Advice on positioning new hard tail bridge

For help with setups and other technical issues.
rlw
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Advice on positioning new hard tail bridge

Post by rlw » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:59 am

Hi

Simple question but I can't find the definitive answer. I want to fit the Schaller 3D bridge to my Squier Jaguar HH -the one with the nasty Danelectro style bridge. I know that I will have to get a new pickguard made up as the standard one is too long. This will then depend on the the next bit..

.. what should the exact positioning of the bridge be in terms of the 24" scale? 24" inches to where? the front of the saddles, the middle, the back, somewhere else?

Thanks.
Save a cow - eat a vegetarian.

weatherking
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Advice on positioning new hard tail bridge

Post by weatherking » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:45 am

I'm not an expert, but because each saddle will be at varying lengths from the nut in order to intonate each string, it's *kind of* moot where you measure scale length at the bridge. To position your new bridge, my best guess would be to position the saddles at their midpoint between furthest forward and furthest back positions, and measure to 24" from where the string meets the saddle.

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Advice on positioning new hard tail bridge

Post by theworkoffire » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:44 am

The simplest way would be to just use your current intonation as a guide, and mount the new bridge so it gives you a little leeway either side for further adjustment.
Otherwise, use the Stewmac Fret Calculator.
The centre-point of adjustment for a 24" neck should be about 24 1/16". Last time I measured a Jag it was a hair over 160mm from the neck pocket.