Rose-Colored Goggles (Mustang, Buff Beauty Content)

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Rose-Colored Goggles (Mustang, Buff Beauty Content)

Post by Danley » Fri May 22, 2015 8:04 pm

Are installed. Background is I never liked my 66 parts Mustang vs. my Jaguar (or Jazzmaster or Strat or whatever was at hand); dull, quiet, thwacky (even for a Mustang) with Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II singles. Figured these would be an assist.

I'm still messing around with playing them in different scenarios, amps, adjustments etc. So far I'll just say that they're good quality, and Ken was a pleasure to deal with, got them to me quickly and as I spec'ed them. I'll give more detailed feedback in a bit, once I'm more familiar with them. Till then, discuss (or not). How do we feel about this?
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Rose-Colored Goggles (Mustang, Buff Beauty Content)

Post by Danley » Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 am

Mis-judged the amount of discussion inherent in this, but will follow-up; Ken deserves props for the work he does... Never have I experienced better service in ordering a product. Emails were responded to in *seconds*. $25 bucks per custom pickup is un-refusable. Two weeks from order to door. New Mustang covers were even included (though I retain my NOS set :) ) As far as the pickups themselves, a few impressions and background:

Guitar had APS-1 pickups (~6KDC ohms, A2 mags). Weak/mushy/dull in an extraordinary way for single coils. The low input never manifested as clarity; it sounded best driven, still a one-dimensional sound next to my other guitars. Staggered poles produced a pickup height issue, the stock covers prevented them from being raised to ideal height. Impetus to order was a feeling that extra gain could make up the difference and forgive a few sins... I also was curious as to whether A5 magnets wouldn't produce a more "accurate" single coil sound than the A2s. Ordered (if its blurry to see below) ~11K bridge/~9K DC ohms.

The webstore copy stressed clarity in these pickups; I still expected to trade output for hairiness, but that has somehow not been the case at all, and the focus on clarity is not un-founded. My Mustang now jangles Piling gain on, adds to the harmonic content of the sound rather than simply producing a ripping distortion tone as I sort of expected would be the byproduct, based on my experiences with other higher resistance pickups. Of note is the tight, rounded bass sound; have seldom heard a guitar produce such a solid bass note sound as this. Overall sound is very well balanced; definitely still a "vintage" single coil vibe despite the output. Arrived RWRP (as proper) and wax-potted, no microphonics whatsoever.

...My only (small) issue is that there would be a greater ease to the installation process, if the leads were directed through the bottom of the pickup, rather than coming out on top; meant it was a bit difficult to thread the wires where they wouldn't be interfered with by screws.

It's hard to resist ordering another set; then again, I've replaced pickups on a whim in guitars before and come out disappointed, and I don't have any issue with the pickups in my other guitars. This might have been the only time I've sought to correct a specific set of issues through pickups, and I believe it to be a success. That said... The guitar overall still sounds like a Mustang, and while the pickup change hasn't made me like Mustangs say more than Jaguars or Jazzmasters, I now am at least inspired to play it for its new strengths, and can appreciate the guitar Sounds more like a Mustang *should*, no longer disappointing to pick up.

King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!