New Custom Scratch Build - The Narwhal (Lots of Pics!)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
overpwredbyfunk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: New Custom Scratch Build - The Narwhal (Lots of Pics!)

Post by overpwredbyfunk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:55 pm

Greetings digital friends! sorry for the unusual delay in completing this build, but I had some other activities come up. I'm happy to say the narwhal is done! Thanks for your patience!

So, first of all I moved . . . a whole zip code away. Not very far, but it ate into my free time for the build for a while.

I also got engaged! And uh, I had to lie about what I was doing in the shop. I made my (now) fiancee think I was working on the guitar, but I was really working on a box for the engagement ring. It was fun seeing her get mildly aggravated thinking I was screwing around, when I was really up to serious business.

First, I designed the thing

Then I did a 3D printed prototype

Then I moved to wood

Out of the CNC

Finish Sanded

Magnets installed. Hinges are silly

Test fit with the ring

And finally clear coated. It's Patagonian Rosewood for anyone curious. I did the deed down in Argentina, so thought it'd be appropriate

Okay--enough of that detour. Back to the guitar. So, because of my time constraints, I ended up just ordering a Warmoth neck. Truth be told, I shit the bed on my attempt to hand rasping and ate a little too much wood. And all that happened right before I needed to get on a plane to Argentina, so I didn't have time to deal with it. I still have a slab of pretty birdseye and cocobolo and i'm hoping to eventually make a neck for the guitar from scratch. But for now, I had some shows and recording dates I was eager to have the guitar complete for.

Historically I've had a lot of luck with Warmoth necks, but this one was a bit unsatisfying, so I had to do a lot of fretwork to the thing to get it in playable condition. There were a lot of high frets and in some places on the guitar I'd fret a note, and it'd go up a full step or step and a half. The neck required a full fret leveling, dressing, crowning, beveling, and polishing. Now it plays great.

https://youtu.be/zwUPw2waPCU
Here's a link to me testing it out on YouTube. Signal chain is just the guitar into a Fender Hot Rod DeVille (2x12), Shure Beta 57, Apogee Duet, Logic Pro.

Thanks for following along! Not sure what I'll build next. Maybe a St. Vincent style guitar? I'll post the neck build when I get to it here as well.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:02 am

Engagement ring box should have had a little tort triangle pick guard. You blew it. ;)

[Awesome guitar and box! Also congrats!]

overpwredbyfunk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by overpwredbyfunk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:Engagement ring box should have had a little tort triangle pick guard. You blew it.

[Awesome guitar and box! Also congrats!]
Thanks!

danp3man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danp3man » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:00 am

overpwredbyfunk wrote:Greetings digital friends! sorry for the unusual delay in completing this build, but I had some other activities come up. I'm happy to say the narwhal is done! Thanks for your patience!

So, first of all I moved . . . a whole zip code away. Not very far, but it ate into my free time for the build for a while.

I also got engaged! And uh, I had to lie about what I was doing in the shop. I made my (now) fiancee think I was working on the guitar, but I was really working on a box for the engagement ring. It was fun seeing her get mildly aggravated thinking I was screwing around, when I was really up to serious business.

First, I designed the thing

Magnets installed. Hinges are silly

Test fit with the ring

And finally clear coated. It's Patagonian Rosewood for anyone curious. I did the deed down in Argentina, so thought it'd be appropriate

Okay--enough of that detour. Back to the guitar. So, because of my time constraints, I ended up just ordering a Warmoth neck. Truth be told, I shit the bed on my attempt to hand rasping and ate a little too much wood. And all that happened right before I needed to get on a plane to Argentina, so I didn't have time to deal with it. I still have a slab of pretty birdseye and cocobolo and i'm hoping to eventually make a neck for the guitar from scratch. But for now, I had some shows and recording dates I was eager to have the guitar complete for.

Historically I've had a lot of luck with Warmoth necks, but this one was a bit unsatisfying, so I had to do a lot of fretwork to the thing to get it in playable condition. There were a lot of high frets and in some places on the guitar I'd fret a note, and it'd go up a full step or step and a half. The neck required a full fret leveling, dressing, crowning, beveling, and polishing. Now it plays great.

https://youtu.be/zwUPw2waPCU
Here's a link to me testing it out on YouTube. Signal chain is just the guitar into a Fender Hot Rod DeVille (2x12), Shure Beta 57, Apogee Duet, Logic Pro.

Thanks for following along! Not sure what I'll build next. Maybe a St. Vincent style guitar? I'll post the neck build when I get to it here as well.

Absolutely stunning! Great job on the ring box as well- congratulations! ;)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:01 pm

That box is really nicely done. The Patagonian rosewood looks almost identical to the Macassar ebony wood trim on an old car I own.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 pm

That's amazing! I've loved the guitar from the beginning, but I'm a romantic at heart, and that box is awesome!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

markblack77
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by markblack77 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:41 am

that is very nice. well done Sir.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:25 am

Beautiful work on both!

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:30 am

Beautiful guitar. Outstanding ring box. Nice work. Thumbs-up to both.

bacongrease
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacongrease » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:57 am

impressive

would it have been out of the question to make two or three at once?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:05 am

I missed this update. Congratulations!! What a great touch! :)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.