Mustang questions

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
bokoharambe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Mustang questions

Post by bokoharambe » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:33 am

Hey all,

Just picked a '76 Mustang and it is lovely. Nice baseball neck and beautiful ash body (though it's pretty dang heavy - 8 pounds!!!)

If I use 10-52 strings on my Jazzmaster, what gauge should I use on this guitar? Whatever is on there right now is WAY too light (I don't know what gauge, but feels like 42s).
The pickups suck though. Any suggestions for replacements?
Also, the tremolo bar won't stay in - it keeps following out. Any idea how to make sure it stays in?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mustang questions

Post by Embenny » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 am

1) String gauge - if you enjoy the tension of 10's on a JM, you will like either 11s or 12s on a Mustang. 11s will be a little lower tension, and 12s a little higher tension, than the JM. Look up how to adjust the spring tension on the Dynamic Vibrato and make sure it's on the highest tension notch if you're using those gauges.

2) Pickups. Any strat-shaped pickup will fit under Mustang covers/into a Mustang, with no mods. You can choose literally any strat or Mustang pickup you desire, from any maker you like. There are too many good options to choose from - strats have probably the most aftermarket pickup options of any Fender guitar.\

3) Sounds like you might have gotten an MIJ trem arm because they lost the vintage arm. They're different diameters. Alternatively, there's a little screw that lets you adjust the opening for the trem arm - check that that isn't too lose (or missing). All of these could be the issue.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

bokoharambe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Mustang questions

Post by bokoharambe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:51 pm

mbene085 wrote:1) String gauge - if you enjoy the tension of 10's on a JM, you will like either 11s or 12s on a Mustang. 11s will be a little lower tension, and 12s a little higher tension, than the JM. Look up how to adjust the spring tension on the Dynamic Vibrato and make sure it's on the highest tension notch if you're using those gauges.

2) Pickups. Any strat-shaped pickup will fit under Mustang covers/into a Mustang, with no mods. You can choose literally any strat or Mustang pickup you desire, from any maker you like. There are too many good options to choose from - strats have probably the most aftermarket pickup options of any Fender guitar.\

3) Sounds like you might have gotten an MIJ trem arm because they lost the vintage arm. They're different diameters. Alternatively, there's a little screw that lets you adjust the opening for the trem arm - check that that isn't too lose (or missing). All of these could be the issue.
String gauge was a great upgrade. I put on 11-50s and it sounds great. I appear to be missing the screw for the trem arm. Any idea where to get a replacement?