What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Amon 7.L » Thu May 16, 2019 1:46 am

Rgand wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:57 pm
There are lots of cool things happening these days.
Thumbs up, people.
I can't second this enough.
Great job guys. And I mean all of you.

@Shadow, I was already impressed by your work but you're still rising up the bar. Crap, adopt me, I'll be cranking guitar bodies in your workshop as if there were tomorrow :w00t:

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Thu May 16, 2019 6:10 am

Shadoweclipse13, you've sure been busy. That pliers rack is outstanding. Same with the forstner bit rack.

That video was interesting. The way the guy had all his blocks made to slide into a rack was quite nice.

Right now, my forstner and brad point drill bits are (mostly) in drilled blocks but they do eat space. As to router bits, they are all in several plastic boxes and drilled blocks, and those I've outgrown. I'll definitely have to re-think them. Pliers fill several tool box drawers. That is not a perfect situation, either.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:49 am

Amon 7.L wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:46 am
@Shadow, I was already impressed by your work but you're still rising up the bar. Crap, adopt me, I'll be cranking guitar bodies in your workshop as if there were tomorrow :w00t:
Thanks dude. I really do appreciate the kind words. It's been a rough few months, and sometimes it's hard to motivate myself to get out there and work. I'm not quite where I want to be skill-wise, but I feel like I'm getting better. I'm 32 and single: I don't know if anyone would let me adopt :D That said, if you're ever in the Milwaukee, WI, US area, you're welcome to stop by for a beer or tea, and to see the shop.
Rgand wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:10 am
Shadoweclipse13, you've sure been busy. That pliers rack is outstanding. Same with the forstner bit rack.

That video was interesting. The way the guy had all his blocks made to slide into a rack was quite nice.

Right now, my forstner and brad point drill bits are (mostly) in drilled blocks but they do eat space. As to router bits, they are all in several plastic boxes and drilled blocks, and those I've outgrown. I'll definitely have to re-think them. Pliers fill several tool box drawers. That is not a perfect situation, either.
Thanks man!! I'm quite dying to get all the drill bit/router bit racks. Unlike some of the other ones I've made lately, I actually use the drill bits quite a bit for woodworking especially. Those will get some mileage for sure.

Right? I love the way the racks slide into the little shelving unit. The bonus for me (maybe intentional for him), is that the shelving unit protects the bits a little too.

Expansion is nice, but I'm the same in that what I've had up until now hasn't been enough space. Or things are sitting in their original factory case (*cough* Dremel *cough*) which takes up a ridiculous amount of space. I'm trying to pare down all the useless crap, and just have slim/minimal storage that's easy to get to. The nice thing with the way I've been doing this separate racks that fit onto the French cleats is that I don't have to toss the WHOLE system if I outgrow something. I can just build a new tool-specific rack.

And speaking of!

I should be in bed right now, but I stayed up late to finish putting together the pliers rack. All the gluing was done (and cured nicely!), though a piece or two shifted a little bit. Nothing that's that big of a deal, but it will bug me a bit until I sand it a bit more. At the moment though, I just want my tools up, so I'll live with it for now. Here's what I got:

And my favorite shot... When I stepped back after hanging the pliers rack and placing all the tools in it, this beauty of a shot. The whole area looks SO cool :w00t: :?

This is how this feels.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:49 am
And my favorite shot... When I stepped back after hanging the pliers rack and placing all the tools in it, this beauty of a shot. The whole area looks SO cool :w00t: :?
That does look good. I really like that pliers rack. Nice choice to use the dowels through it. It would take all sizes. The largest could span both rows and dinky ones could fit in one slot with a couple spacer blocks. 8)

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Thu May 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:49 am
Amon 7.L wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:46 am
Thanks dude. I really do appreciate the kind words. It's been a rough few months, and sometimes it's hard to motivate myself to get out there and work. I'm not quite where I want to be skill-wise, but I feel like I'm getting better. I'm 32 and single: I don't know if anyone would let me adopt :D That said, if you're ever in the Milwaukee, WI, US area, you're welcome to stop by for a beer or tea, and to see the shop.
Rgand wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:10 am

Thanks man!! I'm quite dying to get all the drill bit/router bit racks. Unlike some of the other ones I've made lately, I actually use the drill bits quite a bit for woodworking especially. Those will get some mileage for sure.

