racing stripes on a Jag?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
dgrunbe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

racing stripes on a Jag?

Post by dgrunbe » Fri May 10, 2024 7:45 am

Hello all,
I am going to do this no matter what, but wonder what you all have to say about this.

A little background, 68 yo. woodwind player (bari sax is main instrument), starting taking guitar lessons in
Dec. 2023, learning to mostly play surf music, bought a surf green CV70, bought a musikraft neck that just showed up, etc.

Have to figure out how to post a picture.

Long term plan is to put that neck on a GuitarForm JM-shaped thinline, but with jag controls and electronics, with one piece
brushed aluminum pickguard. I have everything I need now, except for the body. Sure hope he gets back to making bodies soon. His website seems to
be down now, at least I can't access it so dreams have to stay in my head for now.
Tuffmaster bridge shipped yesterday, thanks Deed_Poll. I really like the look of his Sgt. Brown guitar. Similar to what I would like.
Dream would be flamed maple top and mahogany or korina back.

Here is my question (as in subject):
What about the Mustang style competition racing stripes on a Jag? I've got the stripes (white) and they will go on the CV70 very, very soon.
What do you all think? Is it okay? haha

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: racing stripes on a Jag?

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri May 10, 2024 12:54 pm

Welcome dgrunbe!
Surf is a also one of my favorite genres and so much fun to play! Nice to have you around!

For the photos:
You need a hosting platform (imgur/imgbb,…) and then you need the pics BBCode that you can copy and paste…
Here is a thread about it: Inserting Photos

For the projects: sounds good! I heard a lot of great things about Musikraft necks (and I‘m also very much looking forward to my Tuffset!)

For the Thinline plan: please keep in mind that Jazzmasters and Jaguars have one key difference: scale lenght. The JM is 25,5“ (like Strats and Teles) while the Jaguar is a shortscale with 24“ (as is the Mustang) - so you‘ll need the correct body for your neck.

But Daniel (Deed_Poll/GuitarForm) could maybe also build you a shortscale Jazzmaster (or longscale Jaguar) and probably also cut you a custom guard with Jag controls (with JM or Jag pickups) for a Thinline body…

A friend recently bought a modded CV70s Jag that came modded with some nice parts - one being a „full“ Jazzmaster like guard for Jaguar.

Can‘t help you with the Competition stripes though - as I personally don‘t find them all too appearing - but I‘m neither into cars nor into competitive sports - so I might just „don‘t get the rave about it“.
But if you search for Fender Jaguar with competition stripes on google or elsewhere you will find some assumably fine examples.
It sure can be done and while they aren‘t that common I don‘t see why anyone should have a problem with it!

Your projects sound like a lot of fun! So please keep us posted with your progress!

dgrunbe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dgrunbe » Fri May 10, 2024 3:18 pm

Thanks, Fuzz.
Thanks for the advice. So far, I've only seen Mustang and Mustang basses with the competition stripes. I think they look boss!! haha

I've already been in touch with Daniel at Tuffset/Guitarform. He said that he can make me a jazzmaster shaped jaguar thinline with a one piece pickguard. So that is covered.

I will start a thread about my build once I really begin to get into it. For now, the new neck is going on the Squier. Can't wait for Tuffset/Guitarform to get back to making bodies.

Have a great day.

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Fri May 10, 2024 4:56 pm

Hmmm... a Jag masquerading as a competition Mustang? That could be cool... especially if you could get that vintage blue that you see on "old" Mustangs. Subscribed.

https://www.12fret.com/sold-archive/196 ... tion-blue/

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Fri May 10, 2024 10:14 pm

Ive sprayed racing stripes on just about every Fender body shape there is. My answer to the question of to stripe or not to stripe is almost always YES :)

They'll look best if you use 2 things as visual guides when placing/sizing them: The angle of the control "plate" section, and the angle of the forearm contour. There are times when following the forearm contour "line" looks great and other times it looks a little wonky, and following the angle of the control plate works better, such as on a mustang.. I typically use the "flow" of the body//pickguard/lower control plate section to guide my placement/angle of lines so they look best for the unique body shape.

