Jazzmaster Feedback in Middle Position (Only)...

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jazzmaster Feedback in Middle Position (Only)...

Post by Danley » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:38 pm

Got a chance to open up my Orange for the first time to day :D

All went well, but happened to notice something mysterious on my Jazzmaster which I'd never experienced before... Either pickup on its own was fine, but in the middle/combined setting the amp would emit a constant, microphonic squeal/hum that would only resolve by turning the volume back.

Pickups are Seymour Duncan Jazzmaster Hot, RWRP for hum canceling in mid position. Anything that could cause this? I'd intuitively think that the middle position would have less overall noise and feedback than either pickup on its own, but...
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster Feedback in Middle Position (Only)...

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:45 pm

Yeah, that should be the more quiet position. The first thing that occurs to me is, are you sure they were installed the correct way, so that they really are reverse wound in there?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:10 pm

Larry Mal wrote:Yeah, that should be the more quiet position. The first thing that occurs to me is, are you sure they were installed the correct way, so that they really are reverse wound in there?
They do cancel hum in the middle position at least, and are quieter at lower amp settings... Should that tell me that they are correctly installed, or is there still potential for mis-installation?
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

JsnSmith
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JsnSmith » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi. I'm having the same issue. Did you find out what the problem was? Thx!