Bridge for Squier JMJM

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ArtieFisk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Bridge for Squier JMJM

Post by ArtieFisk » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:09 am

I'm also looking for a replacement for the standard Adjust-O-Matic bridge that comes on the Squier JMJM. Of course, it can't be a Mustang bridge or Mastery bridge, or anything like that, because it's stationary (i.e., doesn't rock with the strings as every other goshdarn bridge on Fender offsets seems to do). It has to be an Adjust-O-Matic or Tune-O-Matic variant.

I've got a Wilkinson roller bridge on there right now, and I love the idea of a roller bridge. Tuning stability issues were much reduced, and you pretty much can't break a string at the bridge with rollers. The problem is the radius. The roller I have is, I think, probably something like a 10" or 12" radius. The Squier JMJM has a 9.5 radius fingerboard. Now, I know that J Mascis himself likes it that way, with the high and low Es too high off the fretboard, but it's impossible to get the action the way I want it with this configuration. I know, it's like "DUH," but I'm just trying to be thorough and clear.

I have searched, and can't find anywhere a roller-equipped Tune-O-Matic or Adjust-O-Matic that is anywhere near a 9.5 radius. And I know that with a standard Adjust-O-Matic or Tune-O-Matic, you can file down the high and low E saddles, and then file down the A and B saddles a bit less, in accordance with the desired radius, and that's fine, but I really didn't like the way the Adjust-O-Matic worked with the trem system on this guitar, and most importantly, I don't have the requisite files (yes, $200 or so spent at Stew Mac would get me the set, but I can't spend that much on files right now).

So, I found out that Staytrem made a drop-in replacement with rounded saddles, a 9.5" radius, the right string spread, and the right post-to-post measurements for the Squier JMJM. But of course, they no longer make them. They come up once in a while on Reverb used, but they end up selling for more than $100 bucks and are usually shipping from Europe so the shipping cost is high, too. And honestly, spending another hundred-plus bucks on this guitar right now just doesn't seem like the best idea (just spent $200 on the pickups and wiring harness, and the wife wasn't thrilled).

So does anyone know of another roller-equipped or rounded-saddle Adjust-O-Matic or Tune-O-Matic style bridge that has a 9.5" radius and a post-to-post measurement of, I think, 74mm?

I have one of these (https://www.amazon.com/Locking-matic-Gu ... ge_o00_s00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), bought for another guitar, and it's the wrong radius.

I know that what I'm looking for probably doesn't exist, but I figured this is the place to ask.

And yes, I did peruse the earlier thread on Squier JMJM bridges, but was hoping that someone who missed that thread might have some answers.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bridge for Squier JMJM

Post by pscates » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:49 pm

While this doesn't solve your problem right away (possibly never), I'm guessing those new Mustang style bridges on the new American Professional line of offsets are built at 9.5" to perfectly match the neck radius on these models.

So maybe - maybe - Fender will start selling that as a standalone part? If so, you'd be set (or a lot closer to what you're after).

I figure lots of Squier VM Jazzmaster and Jaguar owners would be interested (assuming it's a reasonable, $50 or lower (street pricing) vs. the Staytrem and Mastery pricing). And there are some other 9.5"-equipped Fender offsets in the lineup (some have the Adjust-o-matic bridge which may or may not require a bit of additional tweaking, I don't know).

In any case, it seems like Fender themselves could be the savior here, if they wanted. Especially if they're selling several 9.5"-equipped offsets already. Why not sell a hassle-free, one-groove-per-barrel, preset 9.5" Mustang style bridge for those wanting to replace their threaded or AOM versions on the various 9.5"-based models?

Surprised that some third-party outfit hasn't done this, even. I've certainly seen sillier, much more niche stuff than this available.

**NOTE: With all the above, I'm assuming these new Mustang style bridges on the American Professional Jazzmaster and Jaguar are at a 9.5" radius. I know the necks are 9.5", and for something called the "American Professional" line, you think they would've taken the time and opportunity to design/build a new Mustang-style bridge at the proper, matching radius (if they haven't, and have just thrown on the standard 7.25" Mustang bridge...then ignore all the above, with my apologies). But I'd like to think Fender wasn't that boneheaded and corner-cutting...

Drewbertca
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Drewbertca » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:49 pm

I put Grub screws in the bottom of the threaded thimbles and dropped in a Stew Mac Golden age bridge. rocks nice, screws are solid (i bought the metric and forced them in the imperial thread or vice versa to ensure they stayed - Mostly because I couldn't find the exact size locally). next string change I'm going to threadlock them in. I love the change.

op4blushift
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by op4blushift » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:37 am

Supposedly (I've never used a wilkinson roller bridge, nor do I have a JM) you can make your own shims and fit them underneath the saddles of the roller bridge and re-radius it how you like. It probably won't be exact, but it should help fix up the action.

Got this off this thread on SS: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... 05#1000805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps.

ArtieFisk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ArtieFisk » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:56 pm

It just might help, actually. Thanks!

And Guitarfetish has them for $25!

