Taming hot pickups (Squier Jaguar HH)

For help with setups and other technical issues.
thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Taming hot pickups (Squier Jaguar HH)

Post by thenewromance » Tue May 03, 2016 10:31 am

Maybe the answer is quite obvious, but I haven't currently found one. So please, chime in if you have any ideas.

How do I tame high-output pickups so they don't distort or drive my effects to hard? Bonus points: how do I do this without changing the actual sound and character of the pickups, which I like?

I'm asking this with regard to my Squier Jaguar HH. It's got Duncan Designed humbuckers, modelled after the Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz models. They really have a lot of output. Straight into the amp, I'm fine. I've two tube amps, a Laney Cub 10 and an Orange Tiny Terror combo. The latter has some headroom to spare, especially when put to 15 watts, and the former has a "lo-gain" input that meshes nicely with the guitar for when I want it clean. However, with effects pedals it's an entirely different story. A Dist+ clone I have drops volume like crazy (seems to be related to the actual construction of the pedal), a Pedalmonsters Whale boost I have starts to distort even at low levels and my spring reverb gets a little too driven for my tastes - it starts to sound more metallic.

Using the guitar volume knobs isn't really a solution without mods, as things start to lose presence and treble really fast. I have a compressor, a Keeley clone, with a "Clipping" knob to turn down the input signal. I haven't tried it out (my amp broke down yesterday), but I'm not too fond of it as a) I wouldn't really need the compressor in my chain, only that one knob and b) the clone steals treble, at least to my ears. I've also lowered the pickups already, which didn't make much of a difference to the output level.

What are your ideas? There is an EHX "Signal Pad" attenuator pedal, but it apparently is designed to go into the amp FX loop, which my amps don't have. I'm also a little afraid these pedals basically work like turning down the guitar volume, which isn't what I need (on the other hand, this https://www.modkitsdiy.com/pedal/step_ladder sounds like it could be what I need). Changing pickups might be an idea, but I like the sound itself - just not the level. Also, that'd be a few bucks, if I wanted solid ones. Would changing the electronics or modding in treble bleed parts help? Or am I just stuck with a guitar that's designed to go straight into the amp, and best leave it at that? Any suggestions appreciated, especially if they're not too expensive.
Last edited by thenewromance on Tue May 03, 2016 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

cbrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Taming hot pickups (Squier Jaguar HH)

Post by cbrown » Tue May 03, 2016 11:04 am

Treble bleed on the volume control so you can turn it down without losing top end. With the right value components this should be all you need.

Have you tried the compressor? You should be able to set it so it's not actually compressing, just reducing the level. Worth a try.

tremolo3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tremolo3 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:20 pm

I remember of a passive box that simple changes the impedance of your output. Diagram must be on geofex or something.

Silver Hand
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Silver Hand » Tue May 03, 2016 3:43 pm

cbrown wrote:Have you tried the compressor? You should be able to set it so it's not actually compressing, just reducing the level. Worth a try.
This. Either that or an EQ pedal and just use the volume slider. You'll get the same exact sound at any volume you want.
Disclaimer: I'm the sole proprietor of 'Silver Hand Pickups'

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Wed May 04, 2016 11:04 am

Thanks a lot, guys! I guess I'll try the compressor out, then. Cheapest solution ;) An EQ pedal would be nice to have, still.