Jazzmaster - Dual Volume, Dual Tone, Series / Parallel ?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mike fried
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster - Dual Volume, Dual Tone, Series / Parallel

Post by mike fried » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:30 pm

There's really no need to reinvent the wheel by trying to calculate the cutoff frequency (a complex task for all but EEs I think, there's pickup inductance and reactance to factor in as well as resistance and capacitance). If the Jag's stock .003mf is too thin, just use a slightly larger cap (or parallel smaller caps to it until your ears tell what sounds best). And visa-versa as well, go incrementally smaller if not thin enough.

Ctte2112
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ctte2112 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:58 am

Good point, for some reason I was thinking about it as if someone were starting with nothing rather than modifying an existing circuit despite naming said circuit in my post. :fp:

khodzhayev
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Jazzmaster - Dual Volume, Dual Tone, Series / Parallel ?

Post by khodzhayev » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:42 am

Would this mod be possible to do with the JMascis pickups? I think I read somewhere that Rothstein said it couldn't work with those pickups.

Thx

R

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:33 am

R_Steezy wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:58 am
_nash wrote:Then you should be able to use the above diagram. Unless I'm missing something.
EDIT x 2

Ok, let's see if I'm on the right track. Can somebody here please check this diagram I put together? Will this work?

Mainly focused on if I have the yellow and orange correct..

<zombie thread alert>
doing this for an upcoming build with a 1 meg pot for the neck and 500k for the bridge.

Somnospeed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster - Dual Volume, Dual Tone, Series / Parallel ?

Post by Somnospeed » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:04 pm

I did a 2 vol/2 tone pot setup on my JM. I have never found tone adjustments on Fenders to be very useful. More like a search for the ONE decent spot on the dial and when you find it, you leave it. That is until I bought a Tele Deluxe. Treble bleeds help a lot for finding useful tones, but there is just no substitute for individual volume and tone pots, in my opinion. 4 pots basically allows you to fine tune in ways a standard Fender setup just can't. When I want to recreate with my guitar the exact tone I have in my head, it just seems to always require fine adjustments that I couldn't get with a standard Fender setup.
Basically I wanted a Tele Deluxe wrapped in a Jazzmaster body (a "Jazzblaster", if you will.) So I grabbed a Tele Deluxe wiring diagram and went to work. I also used a Les Paul wiring kit diagram, as someone mentioned earlier. Adding the additional options and upgrading the electronics to 1 meg and vintage wiring turned my Jazzmaster from a cool sounding guitar to one capable of sounding like a professional studio musician. As far as the clarity goes, the analogy that comes to mind is that it went from sounding like a cowbell ringing to sounding like crystal bells ringing. I have never heard a guitar with a tone this clear, with my own ears anyway. I'm actually not a big fan of clean guitar tones, ironically. But the clarity is quite impressive so I find myself playing more clean stuff since this build. The WRHB with proper pots and wiring is possibly the most crystal clear humbucker tone out there.

Now that that's said... My setup is almost NOTHING like yours lol. My JM is still in the prototype stages as this is the first time I have ever built a guitar, or ever done any soldering at all, for that matter. But after getting the 4 pot system in place, I was feeling empowered! ;D So I didn't stop there. I added a 5th pot! :derp: I installed an EMG Strat Presence Control, which is a fully adjustable midrange boost. With the knob at zero, it doesn't change the tone or volume at all. Start rolling that knob forward and WOW! And I'm not talking about just adding noise, I'm talking about my guitar's natural tone is still 100%, just with more mids, a mild volume boost, and a tone like you turned up the gain on a tube amp.
Like I said, it's a prototype still. First I had to see if I could get all this crap to work together, then figure how to cram it all under the pickguard. A tall task having to stuff 5 pots and a 9v battery under the hood without heavy routing. I managed with just minor, very clean routing. I have another pickguard ready once I finalize the placement. I haven't ruled out heavy routing to add a spot for the 9v with rear battery door access, to free up some space for the NEXT switch, knob, dial, button, pickup I decide to add! A month ago I had never touched a soldering iron or even contemplated using a power saw on a guitar (The plunge saw is a godsend!) Now I'm out here Frankensteining cheap guitars while my expenso guitars gather dust! :) Sorry for the long post, I'm just geeked that I can now turn any guitar into whatever I want it to be.