MJT Jazzmaster build... Finished!!!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Benjirob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

MJT Jazzmaster build... Finished!!!

Post by Benjirob » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:25 am

Well for as long as I can remember, I have always gassed after a Blonde old school looking 60s Ash Jazzmaster.

Unfortunately these are a little out of my price range. After I traded my Custom Shop '62 Reissue Jazzmaster for a '68 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom I have missed that bright twang and offset look every day.

Well whilst pondering eBay which is a terrible thing, I stumbled across this MJT Ash Jazzmaster body in blonde...

And then a short while later this pick guard had joined it in the shopping cart...

I'm in the process of selling a Strat and might just sell the body and keep the Allparts neck if it fits

So before I knew where I was, I am now putting together my first ever Jazzmaster!!!

I've ordered some very exciting cavity shielding, now to decide what pickups... I'm thinking Mojo hot pickups as I'm in the UK.
Last edited by Benjirob on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Terrible love and I'm walking with spiders

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MJT Jazzmaster build... Begin!!!

Post by PixMix » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:25 am

Cool parts. Really like the grain on the body. Pickups, so many to choose from but if you're into a hotter sounding ones, our own timbo_93631 has a "Mezcla" set up for sale. Hand wound, really well made and very reasonably priced. These are really unique and inventive in construction and use of materials (mixed alnico mags and types of wire). Check out the sound clip.

https://reverb.com/shop/sunday-handwire ... nd-effects

Benjirob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Benjirob » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:07 am

Those are really cool pickups, love the mixed magnets, though I think I'm going to stick to something made in the UK to avoid extra shipping and import costs as I've already got a bit to pay on what I've bought so far.

I put a little mock up of how I hope it looks, looking forward to starting to throw this thing together

Hyphen Nation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hyphen Nation » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:11 am

Benjirob wrote:Those are really cool pickups, love the mixed magnets, though I think I'm going to stick to something made in the UK to avoid extra shipping and import costs as I've already got a bit to pay on what I've bought so far.

I put a little mock up of how I hope it looks, looking forward to starting to throw this thing together

What about pickups from the creamery? I think he's in Manchester.
Also, did you consider a gold guard on this? It could look amazing? I dig the tort, too. Just love the gold and blonde combo.

teensupertiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by teensupertiger » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:14 am

blonde jazzmaster :-* :?

TruckstopChuckie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TruckstopChuckie » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:20 am

Where's that tort from? This is going to be great. Can't go wrong with MJT.
I am.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:19 am

Nice looking body!
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Benjirob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Benjirob » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:36 am

I'm torn between Creamery Extra Width Jazzmaster pickups, and Mojo Hot Jazzmaster pickups. Sucks there aren't any real demos of them anywhere I can find. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I used to have a Custom Shop Jazzmaster which I think had '65 pickups, they were really good but maybe a tad too bight. The Creamery and Mojo pickups are much cheaper in the UK than the Fender 65 ones.

The pick guard is from Holly's Guitars. I'd never heard of them but found it on eBay. It's US made, the colour I want, supposedly celluloid, correct 4 ply, based on early 60s, a little relicing to go with the body. It's not even a third of the price of a Spitfire guard which would have been killer, but would have almost cost as much as the body!!! After shipping it won't be that much more expensive than a WD music one.

I would have gone for a gold guard if it wasn't for my old Sonic Blue Jazzmaster having one!

Natar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Natar » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:05 am

Benjirob wrote:I'm torn between Creamery Extra Width Jazzmaster pickups, and Mojo Hot Jazzmaster pickups. Sucks there aren't any real demos of them anywhere I can find. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I used to have a Custom Shop Jazzmaster which I think had '65 pickups, they were really good but maybe a tad too bight. The Creamery and Mojo pickups are much cheaper in the UK than the Fender 65 ones
The Creamery is fantastic. Never played the Extra Width pickups, but Jaimie does great work. The Fender 65s are too bright for my taste as well. I don't know how accessible Lollar pickups are in the UK, but they're great; fat and bright, but not ice pick in the ear like the 65s can be. Seymour Duncan Antiquity I's are also fantastic and to my ears sound very similar to a real vintage Jazzmaster pickup.

dugwolf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dugwolf » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:09 pm

Looks great! I've been eyeing the MJT jazzmaster bodies on eBay for a few weeks now. Just curious, it doesn't come predrilled does it? If not did you find drilling the holes to be fairly straightforward? And did the finish hold up okay?

Hyphen Nation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hyphen Nation » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:15 pm

dugwolf wrote:Looks great! I've been eyeing the MJT jazzmaster bodies on eBay for a few weeks now. Just curious, it doesn't come predrilled does it? If not did you find drilling the holes to be fairly straightforward? And did the finish hold up okay?
The only thing I had any fear around was centering the tremolo. Everything else is super easy as you just line up your pick guard. Most of the holes you are drilling are very small, as they are pick guar and pickup mounts.

The tremolo has larger holes, and really just requires that you measure a few times to ensure you are centered up. There's a few threads on here about how to deal with it. It's not that bad at all.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:41 pm

This is amazing!! It's not my project, but if it was, I'd try to match the headstock with a blonde as well :whistle:
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:37 pm

Benjirob wrote:Those are really cool pickups, love the mixed magnets, though I think I'm going to stick to something made in the UK to avoid extra shipping and import costs as I've already got a bit to pay on what I've bought so far.

Mok-up looks great! Keep us posted.

Benjirob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Benjirob » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:41 am

dugwolf wrote:Looks great! I've been eyeing the MJT jazzmaster bodies on eBay for a few weeks now. Just curious, it doesn't come predrilled does it? If not did you find drilling the holes to be fairly straightforward? And did the finish hold up okay?
It says the body has been prepared and predrilled for Fender Vintage parts (trem, pick guard etc.) but the thimbles may need to be enlarged depending on what bridge is used. I'd prefer not to have to enlarge anything but as it's already predrilled its should be straightforward, plus I have a friend who's a carpenter 8)

I'll let you know once the body arrives, it was despatched earlier today!

Hyphen Nation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hyphen Nation » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:24 am

Benjirob wrote:
It says the body has been prepared and predrilled for Fender Vintage parts (trem, pick guard etc.) but the thimbles may need to be enlarged depending on what bridge is used. I'd prefer not to have to enlarge anything but as it's already predrilled its should be straightforward, plus I have a friend who's a carpenter

I'll let you know once the body arrives, it was despatched earlier today!
Yeah, looking at the photos, it looks pre-drilled. I don't think that is typical of MJT, though. I don't think they come standard pre-drilled.