Johnny Marr Jaguar with high gain/fuzz

For help with setups and other technical issues.
New_Day_Rising
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Johnny Marr Jaguar with high gain/fuzz

Post by New_Day_Rising » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:18 pm

I was just now playing my JM Jaguar through my Fender Blues Jr and noticed that when I set the amp to a high gain setting I get a horribly weak sputtery tone and a lot of hum. The volume almost sounds like a tremolo is being used. It is the worst in position 4 (series) with the dedicated bright switch in the right position. Positions 1, 2 & 3 with the universal bright switch in the up position are giving me the same problem just not nearly as bad. It also gets worse when I'm not touching the strings, which makes me think it might be a bad ground connection in the wiring.
All the other settings sound fine.
As long as I'm not playing with really high gain everything sounds great. I tested it out with another amp and a big muff and got the same results so I know it's gotta be the guitar that's causing it. What's weird is I have had this guitar for over a year and never had any issues whatsoever until just now.
Is this a common problem with this guitar?

audiopablo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Jaguar with high gain/fuzz

Post by audiopablo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:14 pm

I had this issue on my first one. Took it back. Freaked out because I thought it was back in this one, but I changed rooms and got away from some lights that had dimmers on them. I do notice that these pickups seem more susceptible to noise than other single coils.

theslack5
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theslack5 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:39 pm

I have found my Marr jag struggles with anything approaching high gain too. I've owned it for just over a year and as much as I've come to love the cleans and slightly broken up tones I've had to admit that it just isn't that well suited to full blown rocking out. You often read in interviews with Johnny Marr about the restrictions he placed on himself when getting the smiths together ( no solos, no blues, not much distortion ) and think that the sig jag makes these thing impossible. I think the Marr jag excels at playing Johnny Marr type material but is not a Swiss Army knife of a guitar and for that reason I have yet to trust it in a live situation.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:27 am

Jag has been used on quite a few high gain records though, the pickups are basically strat pickups. Sounds more like either dialing in the 'wrong setting' or maybe something is broken. I'm not sure where the bright switch is 'on', if up is 'on' then maybe its just an effect of the highpass filter which in my experience does weird things to impedance. (This is from a jazzmaster with a regular jag strangle installed).
But from there maybe take off some treble, i find that to be in strat territory on a guitar with 1megs its just turning down the tone to half, or taking the volume down a notch (i.e. between 8-9). Of course with the highpass filters off.
Still, could be grounding, i can't really get my head around the sound its making.