Jazzmaster stand recommendation?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster stand recommendation?

Post by MechaBulletBill » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:47 am

rklem wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:51 am
But it has the same warning: "Not suitable for nitro!"?
from the manufacturer:
Is SFF (Special Formulated Foam) safe for Nitrocellulose lacquer finish?

HERCULES takes great pride in providing you with the highest quality and most trusted stands in the world. HERCULES had conducted numerous trials on our SFF foam and is pleased to conclude that the foam does NOT react with the large majority of popular instrument finishes on the market, including Nitrocellulose...
However, each instrument manufacturer has their own formulation of Nitrocellulose...
we recommend you refer to your instrument's owner’s manual for more information regarding the proper storage of your instrument.
I haven't had any issues with finishes (i have a couple of nitro guits and one that might be) but it's such a good stand that I'd modify it if i was really paranoid about it reacting. wrap some cotton around the contact points or something. but you'd then lose the grippiness, which is part of what keeps the guitar balanced/secure.

rklem
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rklem » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks for sharing. I saw this manufacturer's statement as well today. It's kind of "probably okay, but if not, don't blame us." In the two big online shops where I saw that stand listed one has this explicit "not suitable for nitro!" warning and the other not. It's confusing.

The Jazzmaster AO is my first "real guitar" and I love it, so yes, I guess I'm a bit paranoid and I don't have any experience with it. But as a few of you stated here that you are using the Hercules or the K&M stand I assume both are probably okay.

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:33 am

I have a few nitro lacquered guitars and have bought this https://www.thomann.de/gb/km_17515_guar ... luzent.htm this is of course rather big but it might help you in your search!

rklem
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rklem » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:09 am

Thanks, I bought a Hercules stand now, but after a bit of research on this topic I found that it's not considered entirely safe for nitro finishes. So I think I'll cover the parts that are holding the JM with black cotton.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:12 am

fwiw, some poly finishes are just as, if not more, reactive than a well cured nitro. there was a lovely 70s compstang on here a while back where the finish had turned goopy at some point due to contact with a stand or strap or something.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:19 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:12 am
fwiw, some poly finishes are just as, if not more, reactive than a well cured nitro.
This!!!

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:06 am

After I got my Jag I thought I would need to invest in a new stand designed for offsets, but it turned out not to be the case. My old stand rotates at the bottom brace, which self-adjusted to the offset shape. Makes me think you probably have a lot of shopping options. As for the stand material contacting the guitar surface finish, I don't have any expertise or experience to offer.