MJT User Club

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MJT User Club

Post by rbrcbr » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Footbutt wrote:here's my most recent build:

my thoughts, concerning MJT:
1. They do a great job with communication
2. The wait is a little longer, since they use Nitro
3. The relic jobs they do are superb
4. the "Closet Clean" tends to show a 'hurried up' finish
5. They work with custom orders very well (matched a cavity to a pickguard i provided)

#4 was based upon the above guitar. I am happy with it, but the buffing looked only partially completed, compared to other guitar finished i've had. Dull in some places and nice and smooth on others.
Looks great man! I was wondering, what exactly do you mean that the closet clean tends to show a "hurried up" finish? Is it poorly finished? Is it that you can tell it was finished over the course of a couple weeks vs spending a couple months finishing it? How would this differ with their relic jobs?

I've been communicating with one of their guys about sending off a neck and body to them for finishing but haven't had the money to yet. Just want to make sure I'm not gonna end up with something poorly done. I want a closet clean finish as I'm not a fan of guitars that are relic'd and i'd prefer to make all the marks on the guitar myself. Everyone here seems to love what they do though, that's what has me wondering.

Footbutt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Footbutt » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 pm

rbrcbr wrote:

5. They work with custom orders very well (matched a cavity to a pickguard i provided)

#4 was based upon the above guitar. I am happy with it, but the buffing looked only partially completed, compared to other guitar finished i've had. Dull in some places and nice and smooth on others.
Looks great man! I was wondering, what exactly do you mean that the closet clean tends to show a "hurried up" finish? Is it poorly finished? Is it that you can tell it was finished over the course of a couple weeks vs spending a couple months finishing it? How would this differ with their relic jobs?

I've been communicating with one of their guys about sending off a neck and body to them for finishing but haven't had the money to yet. Just want to make sure I'm not gonna end up with something poorly done. I want a closet clean finish as I'm not a fan of guitars that are relic'd and i'd prefer to make all the marks on the guitar myself. Everyone here seems to love what they do though, that's what has me wondering.
what i mean with "hurried up" is that i think they might have skipped the last bit of polishing or something. ? my glossy neck looks mirror-like while the body is a little hazy in areas, like the buffing job wasn't fully finished.
It could very well have been because i received two bodies from them in one package, the other a light-relic job, and they wanted to just get them both out the door.
"There's nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster." -Dr. Evil

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:47 pm

Footbutt wrote:
rbrcbr wrote:

what i mean with "hurried up" is that i think they might have skipped the last bit of polishing or something. ? my glossy neck looks mirror-like while the body is a little hazy in areas, like the buffing job wasn't fully finished.
It could very well have been because i received two bodies from them in one package, the other a light-relic job, and they wanted to just get them both out the door.
I see what you mean. I'm not particularly worried about that, hopefully it isn't an issue in the future. They seem to stay pretty busy, their turnaround is ridiculous for what they do. Can't wait to have mine finished.

jc808
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jc808 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:06 pm

smalltownsongs wrote:
Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:00 am
MJT Aged Vintage White over 3TSB, heavy relic. In person it seriously looked nuked. And I love it.

Can I ask where you found that pick guard?? Its fantastic. And with those knobs...Has a great classic stereo receiver vibe.

Howlin_Wolf!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Howlin_Wolf! » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:40 am

I have an MJT strat body to replace an old guitar of mine that was routed to death. IMO the heavy relic sunburst is one of the best out there. I have seen a few MJT build and the neck work is less convincing in my opinion compared to the likes of Clive Brown in the UK.

smalltownsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalltownsongs » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:25 pm

jc808 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:06 pm
Can I ask where you found that pick guard?? Its fantastic. And with those knobs...Has a great classic stereo receiver vibe.
It was actually put together this way when I'd gotten it from a friend. I know pickguard heaven does woodgrain and i'd bet Tony at Pickguardian could get it. He's excellent to work with. As for the knobs, I've seen similar ones on ebay. I just search aluminum 1/4 knob :D

Happy hunting!
Offsets into EL84s

jnewton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jnewton » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:03 pm

the white over sunburst looks AWESOME.

iodine74
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by iodine74 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:44 pm

and then i've got this Candy Plum body from them (the lower on the right) that I haven't started on yet and I'm actually heavily debating selling

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Ooooh! That is pretty. These are the MJT bodies I have currently.

Image20180808_150349 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20180623_185404 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20171031_173709 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20171004_194516 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:59 am

http://www.mediafire.com/view/vf21sc4jx ... r.PNG/file (sorry, I couldn't figure out how to embed this!)

My MJT Jazzmaster that I've had since 2011. It's become my number one and I love pretty much everything about it. The only reason I went down the MJT route was that I wanted a jazzmaster with a maple fingerboard, how times have changed!

It wasn't always that way, it's be a labour of love to get it playing and sounding how I would like. For a start, I had to shim the neck and make some truss rod adjustments. I installed a Fender USA tremolo and taped the bridge posts, so it no longer rocks. This means I can abuse the tremolo as much as I like and I have super stable tuning. I always wanted simple controls, so just a volume and three way switch.

I initially had Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups, but I couldn't cut through a band mix, so the bridge pickup has been swapped out for a Creamery Wide-Range humbucker which sounds amazing. It's a very "alive" sounding pickup and very articulate.

It is ageing nicely and the guitar is so resonant and light. I'm a big believer in the resonance of a guitar having a positive effect on tone and this guitar loves to vibrate when you play, from the over-sized head stock to the body.

I've played countless gigs and recorded albums with this guitar, it is easily my most inspiring and favourite instrument that I own.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com