Anyone have firebird/mini-hums in their Jaguar?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone have firebird/mini-hums in their Jaguar?

Post by mbene085 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:20 pm

Larry,

Which type of jaguar? The way I installed mine in my JG-90 was with a standard Blacktop Jaguar pickguard cut for P90s, with P90 adapter rings.

The bridge cutout should work both for standard thimbles as well as your favourite, the TOM.

I did get a guy from the UK on eBay to cut me a new one with room for the upper control plate, he can do any permutation of jag routes and it cost about $40 shipped. I assume his online business is still open, I could send you the link if interested.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:50 pm

I guess that would make the most sense to just adapt a P90 pickguard. I always thought that Firebird pickups had different dimensions to mini-humbuckers, though?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mbene085 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:59 pm

The Gibson mini-humbucker that survives as a pickup option today has the same external case dimensions as a Firebird pickup. The difference is that the mini-HB typically has tabs that stick straight out for the height adjustment screw holes, and a traditional Firebird has bent tabs that reach down further into the body.

Are you planning to use a mini-HB or firebird pickup? Several pickup winders make FBs with mini-HB style tabs for easier swaps (all of mine were made that way).

These are the mini-HB tabs: Image

And these are the deep, traditional FB ones: Image

This doesnt affectthe pickguard requirements but does impact the routing you need underneath for clearance.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:03 pm

I would use a Firebird pickup if I go this route.

I have a '67 Jag I need to start working on, and figuring out what to do with the routes is a big part of it. But, the routes already accommodated full sized humbuckers, so they would work for Firebird pickups I imagine.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mbene085 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Yeah, those would fit FBs just fine. You can just get your FB pickups made with the straight instead of bent tabs. For a cleaner look you can just get a guard routed for FBs themselves, but since this is a modified vintage jag you might want to measure route locations and get a guard custom made (I've always used Pickguardian for this), to make sure they line up with the positioning of those particular routs.

Edit to add: if you want to measure your HB routs relative to the start of the neck pocket for the neck and from the centre of the thimbles for the bridge, I could check that against the P90 locations on my blacktop guard if you like.

Severed Hand
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Severed Hand » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Tim Presley from white fence has a that sorta configuration.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:16 am

Thank you gentlemen. It also occurs to me that I bought a Fralin hum cancelling P90 in the Alnico magnet configuration for some reason, and I don't really have a plan for where to use it. I kind of won it on eBay without really wanting to.

Maybe I'll get a Jaguar P90 pickup pickguard and thrown that in there for a while, maybe get another one.