Remove headstock paint over gloss?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
WillyP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Remove headstock paint over gloss?

Post by WillyP » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi everyone.

I purchased a Squire J. Mascis Jazzmaster online that the previous owner had painted the headstock face a white which does not match the body. Does anyone know if there's a way I can remove the white paint without damaging the gloss underneath?

Thanks so much.

vandahm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Remove headstock paint over gloss?

Post by vandahm » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:53 pm

If they used nitrocellulose to paint the headstock, acetone should clean it off without harming the polyester gloss underneath.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:01 pm

vandahm wrote:If they used nitrocellulose to paint the headstock, acetone should clean it off without harming the polyester gloss underneath.
If you get lucky, it will be this, and if really lucky, they might not even have sanded the original finish. If they did sand, but didn't ruin the label, you could respray clear coat and then progressively wet sand and polish.

WillyP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillyP » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:46 am

They did a shitty job painting the headstock, I'm sure its not nitro.

The point of my question is so I don't have to redo the gloss on the front of the headstock. If I was going to do that I wouldn't have asked, I would have just sanded it and refinished it.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:04 am

I don't think you're going to find any substance that will remove the paint of unknown composition while leaving the underlying poly unaffected but I think the poly finish can be retained without need of a respray if you're gentle about things and resolve to polish it, at least.

The guys who are into dulling poly finishes by means of scotchbrite pads and whatnot mention from time to time that if you don't like your dull job you can always polish it back to shiny. They spray that stuff on so thick that there's generally some room to go back and forth.

I suggest you wet sand the white paint off with very fine sandpaper (1000-1500 grit) on a sanding block and just let it take as long as it needs to at that grit, which won't be fast. When you do start breaking through to the clear in spots you can then switch to a more targeted approach. I use small pieces of firm foam to back the sandpaper for things like that. The goal, of course, is to avoid sanding the original poly as much as possible. If the previous guy didn't mess it up before painting it, you should end up with a dulled but salvageable original finish that you can then polish back up to speed.

WillyP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillyP » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:35 am

Thanks Horsefeather! I'll follow your instructions. Most appreciated. Regards.

Natar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Natar » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:08 am

Horsefeather wrote:I suggest you wet sand the white paint off with very fine sandpaper (1000-1500 grit) on a sanding block and just let it take as long as it needs to at that grit, which won't be fast. When you do start breaking through to the clear in spots you can then switch to a more targeted approach. I use small pieces of firm foam to back the sandpaper for things like that. The goal, of course, is to avoid sanding the original poly as much as possible.
This is great advice. Just an alternative suggestion if this doesn't work, or if the previous owner sanded the original poly finish away: I have refinished the face of a Squier headstock to natural and the result looked great.

You can sand the face of the headstock down to bare wood, tape the sides of the headstock as if you were painting a matching headstock, and lightly spray neck amber (I used a can from Stewmac) until you can match the top to the sides. I didn't have any issues with overlapping amber looking too dark or anything... I also sprayed a tiny amount of neck amber on the sides to be sure it blended, then clear coated it and wet sanded, etc. Turned out great. You would never be able to tell that the headstock was refinished.

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by will » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:55 pm

You can try "Pine Sol" cleaner - I used to use it to remove cheap Krylon from plastic. You can just dampen a rag with the stuff and then place it over the headstock - it should get the paint to wrinkle and peel in a couple hours (you can put a plastic bag over it so it doesn't dry out.)

frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frelonvert » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:40 pm

If I were you I will try first acetone free nail polish remover. Very Cheap.
I have enterely clean a punked yamaha guitar with it, removed the can paint over the original finish easaly.
Take care the skons is evrywhere !

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:38 am

Yeah, acetone would be an easy thing to try first! I remember using nail polish remover as a kid to remove silly graphics from Matchbox cars. It would wipe the stripes right off but leave the underlying paint job unaffected.