftsman! I'll e following this thread with great interest! Good luck! :w00t:

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frpax » Wed May 24, 2017 11:56 am

More progress

What is that part we added, you ask? Next photo, please

More:

Primered:
(Yes. we are also working on a hot rod)

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923