squire VM jaguar tremolo help

For help with setups and other technical issues.
pinkjag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

squire VM jaguar tremolo help

Post by pinkjag » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:48 pm

Once again heelo my offset friends. I recently unblocked my jaguar tremolo. I blocked it in the first place for the tuning issues. I have been listening to a lot of ventures as of late and yesterday spent 5+ hours really setting my jag up for the trmolo. Now I have t penny (my jag) intimated, neck is perfectly set and the nut is cut correctly for 11's. I have my bridge radius set at 7.25 as it should be. When I use it ever so slightly it goes sharp. I have messed with the tension of it and still nothing. The only thing I can think of is I have my bridge thimbles warped so they fit more snug. Can anyone help me out here with this problem? The squire does not have a lock button like my other jaguar, if it did I could set the zero and be done with it. I love my squire and do t really like modding guitars short of pups/ stang bridge You buy a guitar for what it is. I will say that I have a fender mustang bridge on the way as I do with all my jags. But I dig the squire for what it is. If pictures are needed I will upload them. I just want penny to sing like it's '62. Thank you.

daCod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: squire VM jaguar tremolo help

Post by daCod » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:55 pm

maybe a little graphite powder in the nut to help them strings move a bit when trem'n like it's 1962 ?
your paranoia must be weapons-grade.
“I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf.” ~ PT

pinkjag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by pinkjag » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:18 pm

When i change strings/ maintenance, i use a sharpened pencil to lube the nut. I don't think that's it. On the squires there is no way to zero the trem out like a regular jaguar. i was hoping to find a way around that without buying a fender tail.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Are the strings contacting the back of the bridge, or screws on the tremolo?

I have a Squier trem that goes horribly out of tune (half a step!) under use, and other guitars with Fender terms (US/MIJ) that don't have an issue. While some have no issue with the Squier unit... I'm leaning toward saying that the construction of the Squier is on occasion poorer, with respect to the pivot etc. Still have to mess around with mine a bit more before I can say for certain, but swapping of components between a few guitars seems to just tell me my guitar has a crap trem, so it may be likely that Squier QC is a bit off here :P
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

pinkjag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by pinkjag » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Installed the jazzmastet black top mustang bridge today. Set radius at 9.5. Intonation is complete. Very gapptmy with it. The tem arm is improved but still does not go back to perfect tune. I filed the inside of saddles for no burs and lived them for perfect slide. Now since there is no lock, is there a method or neasurment for spring tensioto get this beautiful girl singing just right?

bkrawetz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bkrawetz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:35 pm

You say it goes sharp when you use the trem. To clarify, does it go sharp only when push the trem flat. What happens when you pull the trem sharp? Do the strings come back flat?

If this is the case, then I don't think the tailpiece is the problem. Binding in the tail would likely have the opposite effect.

pinkjag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by pinkjag » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:47 pm

So for the past few days the trem has been hard blocked. With the trem spring all the way compressed I lubed the plates where they contact and the spring itself. Today I have decompressed it but kept it tight. The trem was clicking, which as it turns out was scraping the inside of the cavity. I widened the cavity just a tad. The clicking is gone and the trem lubed and spring broken in, with the mustang bridge has added some stability. My break angle is very sharp so in theory, the trem should be perfect. It may just be a crap tail and I will have to buy an American Tail for it. If anyone else reads this and has an idea I would be very grateful. Have a blessed day.

pinkjag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by pinkjag » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:52 pm

http://imgur.com/a/ltOSS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pictures of Bridge, Break angle, Tremolo, and guitar itself.

BatDog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BatDog » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:26 am

You know the vm fretboard radius is 9.5 right..?
Checked yer pics and seems like your bridge is tilt back towards the trem...it should be centered thus "floating"...the bridge is supposed to rock back and forth with trem use...