Right? I love the way the racks slide into the little shelving unit. The bonus for me (maybe intentional for him), is that the shelving unit protects the bits a little too.

Expansion is nice, but I'm the same in that what I've had up until now hasn't been enough space. Or things are sitting in their original factory case (*cough* Dremel *cough*) which takes up a ridiculous amount of space. I'm trying to pare down all the useless crap, and just have slim/minimal storage that's easy to get to. The nice thing with the way I've been doing this separate racks that fit onto the French cleats is that I don't have to toss the WHOLE system if I outgrow something. I can just build a new tool-specific rack.

And speaking of!

I should be in bed right now, but I stayed up late to finish putting together the pliers rack. All the gluing was done (and cured nicely!), though a piece or two shifted a little bit. Nothing that's that big of a deal, but it will bug me a bit until I sand it a bit more. At the moment though, I just want my tools up, so I'll live with it for now. Here's what I got:

This is how this feels.
Uh! This stuff is the 'stuff from where dreams are woven', to quote Mr. Bowie.
Looks like the perfect antidote to...errrm...this:

(and that's the tidy side of the room!)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:30 pm

epizootics wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:36 pm
Uh! This stuff is the 'stuff from where dreams are woven', to quote Mr. Bowie.
Looks like the perfect antidote to...errrm...this:

(and that's the tidy side of the room!)
:D :D :D That's how my last few apartments and shops have looked ;D The difference here though is that you, Epizootics, are actually building guitars. Ok sure, I'm building some other stuff too, but not nearly as cool, or as much, as you are. Your time is spent building epic guitars, and mine is spent making my shop look prettier :D And thanks!
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Rgand wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 am
That does look good. I really like that pliers rack. Nice choice to use the dowels through it. It would take all sizes. The largest could span both rows and dinky ones could fit in one slot with a couple spacer blocks. 8)
It takes almost all sizes. I have 3 pairs of tin snips (straight, left, and right) that are JUST too wide for the slots. I need to make a single slot rack for my adjustable wrenches too. The nice thing though is that I've got room to grow, you know?

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:32 pm
It takes almost all sizes. I have 3 pairs of tin snips (straight, left, and right) that are JUST too wide for the slots. I need to make a single slot rack for my adjustable wrenches too. The nice thing though is that I've got room to grow, you know?
Those snips definitely are wide little jobbers. What about nose down and let the hand loops catch the rack?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:57 am

Rgand wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Those snips definitely are wide little jobbers. What about nose down and let the hand loops catch the rack?
That would work if not for the dowel. I may mount them that way, but I'll have to make a separate holder for them. Possibly right next to my adjustable wrenches.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sat May 18, 2019 5:21 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:57 am
Rgand wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
That would work if not for the dowel. I may mount them that way, but I'll have to make a separate holder for them. Possibly right next to my adjustable wrenches.
Or put a slight extension on one or both ends of the new pliers rack, depending on how many you have.

Perry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Perry » Sat May 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Something I've been working on for about a month. Inspired by the Reverse Firebird but with a little thrown in from other guitars--sort of. Top horn is from the Jazzmaster, bottom horn is from the Gibson Corvus, and the the bottom end is from the Fernandes Vertigo. Body wood is walnut, fretboard is rosewood with a 25 inch scale length and 24 frets. Bolt-on neck is maple. Two mini-humbuckers controlled by one volume, one tone, a three-way switch, and rocker switches that will alternate between humbucker and single coil modes. The center has a raised section (tribute to Firebird), and the lower half of the body will have a pickguard matching the shape of the body.

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Sat May 18, 2019 9:43 pm

^^Cool. The finish suits it well too IMO. :-*
Watching the corners turn corners

Perry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Perry » Sun May 19, 2019 4:06 am

antisymmetric wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:43 pm
^^Cool. The finish suits it well too IMO. :-*
Many thanks!

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sun May 19, 2019 9:03 am

Refreshingly different. I look forward to completed pics.

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Mon May 20, 2019 2:35 am

New pedalboard! Made from a well-used chopping board that belonged to my wife's grandmother. Now it'll be just as well-used in its third life.

I'm waiting for some wiring bits to arrive in the mail, and then I'm jam-packing it with six tiny pedals!