Tremolo makes popping sound

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Kiso
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Tremolo makes popping sound

Post by Kiso » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:22 am

Hey guys! I've been experiencing a popping sound when pulling up on the tremolo, which makes it go slightly out of tune. However when you dive down afterwards it seems to pop back into position and it goes back in tune (most of the time). I do believe I've read about this problem before and I wonder if anyone knows why this happens and if anyone knows how to fix this. I have a hunch that it might be because the spring catches on the thingy which it sits on, which isn't rounded on my RWJMs tremolo unlike on the american made tremolos. Could this be the reason? Does anyone know? Thanks in advance!

morganp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tremolo makes popping sound

Post by morganp » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:36 pm

It could also be the spring catching on the ground wire, if they run them to the tailpiece in this model (haven't looked under the trem plate on one of these before). Oh, also, I guess I've experienced the inner plate rubbing against the side of the body on one where the cavity was routed poorly.

Kiso
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kiso » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:36 am

If I'm remembering correctly the ground wire goes to the thimble on mine. And regarding the cavity theory I've actually already thought about that and chiseled the lower corners flat (assuming that's what you meant) but that didn't fix it unfortunately... Thanks for the reply though!

schroeder
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by schroeder » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:36 pm

I had that happen when I switched terms from MIJ to USA. It was the orientation of the string wrapped around the ball end. On the big E string if I remember. If you watch closely, you can see it catching. Not sure if it is due to new hardware not being worn in or the precision of the string through holes. Make sure to orient the wrap parallel to the fretboard. It's when it is perpendicular to the fretboard it gets caught up.