Jazzmaster pickup cover ?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
maxxx
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmaster pickup cover ?

Post by maxxx » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:03 pm

Does anyone have any tips on keeping the pick up covers glued down?
Mine are bowed and the pole pieces don't stick out. I was thinking of glueing them down with something. epoxy, hot glue, or maybe chewing gum?

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster pickup cover ?

Post by theworkoffire » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:13 pm

Sounds like you have too much foam underneath them - they don't need to be that tightly screwed down.

bunkre
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bunkre » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:59 am

theworkoffire wrote:Sounds like you have too much foam underneath them - they don't need to be that tightly screwed down.
Agreed. If there is (or was previously) enough torque on the screws to bow the cover that bad there's something that needs adjusting below the pickups. If the covers are permanently bowed that bad it's a real cheap replacement.

The idea of glueing them is scary because anything strong enough to hold the plastic from bowing would probably be a permanent "fix" to the pickup (in other words totally screwing up your pickup for life).

maxxx
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by maxxx » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:47 am

Thanks for the insight about the foam. They are vintage pups and covers. from what I can tell is dirt has built up around the pole pieces and possibly heat, that they bow.
Just thought there might be some history with someone solving the problem with a non- evasive technique. does't locktight release if I just use a few drops?