Thinline Jazzmaster Build (update: IT'S DONE!)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Thinline Jazzmaster Build (update: IT'S DONE!)

Post by rbrcbr » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Started a new thread as this is finally coming along. I've been torn about finishes, but I think I've settled on Ice Blue Metallic for now. Time to send it off to MJT. Wanting to do a matching headstock as well.

-Saylor thinline body, mahogany top, alder back and sides.
-Black Mastery M1 Kit.
-Allparts? B&B neck: 7.25 radius, Medium C?
-Fenderparts black 3 ply pickguard

I just got the neck off Reverb a couple weeks ago for $150. The seller, when asked, told me that it was a Warmoth neck. Lo and behold, no Warmoth logo.

The guy seemed legit as he was using it for his own parts guitar that he quit on. When I asked him about it after receiving the neck, I never got a reply. Sucks.
I figure it may be an Allparts B&B. He mentioned it was a nitro finish, which seems true. It also came with a decal, which is nice.

Do any of you guys have any clue what it could be? Are there any characteristics that would give it away?
Last edited by rbrcbr on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Footbutt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thinline Jazzmaster Build

Post by Footbutt » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:19 pm

if you don't mind me asking, what is MJT charging you for the body to be painted?
is that Saylor body pretty raw, as in, fresh from Saylor?
"There's nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster." -Dr. Evil

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:27 pm

Looks like you will have a pretty cool thinline jazzmaster. I have been eyeing those Saylor bodies on ebay, they look well made. Does that body look and feel good to you? Is the mahogany used for it fairly hard?

The neck you got looks really nice but it probably isn't Allparts or else it would have a logo like the one in the pic. But it doesn't matter as long as it is good, straight, with good fretwork, and functioning truss rod. I am looking forward to your build. Keep us posted.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:37 pm

+1 also it looks great

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Definitely not a Warmoth nor an ALLPARTS neck.

Hyphen Nation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hyphen Nation » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:49 pm

cmatthes wrote:Definitely not a Warmoth nor an ALLPARTS neck.
Yeah, I was thinking it was one of the asian made bound ones that made their way on Ebay in the last year or so. I thought they were poly finish, though. I think there were some threads on here about people taking the poly off and dialing them in a little more.

Natar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Natar » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:42 am

As others have said... That's probably not an Allparts neck, based on having nothing written on the heel.

Also, Allparts usually doesn't do block and binding necks. I actually have a block and binding Allparts JM neck on my Jazzmaster. I bought the neck second hand, my guess is it was a custom order or a limited run.

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:08 am

Footbutt wrote:if you don't mind me asking, what is MJT charging you for the body to be painted?
is that Saylor body pretty raw, as in, fresh from Saylor?
I actually have not spoken with MJT about it just yet, but last time I got a quote for it, it was $325 with the matching headstock. And yeah, the body is raw, I haven't done any sanding. Last time I spoke to them, they said they would do all the finish prep and to not worry about it.
PixMix wrote:Looks like you will have a pretty cool thinline jazzmaster. I have been eyeing those Saylor bodies on ebay, they look well made. Does that body look and feel good to you? Is the mahogany used for it fairly hard?

The neck you got looks really nice but it probably isn't Allparts or else it would have a logo like the one in the pic. But it doesn't matter as long as it is good, straight, with good fretwork, and functioning truss rod. I am looking forward to your build. Keep us posted.

Thanks! Ah, I see. I thought there would be a logo as well, but wasn't sure. Yeah, the mahogany doesn't seem that hard, but then again it's a semi hollow. When I tap it it just feels hollow, the body is definitely good quality and looks/feels good. I just checked the truss rod, it turns in both directions, but you can hear creaking when it turns. Is that normal? I've never bought and used an aftermarket neck, I figured the noise might be from it not being turned in a while. Gah, I hope I didn't get screwed over super bad on this. It looks like a nice neck though.
Hyphen Nation wrote:
cmatthes wrote:Definitely not a Warmoth nor an ALLPARTS neck.
Yeah, I was thinking it was one of the asian made bound ones that made their way on Ebay in the last year or so. I thought they were poly finish, though. I think there were some threads on here about people taking the poly off and dialing them in a little more.
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw it had no logo, but was hoping it was something else. I'll look into those threads and see what people had to say. The finish feels like a fresh, sticky nitro though, that's why I mentioned it. I also noticed it's not a perfect fit in the neck pocket, there's a slight gap that worries me. I know Saylor says he cuts these to fit an American standard Fender neck, so you may be right about the asian thing.

Natar wrote:As others have said... That's probably not an Allparts neck, based on having nothing written on the heel.

Also, Allparts usually doesn't do block and binding necks. I actually have a block and binding Allparts JM neck on my Jazzmaster. I bought the neck second hand, my guess is it was a custom order or a limited run.
I had looked for a while and could never find a B&B Allparts on their site, but I knew that they had made them previously in limited runs, so that was my reasoning behind it.

