Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Post Reply
User avatar
taverniti
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by taverniti » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:57 am

All the diagrams I can find are with 2 way slide switches with 6 lugs, I am using 3 way slide switches with 8 lugs.

That is where I am confused, I am not sure exactly which lugs to solder to. I think I have a general idea, I can wire it to do in phase and out of phase but I wanted to ask the professional first. I am just not sure how to wire it to a 3 way switch...

Thanks again!

User avatar
taverniti
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by taverniti » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:00 am

I think Kurt Cobain used a similar set up but with a single pickup in the neck. I believe he had 3-way switches. I would just need to know how to wire switch 1 with the humbucker in the neck.

Sorry to be such a pain!

Thank you for your help!

User avatar
Blomberg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:59 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by Blomberg » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:28 am

taverniti wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:00 am
I think Kurt Cobain used a similar set up but with a single pickup in the neck. I believe he had 3-way switches. I would just need to know how to wire switch 1 with the humbucker in the neck.

Sorry to be such a pain!

Thank you for your help!
The same as a single coil, I would imagine, since you don't have 4-conductor wiring on the humbuckers.
I believe this is the standard Mustang setup, someone correct me if that's wrong, I've never had standard wiring on mine.

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9232
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:06 pm

taverniti wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:00 am
I think Kurt Cobain used a similar set up but with a single pickup in the neck. I believe he had 3-way switches. I would just need to know how to wire switch 1 with the humbucker in the neck.

Sorry to be such a pain!

Thank you for your help!
You're not a pain! No worries man!

Blomberg wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:28 am
The same as a single coil, I would imagine, since you don't have 4-conductor wiring on the humbuckers. I believe this is the standard Mustang setup, someone correct me if that's wrong, I've never had standard wiring on mine.
Exactly right: treat it as a single coil at that point.

Here are the standard, and most common alternate, Mustang wiring schematics that I base all my Mustang wiring schematics on:
Standard:
Image

Mustang 5.0 (which seems to be more popular):
Image

I would personally go with the 5.0 schematic, but it's your call. Either of those should work. If you want anything different that's not here, let me know, and I can help you out with that!

Jason
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
taverniti
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by taverniti » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:39 am

Thanks a million for your help! I used the 5.0 wiring harness - this is one I stumbled across during my search, but was not sure how it would work with the single conductor humbuckers. But, it sounds great. Soldering the braided ground on the humbucker to make it look professional was a PITA but it turned out good!

Two of the switch positions sound identical and not sure why. I might do some more research and see if I can come up with something different (unless you have any ideas.) I did solder in a treble bleed so not sure if that has something to do with it.

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

This guitar was a bare body Warmoth. I stained it red, vinyl sealed along with 15 coats of nitro. I added a Toronado bridge, Warmoth maple neck with rosewood fretboard and Hip-shot locking tuners. The neck is unfinished with a coat of tru-oil. I just like the feel of a bare neck. You know the rest of the story: 3-way switches, Alpha pots, treble bleed and Seymour Duncan Blues '69 SH-1 hums.

Thanks again for the help, you got me out of the trenches and up on the stage!

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9232
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:47 pm

taverniti wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:39 am
Thanks a million for your help! I used the 5.0 wiring harness - this is one I stumbled across during my search, but was not sure how it would work with the single conductor humbuckers. But, it sounds great. Soldering the braided ground on the humbucker to make it look professional was a PITA but it turned out good!

Two of the switch positions sound identical and not sure why. I might do some more research and see if I can come up with something different (unless you have any ideas.) I did solder in a treble bleed so not sure if that has something to do with it.

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

This guitar was a bare body Warmoth. I stained it red, vinyl sealed along with 15 coats of nitro. I added a Toronado bridge, Warmoth maple neck with rosewood fretboard and Hip-shot locking tuners. The neck is unfinished with a coat of tru-oil. I just like the feel of a bare neck. You know the rest of the story: 3-way switches, Alpha pots, treble bleed and Seymour Duncan Blues '69 SH-1 hums.

Thanks again for the help, you got me out of the trenches and up on the stage!
Glad it mostly worked out! Do you have (or can you take) any pictures of the 2 switches? With the 5.0 schematic, they definitely shouldn't sound the same.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
taverniti
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by taverniti » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 am

I will have to take the pickgaurd off and snap a couple pics.

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9232
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:51 pm

taverniti wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 am
I will have to take the pickgaurd off and snap a couple pics.
Ok cool. I definitely want to see that.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
SY6655321
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by SY6655321 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:49 pm

I recently bought a Vox Ac15c1. When cranked, it sounds glorious. Unfortunately at home that's a no go... so I bought a Weber Minimass attenuator.

The attenuator has 1/4" jacks on the back. It's self explanatory, but i don't want to hardwire wire it to my amp.
Image

My idea is to install a jack plate like this. Wire the leads from the amp to one jack, and the speaker to the other.
Image

I'd like to install a 2-way switch on the jack plate that selects:
A) Amp leads to speaker (standard)
B) Amp and speaker leads to the jack plate.

How do I wire this without fucking up my amp? What kind of switch (do i need one of those heavy duty switches)?

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9232
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:31 am

SY6655321 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:49 pm
I recently bought a Vox Ac15c1. When cranked, it sounds glorious. Unfortunately at home that's a no go... so I bought a Weber Minimass attenuator.

The attenuator has 1/4" jacks on the back. It's self explanatory, but i don't want to hardwire wire it to my amp.
Image

My idea is to install a jack plate like this. Wire the leads from the amp to one jack, and the speaker to the other.
Image

I'd like to install a 2-way switch on the jack plate that selects:
A) Amp leads to speaker (standard)
B) Amp and speaker leads to the jack plate.

How do I wire this without fucking up my amp? What kind of switch (do i need one of those heavy duty switches)?
So, basically you want the switch to be A) all wiring internal (directly from the amplifier output to the speakers) or B) amplifier output to one jack, speaker input to another jack?

As for voltage, I'd say to look up specs or email Vox. Most 120VAC switches should handle higher than 120VAC. But definitely find out the voltages you'll need before doing anything.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
SY6655321
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by SY6655321 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:33 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:31 am
So, basically you want the switch to be A) all wiring internal (directly from the amplifier output to the speakers) or B) amplifier output to one jack, speaker input to another jack?
Ya thats exactly what I'm looking to do.

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9232
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:45 am

SY6655321 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:33 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:31 am
So, basically you want the switch to be A) all wiring internal (directly from the amplifier output to the speakers) or B) amplifier output to one jack, speaker input to another jack?
Ya thats exactly what I'm looking to do.
Ok cool. Give me a day or two.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
SY6655321
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by SY6655321 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:36 am

Much obliged.

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9232
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:08 pm

SY6655321 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:33 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:31 am
So, basically you want the switch to be A) all wiring internal (directly from the amplifier output to the speakers) or B) amplifier output to one jack, speaker input to another jack?
Ya thats exactly what I'm looking to do.
I found this PDF of the AC15C1 wiring schemtic. On page 3 (the bottom of the sheet says page 4) it shows a single 16-ohm speaker OR two 8-ohm speakers. It shouldn't matter for the switch, but I'm curious what you've got. Also, does your amp have the external speaker jacks (as shown just above that labelled J13 and J15)?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
SY6655321
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page!

Post by SY6655321 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:57 am

I've got the single 16ohm speaker, and it has the jacks

Post Reply