Are Jazzmaster and Strat necks the same?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
straightblues
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Are Jazzmaster and Strat necks the same?

Post by straightblues » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:09 pm

I am putting together a Jazzmaster and have a Strat neck laying around that I was going to use. I think they are the same but figured I should ask if there are any differences.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Are Jazzmaster and Strat necks the same?

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Pretty much the same.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:14 pm

The heel and neck pocket are identical, so you can use the necks interchangeably.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

straightblues
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by straightblues » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Is the headstock different?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:40 pm

A little bit. There are some minor variations between years of models, but this is what I think of as the basic difference between head shapes:
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:07 pm

I have used a strat neck on a jazzmaster. As stated above, neck pockets and neck heels are identical. The more substantial body of jazzmaster will make the strat headstock look even smaller if it is '60s style headstock, but that's not a functional issue.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm

It's a well discussed fact around these parts that many unscrupulous guitar sellers have taken old Jazzmaster necks, particularly pre-CBS ones, reshaped the headstocks, slapped on a $trat decal and put them on old $trat bodies to make a bigger profit.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:22 am

Hmm, if the headstock shape IS the ONLY difference how does reshaping the headstock 'matter' ?

THE FOLLOWING is my PERSONAL opinion:

I don't 'get' the obsession with vintage gear for the sake of 'vintage' if that's the issue . . . . . if there are other differences with the modern equivalent or there is some other reason (I can get SRV's or JH's strats are valuable for the fact that they were played by . . .) I can get that; but vintage for the sake of 'vintage' . . .

I can get it with flutes where vintage instruments (or modern reproductions) play (and can sound) substantially different from the modern equivalents (due to different choices in materials and mechanics), and possibly - especially hand made - acoustic guitars and other stringed instruments where the choices of the builder at the time may not be obvious OR reproducible in modern times . . . or in sail boats where the olympic classes of previous years (in wood) have all been superseded by modern fiberglass and aluminium boats where the sailing 'feels' substantially different (and once again, if you can find them, modern reproductions may be as good as the original) . . . . but really there is so little difference (in my admittedly non collectors/professional opinion), and many people run the signal trough so many effects, that in the end a brand new strat or tele or . . . - made to vintage specs - can be made to sound - and play -indistinguishable from one made in 1968. So the value of most vintage electric guitars not played by well known historical figures (with proven provenance) is due to . . . . what? The only distinguishing feature is sentimentality as far as I can see.
Last edited by hpr_hpr on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:58 am

hpr_hpr wrote:Hmm, if the headstock shape IS the ONLY difference how does reshaping the headstock 'matter' ?
Ask the guy who buys a neck he was conned into thinking was off a pre-CBS Strat, only to be told, when re-selling it that it's a lowly Jazzmaster neck & worth a quarter of the value. I've only heard stories of this and, in this day & age of the glorious interwebz, it's probably unlikely. Still, I'd be fucking pissed off if it was me.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:05 pm

True . . . . BUT . . . Joe Mombasa has at least one strat he claims is a '61 I think but then IMMEDIATELY says that as far as he knows the neck hasn't been off of it since it was made so it may be . . . . whatever (probably not, he grew up with this stuff and knows it probably like the back of his hand so he's more than likely correct). He likes it and that's all that matters to him. Unless you are going into a deal to make money, in which case you BETTER know EXACTLY what you are doing - and be able to spot the fakes (as in any collectors situation), if YOU like it and it's worth the asking price to YOU, why should you be disappointed?

People are conned in this kind of situation ALL THE TIME . . . any kind of situation where value is perceived and not directly linked to the item sold lends it's self to it . . . . . and even in situations where value IS directly linked (Stocks or bonds come to mind) it still happens when you don't do your due diligence . . . .

One (more) reason I would never by vintage anything for the sake of 'vintage' . . . in most cases I don't know enough to make sure it is what they say it is, it will be more expensive, and the modern equivalent is more than good enough.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

straightblues
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by straightblues » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Thanks very much for the help guys. I didn't realize there was a difference in head stock shape.