ArtieFisk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ArtieFisk » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:57 pm

By my measurements, the post spacing on the Squier JMJM is 74 mm, and the Wilkinson is, too! Hallelujah! A drop-in replacement, as long as the string spread is ok. And I can radius it! Woohoo!

ArtieFisk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ArtieFisk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:31 am

Been collating measurements on this. Maybe it will help someone else in the same boat.

The Squier JMJM:
*Post-to-post 74mm
*Neck radius 9.5"
*Stock bridge radius 12". J Mascis likes it this way. I'm not as big a fan.
*Ideal string spread 50.5-52mm (by my reckoning and taste)

Stew Mac locking roller bridge (brand unspecified):
*Post-to-post 73.82mm
*Radius comes at 14" but saddles can be individually shimmed
*String spread 50.8mm.
It is here:
http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Par" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ridge.html
They sell for $29.99

Wilkinson roller bridge (sold by Guitarfetish):
*Post-to-post 73mm
*Radius comes at either 12" or 14" but saddles can be individually shimmed.
*String spread -They don't specify, but by my math, it should 52.5mm. The schematic says that from one saddle to another the distance is 10.5mm, so 5 x 10.5 : 52.5mm
It is here:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson-B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... p_866.html
They sell for $24.95

The Staytrem model that was designed specifically for this guitar is no longer made. They pop up once in a while on Reverb and/or eBay for around $100. The Staytrem is a true drop-in replacement and needs no shimming, but paying over $100 plus shipping is a bit too steep for me at the moment.

The Mastery Bridge (even more expensive) can't be used on a Squier JMJM because they are designed to pivot, while the Squier JMJM's bridge is designed to be stationary.

The Stew Mac bridge seems like the best option, all around. The post-to-post measurement is only .18mm off (on the side), and should require only minimal filing if any to fit. The string spread is also narrow enough to keep the high and low E strings well clear of the fretboard edges, a problem (for me st least) with the stock bridge.

Anyone who has any info on other options, please share in this thread.

funkynova66
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by funkynova66 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:26 am

What did you end up choosing? Trying to find a replacement bridge for my JM JM without modifications.

hecubus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hecubus » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:21 pm

I am not the OP, but I faced a similar issue on my Classic Player. I bought one of the American Professional bridges (9.5 radius with barrell saddles) and removed the posts. I drilled holes to match the Adjustomatic posts and popped it on. It looks a little odd with the bridge posts sticking up, but no one outside of this site would notice.

hecubus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hecubus » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:25 pm

bonedigger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bonedigger » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:42 pm

Curious if you have the part number on this fender am-pro bridge? Seems like there were a couple made, I'm looking to replace the AOM bridge on a Cobain Jaguar and mostly curious about getting post spacing specs and how complicated this mod is, seems pretty simple unless I'm missing something?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:23 pm

bonedigger wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:42 pm
Curious if you have the part number on this fender am-pro bridge? Seems like there were a couple made, I'm looking to replace the AOM bridge on a Cobain Jaguar and mostly curious about getting post spacing specs and how complicated this mod is, seems pretty simple unless I'm missing something?
Fender narrowed the E-E spacing to 52mm on the 9.5" radius Am Pro bridge after the early ones had issues with E's falling off the fretboard edge. But they did not change the part number (7709942000). You should be safe with retail sources but you would need to check spacing if buying secondhand. They don't usually come with thimbles. The thimble OD is likely less than that of the stock Gotoh AOM (0091718000) on the Cobain, so you would need to drill, dowel, and re-drill. Or you could use one of the compromise solutions (eg drill through the base plate for existing posts, or upside-down cupped-end metric grub screws in the bottom of existing screw bushings).

https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-am ... 709942000/
https://www.angela.com/fenderbridgeasse ... aster.aspx
https://www.guitarpartsfactory.us/index ... 7709942000
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:26 pm

The only 9.5” radius roller bridge I know of are the Mosrite copies. The height of these bridges are prohibitive for most solid bodies, however.

All bridges rock. Some better than others. A TOM/AOM will work for subtle use, because of the play in the post and thread tolerances. Roller bridges reduce the friction, obviously, but they rock as well before they roll. It is the differential resistance that each string exhibits on the saddle that determines the point where the string slides or rocks. It’s not black and white, the idea of friction/rocking bridges vs sliding/frictionless bridges. It’s always a combination of the two.

I’m not hung up the radius too much. I’m not playing super precise sweep picking or enough deep bends to matter that much. I use a 12” radius ABM roller bridges every time for TOM/AOM bridge posts, even on 9.5” radius necks. The frame is milled brass, the rollers well machined. Tonally, very similar to the solid bar bridges I prefer. I have one my CP Jag, My Firebird with Les Trem, and a Gretsch G5622 w/ Bigsby. Worth the premium, but I miss the old price at $75.

50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

bonedigger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bonedigger » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:06 am

Nice, I've been looking at those ABM bridges as well, those seem like a great solution for the upgrade I'm looking for with minimal alterations