No rest in January - Two guitars & a bass

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
greens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: No rest in January - Two guitars & a bass

Post by greens » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:13 pm

Looking good so far!

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:47 pm

big fan of what you're doing with pickguard - control plate here.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:30 pm

antisymmetric wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:31 pm
I love the way the lines work together on this- body shape, pickguard, control plate, everything. The centreline still visible on the body, plus what looks like some experimenting, sanding(?) on one side makes me think a 2-tone paint scheme based somewhere around the centreline could be a thing (maybe dark/light variations on the surf green?)..... Or I could be insane. ;D
This is going to be a very cool guitar. :-*
Definitely not insane, that's actually the plan with the other guitar (in a three-tone scheme!)
On this one, the sanding line in question is actually the forearm contour that got flattened in the picture because of the lack of light. It follow and extends the line created by the upper horn - I nicked the idea from the St Vincent guitar (I still can't get over how many good ideas Annie Clark put into that design, in a very understated way, kinda like her songs I guess :))

I think I'm going to try and keep things simple for this one and let the three-dimensional layout do its job, but I definitely plan on going crazy on the other guitar!

I decided to go with a Les Trem II instead of the JM trem unit on my friend's guitar. I'll keep the rocking bridge, though. I seem to remember a few people here used that combination with success? I got a piece of square aircraft aluminum stock to carve a bridge from, into which I'll hot/cold fit two posts with the JM bridge spacing. I like the resonance of a solid aluminum bridge, but I want to give him the option to swap it for something more standard if he wants to.

Also, looking at the color scheme, I'm thinking white or cream pickup covers & knobs would fit better overall...?

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:56 pm

"THEY THOUGHT IT WAS JUST AN IDLE THREAT"
"I hope you don't be thinking I'm just talking and I won't do a thaaaaaang'

I went and did it. Found a cheap Gotoh Floyd Rose unit. The third guitar will be the victim. Still a long way off, but I thought I'd share the shame with y'all. :whistle: :fp:

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:31 am

There's still a chance to redeem yourself and not offend OSG sensibilities quite as much- you could run a rocking bridge and use that Floyd as a tailpiece. ;D
Watching the corners turn corners