And we're off! Charcoal Frost Metallic siblings

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: And we're off! Charcoal Frost Metallic siblings

Post by Steadyriot. » Mon May 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Supa-Stang wrote:Looks like a great start. I'm actually considering either a body and neck from guitar build uk or just a body with neck from musicraft right now. How was the fit between the two? Any issues with neck angle?
I can't comment on musikraft, but my allparts neck and guitar build body went together great. If it's Fender size, it should fit.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

ViggoP
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ViggoP » Tue May 09, 2017 12:27 am

Supa-Stang wrote:Looks like a great start. I'm actually considering either a body and neck from guitar build uk or just a body with neck from musicraft right now. How was the fit between the two? Any issues with neck angle?
The fit is fine, the neck pockets aren't super snug but I think that is something positive. A very tight fit only seem to lead to cracks in the finish.

As far as neck angle goes, Fender neck pockets are never(?) angled. I got a couple of sets of these shims to take care of that when it's time for setup. http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Su ... uitar.html
Last edited by ViggoP on Tue May 09, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ViggoP
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ViggoP » Tue May 09, 2017 12:28 am

Steadyriot. wrote:Oof D&B and Charcoal Frost. Doesn't get much better than that.
I agree!

Supa-Stang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Supa-Stang » Tue May 09, 2017 12:49 am

ViggoP wrote:
The fit is fine, the neck pockets aren't super snug but I think that is something positive. A very tight fit only seem to lead to cracks in the finish.

As far as neck angle goes, Fender neck pockets are never(?) angled. I got a couple of sets of these shims to take care of that when it's time for setup. http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Su ... uitar.html
I've had some issues with parts builds where there is a hint of neck angle through different manufactures being x number of mills off and I know the Musikraft is licensed by Fender whereas I don't think GBUK are so that was my only concern. Yours looks great though. Musikraft currently offering old boardwalk wood from Coney Island instead of rosewood which is too cool 8) and possibly a winner for me. Just waiting for a quote from GBUK before deciding.

Watching this with interest

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Tue May 09, 2017 1:55 pm

I have managed to get several guitars over the past few years & have tried to not get 2 of the same color, which is hard because Fender only likes white, sunburst, black, or red it seems, but I would totally take matching charcoal frost guitars. It might be my favorite color for guitars.
We are merely moving shadows.

ViggoP
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ViggoP » Tue May 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Ok, finally! The weather has been really bad and humid lately but the last couple of days has been níce.

Some progress. Note there is a little dent on the forearm cutaway on the Jazzmaster body. A fly landed there while it was still wet. Had to sand that part down and respray it.

ViggoP
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ViggoP » Tue May 23, 2017 12:14 pm

ViggoP
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ViggoP » Tue May 23, 2017 12:15 pm

After "dusting" the surface with metallic paint to make the tiny metal flakes "stand up" to reflect more light.

ViggoP
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ViggoP » Tue May 23, 2017 12:15 pm

ViggoP
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ViggoP » Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 pm

Matching headstocks.

ViggoP
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ViggoP » Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 pm

ViggoP
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ViggoP » Tue May 23, 2017 12:17 pm

ViggoP
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ViggoP » Tue May 23, 2017 12:21 pm

As you can see, I've managed to get a lot of sanding dust on to the fretboards and they now look a lot lighter/more pale than before. Does anyone have a tip to clean the fretboards from the dust? It's a bit difficult since rosewood is a little porous.
Otherwise, I'm super happy with how they come along. Next up will be clear coats.