Jazzmaster - Dual Volume, Dual Tone, Series / Parallel ?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
R_Steezy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmaster - Dual Volume, Dual Tone, Series / Parallel ?

Post by R_Steezy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Wondering if anyone has a diagram handy for this wiring mod? This is my first venture into custom wiring and I'm hitting a wall figuring this out on my own.

Independent volume pots.
Independent tone pots (treble rolloff) on the rhythm circuit slider pots.
Series / Parallel switch on rhythm 2-way switch.

I know this is similar to the Andy Rothstein series parallel mod, but I'm not looking for a master tone stack. I need independent tone pots a la Les Paul's.

Thanks!

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster - Dual Volume, Dual Tone, Series / Parallel

Post by CorporateDisguise » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:40 am

I have done half of this mod with the dual volume and tone. I just used a 50s les paul wiring diagram. You may want to change the pots in rhythm circuit to 500k or 1meg mini pots because the standard ones have an odd taper in anything but the rhythm ciruit.( for me anyway) I'm pretty sure Rothstein sells those. This mod makes the guitar so versatile.
I'm sure you could find a gibson wiring diagram with a series/paralell switch. Good luck.

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by _nash » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:49 am

R_Steezy wrote: Independent volume pots.
Independent tone pots (treble rolloff) on the rhythm circuit slider pots.
Series / Parallel switch on rhythm 2-way switch.
When you say independent do you mean 2 vol and 2 tone or do you mean the difference between 50's and modern Les Paul wiring?

Depending on the answer:

R_Steezy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by R_Steezy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:33 am

_nash wrote:
When you say independent do you mean 2 vol and 2 tone or do you mean the difference between 50's and modern Les Paul wiring?

I mean to say 2 vol and 2 tone. I have 1M audio pots for the (2) volumes and 1M mini linears with orange drops for the (2) tones.

Backstory: I'm currently running the 2 vol / 2 tone setup, but the 2-way rhythm switch is wired as a killswitch rather than series / parallel. I picked up a used JM that had one of the 920D modern wiring harnesses installed. I'm just looking to take it to the next level. 920D has the tone pots and the pickup leads wired to Lug 1 of each volume pot. Output on Lug 2 to 3-way switch. Then from there to the 2-way killswitch and then input jack. When I look at Rothstein's wiring it's more nuanced with neck pickup lead wired to the 2-way switch, bridge ground to the 2-way, etc. Differing from Rothstein's, I don't need a master tone section.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

920D
https://www.siglermusiconline.com/colle ... ill-switch

Andy Rothstein
http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_jazzmaster_stb.html

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by _nash » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:42 am

Then you should be able to use the above diagram. Unless I'm missing something.

R_Steezy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by R_Steezy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:58 am

_nash wrote:Then you should be able to use the above diagram. Unless I'm missing something.
EDIT x 2

Ok, let's see if I'm on the right track. Can somebody here please check this diagram I put together? Will this work?

Mainly focused on if I have the yellow and orange correct..

R_Steezy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by R_Steezy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:38 pm

So... I wired it up according to the diagram I created above. Success!

I have SD Antiquity I's in this Jazzmaster and they sound really great and warm. I haven't been able to play super loud yet, but I do notice a slightly more beefy tone when in series. I have actually never played any guitar pickups wired in series, so I kinda expected more output or bite compared to parallel. I'd describe it as more oomph in the low-end. Perhaps it's just the Antiquity I's and their inherent warmness being compounded. Regardless, I'm excited to mess around with it. Plus I still get the killswitch in when in series more and I select the neck position.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:02 pm

I really like this idea. I might do this myself sometime.
+1
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:29 pm

damn this seems cool - just need to buy another jazzmaster to put this into

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by _nash » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:43 am

Have you ever played a guitar with a himbucker?
Series in a Jag or JM is very similar. The only difference might be the distance between coils and whether they're RWRP or not.
Marr added a series only bright switch to his to make up for the muddiness of the pickups in series. I have a variable series only bright in my Jag. I like it a lot.

R_Steezy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by R_Steezy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:37 am

Oh yeah, I'm a former Les Paul and 72' Tele Deluxe guy so that's why I was so interested in wiring up a series between these pickups. The bright switch sounds really awesome. Actually, can someone enlighten me on how bright switches work? Are they essentially high pass filters or is the low-end retained and the treble is somehow boosted?

Series mode aside, the more I play around with these SD Antiquity I's, the more I'm realizing they might just be too warm and mellow for my tastes. I'm probably going to swap these out for Antiquity II's or perhaps the Curtis Novak JM-V (neck) + JM-FAT (bridge). I bet those would sound killer in series.

kosta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kosta » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:59 pm

R_Steezy wrote:Series mode aside, the more I play around with these SD Antiquity I's, the more I'm realizing they might just be too warm and mellow for my tastes. I'm probably going to swap these out for Antiquity II's or perhaps the Curtis Novak JM-V (neck) + JM-FAT (bridge). I bet those would sound killer in series.
If you try the Rothstein STB wiring, the bass rolloff might help add crunch and focus to the JM pickups. I really love that wiring in one of my Jazzmasters. Really tightens things up.

Ctte2112
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ctte2112 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:18 pm

R_Steezy wrote:Actually, can someone enlighten me on how bright switches work? Are they essentially high pass filters or is the low-end retained and the treble is somehow boosted?
You can't boost passively, so it has to be a high pass. If you want to add one to a guitar, just add a cap in the signal path and a resistor to a switch that connects to ground in one position and nothing in the other. Look up "RC filter calculator" to figure out what values to use, just make sure the cap is large enough that without the resistor connected to ground your signal is basically unfiltered.

A simpler way would be to put a small cap on one side of a DPDT with the other side having a jumper between poles, which is similar to how the strangle switch is done. The problem with this is that you don't get the control over the cutoff frequency that you do with a proper high pass filter.

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by _nash » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:52 am

Ctte2112 wrote:The problem with this is that you don't get the control over the cutoff frequency that you do with a proper high pass filter.
You can if you wire it with a pot. You can also pick the cap value if you don't have an open pot to use.

And yes, all controls in a guitar remove part of the signal unless the guitar has active electronics (and a battery).

Ctte2112
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ctte2112 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:33 am

_nash wrote:
Ctte2112 wrote:The problem with this is that you don't get the control over the cutoff frequency that you do with a proper high pass filter.
You can if you wire it with a pot. You can also pick the cap value if you don't have an open pot to use.
Of course you can use a pot, but I was talking specifically about using a cap alone for high pass. Picking different cap values will change the filtering, but because it's not part of an RC filter I don't know of any way to calculate the cutoff frequency.