Green Bastard is finally here... '58 Jazzy build (EPIC)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
white buffalo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Green Bastard is finally here... '58 Jazzy build (EPIC)

Post by white buffalo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Green guitars have always special held a special place in my heart, but I never actually got around to owning one- just not many options that appealed to me. I'd always loved the colour on about everything; Wurlitzer's, sweaters, Soviet cars, echo units, sofas, etc. Specifically an army drab/avocado green has always been a favourite. Gibson has released some expensive CS 345/355 guitars in this colour recently and while they look TERRIFIC, I went to try a couple and just found them to sound dead (plus the super slim neck was a huge minus).

Last year Norms had the 1958 prototype Jazzy for sale that we all covet and so I put two and two together: I needed to make an army/avocado green '58 style Jazzy for myself.

I've owned some great vintage Jazzmasters, most notable a great Olympic White '60 and a Lake Placid Blue '64/'65, but eventually sold them all off as the necks were always far too slim for me.
Aside from the colour spec, the main thing I wanted for this guitar was a FAT neck. Why aren't there more fat neck 'masters? Seriously.

I'd been putting off the project for several months, but eventually one night started ordering parts...

Here's what the Green Bastard boasts:

-flyweight (3lbs 1oz) swamp ash body from Guitar Mill finished locally by Alastair Miller (killer builder)
-fat U profile 9.5" radius Musikraft neck (.90" @ 1st, .99" @ 12th) finished in a semi-satin/semi-gloss vintage tint with vintage style Gotoh tuners (no extra drilling)
-Mastery bridge and tremolo (what a huge improvement)
-Pickup Wizard plain enamel formvar vintage style pickups (sound just like the best of my vintage ones)
-Rothstein copper shield + '58 wiring harness
-ToneGuard black anodized aluminum pickguard (super gorgeous in person)
-miscellaneous mixed brands for the rest (knobs, screws, neck plate, etc.)

I'm a super impatient guy so waiting for all the parts to arrive and for the paint to dry was a great agony. It was only made worse by the fact that I'd been without a Jazzy for so long and couldn't wait to get one back in my hands.

Well, it all came to a glorious end yesterday afternoon when I picked up the freshly assembled and setup Green Bastard from Alastair Millers shop (he did the assembly).

THIS THING IS INCREDIBLE, IT'S ALL I'VE EVER WANTED IN A JAZZMASTER!

The sound in the bridge and neck position is identical to that of the '64/'65 I had and the middle is just like I remember my '60 in that position; angelic.
The neck is divine and endlessly more comfortable for me to play than the toothpick 7.25" vintage necks. I couldn't be happier with how the neck turned out- I could even do with a fatter no taper one.
The mastery is fantastic and even after just a few hours logged on it I've noticed I can really dig in without any concern. The tremolo feels fantastic- I love how light and floaty it is; perfect for adding a slight shimmer/warble.

Wow, all in all I seriously couldn't be happier with how this turned out if I tried. I'd had a boutique guitar custom made for me last year, but was ultimately quite let down with it so was a bit apprehensive of going the parts/custom route again. Boy am I glad I did it though as it fits me perfectly.
I am already planning a couple other guitars that I want to start ASAP- another JM and a Tele.

I can objectively state that I'm happier with this guitar than I've been with any vintage or boutique purchase over the past few years. I've dropped some serious coin on several golden era Fender and Gibson guitars, but always sold them off quick as I never could get along with any of them at the end of the day and wasn't going to hang onto something just because it'd earn me praise among tan pant wearing 50-somethings who feel the need to fervently protect their investment in vintage. Vintage and boutique is not universally great- my experience has been the opposite.

Ladies and gents, without further ado, I present you the GREEN BASTARD:

Last edited by white buffalo on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

white buffalo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Green Bastard is finally here... '58 Jazzy build (EPIC)

Post by white buffalo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:42 pm

p.s. the final missing touch will be an amber switch tip, as seen on the '58 proto. i think it'll do a great job tying it all together.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:43 pm

"None more green!"
"The green is strong with this one!"

...etc
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Chiediazanna
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Chiediazanna » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:14 pm

-fat U profile 9.5" radius Musikraft neck (.90" @ 1st, .99" @ 12th) finished in a semi-satin/semi-gloss vintage tint with vintage style Gotoh tuners (no extra drilling)
Beautiful, clean! Pickguard must be intriguing live! Stratty headstock, am I seeing right?

white buffalo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by white buffalo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Chiediazanna wrote:
Beautiful, clean! Pickguard must be intriguing live! Stratty headstock, am I seeing right?
Yes, went for a small 50's Strat stock as I believe was on the '58 maple neck Jazzy proto. I just like that stock best from an aesthetic standpoint.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Beauty! I'm curious about the paint. What did you use?
This is an excellent rectangle

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:18 pm

Really like the look of that black anodized guard on that.

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 pm

I freakin' love it!

white buffalo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by white buffalo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:02 pm

mackerelmint wrote:Beauty! I'm curious about the paint. What did you use?
Alastair Miller (builder of 'Barncaster' guitars from Toronto) did the paint. I'd seen a Tele he did some years back with a the colour and instantly fell in love. He said on the Tele it was essentially a very heavily aged/yellowed Sonic Blue. I'm not sure if that was the starting point/process for this Jazzy, I will check with him and get back to you. It's a tough colour to photograph accurately, it really changes hue substantially depending on angle/lighting. It's a very thin nitro finish. I'd like to have at least one more guitar (a Tele blackguard or Gibson of some sort (335, SG, Firebird)) finished in this colour- it's really one of my favourites, though definitely not for everyone.

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kent » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 am

Fucking HAWT! :?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:02 am

holy fuck. i dig this so hard. as someone who loves his green offsets, this makes me question my 2.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

tonehungry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tonehungry » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:53 pm

this is beautiful, thanks for sharing!

sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sears » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:57 am

love it. That kind of green with a roasted maple neck would be yummy.
maskedsuperstar.bandcamp.com

mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcjt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:53 am

pretty nice!
a brazilian-boarded neck would be appropriate as well for 1958 and offer a different sound.
But definitely maple is more 'prototype' and a look backwards to all the pre-1958 Fenders.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:46 am

That really looks great! I generally am not excited by many greens but this one is outstanding. I would keep the black switch tip, though.