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:33 pm

I've been meaning to ask, does anyone have an opinion on whether or not this slight gap between the body and neck is bad? I don't want to route out the neck pocket corners to make it fit. I may just end up grabbing a musikraft b&b neck if this is something that is a big deal.

cathodebias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cathodebias » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Tuned in to this build- I may be building nearly the exact same guitar in the end, and I'm very curious what direction you end up going.

Re: the gap... does it seem stable? As there's solid transfer of mass/sound from each piece of wood- I'd think you should be ok. What's probably more important is will the gap bug you? Do you like the feel of the neck?

FWIW- I have a very similar sounding B&B no-name ebay neck. In the end, I'll be replacing it. It's not bad at all- it's great for the money, but I played a buddy's MK, and I can't get it out of my head.

Good luck and I'd love to see how it goes for you!

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:31 pm

cathodebias wrote:Tuned in to this build- I may be building nearly the exact same guitar in the end, and I'm very curious what direction you end up going.

Re: the gap... does it seem stable? As there's solid transfer of mass/sound from each piece of wood- I'd think you should be ok. What's probably more important is will the gap bug you? Do you like the feel of the neck?

FWIW- I have a very similar sounding B&B no-name ebay neck. In the end, I'll be replacing it. It's not bad at all- it's great for the money, but I played a buddy's MK, and I can't get it out of my head.

Good luck and I'd love to see how it goes for you!
Thanks for the input. I mean, the guitar isn't assembled at the neck joint with a plate and screws, and I haven't drilled holes for the trem yet or anything. I would imagine it would be pretty stable, it doesn't really bug me too much, but enough to consider just waiting for an MK neck. I've only heard good things about their stuff, and I'd like a matching headstock, so I want to make sure it's with a good neck.

Excited to see what you come up with as well. Unfortunately, I may have to sell the mastery kit for now, as it's getting no use and I need the money.

Good luck!

bacca51
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacca51 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:19 pm

Off to a great start with the parts.
As far as the neck pocket goes, from my research, the tail end of the neck should be pressed up against the top of the body to get that solid transfer of mass. One time I switched a neck from a GFS to a Fender and the sides of the neck were not touching the sides of the neck pocket. But, the contact from the top of the body to the bottom of the neck was solid. I felt like that was the most crucial part. But then again, I really don't know much about this stuff and how much it matters. Just my two cents.

Smorgy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Smorgy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:18 pm

that neck looks like one from jagnjazzmaster on ebay
out of Australia
he always listed his neck with vintage spec but he doesnt make them and doesnt know what they actually are
ziricote and maple i believe

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:44 pm

Update!

Sent the body off to MJT for a Lake Placid Blue finish, as I originally intended. I ordered a B&B neck from Musikraft, which has also been sent to MJT and is receiving a matching headstock. Hoping they'll be back to me by the New Year! Here are the neck specs:

ORIENTATION: Right for Right Handed Players
SCALE LENGTH: 25.5 Standard Fender
NUMBER OF FRETS: 21 Fret
NUT WIDTH: 1.650 (41.91mm)
HEEL WIDTH: 2-3/16 (55.56mm) Standard Fender
TUNER HOLE SIZE: 11/32 Vintage Kluson
TRUSS ROD TYPE: Single Acting Adjust at the Heel
FB RADIUS: 7-1/4
12TH DOT SPACING: Wide (Vintage Pre 64)
NUT SLOT STYLE: 1/8 Standard Fender Flat Bottom Style
SHAFT WOOD: Flame Maple Select 3A + $50
FB WOOD: Indian Rosewood Dark + $25
FB STYLE: Slab Standard Fender
TOP DOTS: None Use Custom Inlay Selected Below
CUSTOM INLAY: Pearloid Block + $90
SIDE DOTS: Black 2mm
SIDE DOT LOC: Centered on Finger Board Wood
FRET WIRE SIZE: 6105 Medium Nickel Silver
FB EDGES: Semi Rolled Standard
BACK PROFILE: Chunky C 90 99
BINDING: White Binding + $90
FINISH: Raw (No Warranty)
FB FINISH: Raw (I will apply my own)
MOUNTING HOLES: Do Not Drill Mounting Holes
NUT INSTALLATION: Do Not install a Nut

Has anyone played the MK Chunky C 90-99 profile? Kind of worried it may be too chunky. I just want it to be super comfortable and easy to play.
Some photos:

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thinline Jazzmaster Build (updated photos)

Post by rbrcbr » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:21 am

Here's an update! Body and neck finally came back from MJT, super stoked on how the color came out. This LPB makes my tele look like it's a bit greener, it's possible the finish has yellowed a bit over the past year though. It looks great in person.
Just need to order pickups from Curtis Novak, get the wiring parts, a bone nut, knobs, and tuners! Can't wait for it to be done.