If you're taping and spraying them yourself, nice quality tape will be your best friend!
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

dgrunbe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dgrunbe » Sat May 11, 2024 2:48 am

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Copacetic, those guitars are all amazing.
I will keep all of your comments in mind when I go to do this, and will post pics.
But, don't hold your breath. lol

dgrunbe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dgrunbe » Sun May 12, 2024 2:55 am

Pics of the Musikraft neck that will first go on a Squier CV70, later on my custom build. Will have to contact
copacetic for finishing the custom build, but that is still a ways off. Can't decide between 1968 Chrysler metallic surf green or a 50's LP-style honey burst if Guitar Form/Deed_Poll/Tuffset can do a flamed maple top on a thinline JM/JG style body.

The headstock is a modified version of an Ernie Ball Music Man (?) headstock that Musikraft offers. I asked them to smooth out the profile, and they did an awesome job. Kind of looks like a Flying V headstock at first glance, but you will notice that the tuner holes are offset on this headstock. This headstock is quite a bit smaller than the stock Fender one and the neck is pretty light compared to the stock Squier neck.

More neck specs:
(may be a bit controversial but I have short, fat fingers and this works for me)
nut width: 44.5mm
dual acting truss rod
14" fingerboard radius

Coney Island boardwalk reclaimed rosewood (ipe) fret board, riftsawn maple, brass side markers, brass nut, etc. I like brass, I play bari and sop sax. lol If I had to do it all over again, I might have gone for a mahogany ( almost did) or roasted maple (almost did) neck but decided to save a few bucks.

I figured that the Coney Island boardwalk wood fret board will be perfect for playing surf music here on Long Island, where Coney Island is located and where I've been a few times. I've even walked on that boardwalk, wonder if I ever walked on the board that my fretboard is made from? haha

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun May 12, 2024 5:43 am

i like when the stripe runs parallel to the strings and under the strap button but i think i've only seen that on non-offset teles and strats

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun May 12, 2024 6:29 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 5:43 am
i like when the stripe runs parallel to the strings and under the strap button but i think i've only seen that on non-offset teles and strats
You mean like the new MIJ series?

or more like this?

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun May 12, 2024 12:36 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 6:29 am
You mean like the new MIJ series?
yeeeeh dude that's the stuff (don't love those colours tho tbh! white stripes on darker shades is better)

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Sun May 12, 2024 11:20 pm

I feel that there should be less pickguards and bridge plates and whatnot in the way for centered racing stripes to make sense on a Fender design. Maybe if the guitar has body-mount pickups and looses the pickguard or something... Seeing the ones slightly offset towards the player, this is the first time I've seen something with stripes I think actually looks good.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

dgrunbe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dgrunbe » Wed May 15, 2024 7:42 am

How about this?
My project will either be Chrysler metallic surf green from 1968, or a transparent wood finish.

so, that got me thinking about Chrysler stripes, which are tail stripes. Maybe it would work well on a guitar
like a jag that has a humongous pickguard/control plate area? Also, I am going to do a thinline with an f-hole so much
less room for a stripe? What do you think? good, bad, indifferent? Doing too much?

this is what I am thinking about:

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Thu May 16, 2024 12:51 am

Could be good, but there's the risk of it looking like someone with their pants around their ankles

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Thu May 16, 2024 1:18 am

Comp stripe on a Jag? I'm always intrigued I don't see it more to be honest. Adds a bit of uniqueness and Mustangness to what I consider to be Fender's finest guitar, so it's a good look. Why not.
2003 CIJ Fender Jaguar, sunburst (SJAG-3n neck, SHR-1b bridge, 500K lead circuit pots/speed knobs, Mastery bridge, Buzz Stop, Squier JM JM vibrato plate, modified whammy bar)

2022 MIM Fender Meteora, cosmic jade (top mounted input jack added)

dgrunbe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dgrunbe » Thu May 16, 2024 7:37 am

Futuron wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 12:51 am
Could be good, but there's the risk of it looking like someone with their pants around their ankles
I'll mock it up before I do it just to make sure.