Audio vs Linear pot for volume

For help with setups and other technical issues.
novamax
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Audio vs Linear pot for volume

Post by novamax » Sun May 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Zeus wrote: This (kind of) goes over my head, but I wonder if that might help.
It's quite simple: Signal is on the sweeper. And either you have only the out connector on one pot side / outer leg (so it goes through the pot like through a variable resistor). Or you have additionally ground on the third pot side (effectively splitting the signal between out and ground). In the first case, the signal has only the choice to go to out. In the second case, the signal is partially drawn to ground the more you turn down the pot, so the signal has less reason to go to out. This effectively increases the effect of turning down the pot. Which is typical for a Jag wiring (vs. JM wiring, and AFAIK, also strats and Teles ).

Sintakta
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Sintakta » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:40 am

I think it's not only a matter of linear or log pot. Different brends make different pots.
Alpha seem to be quite on off, I find CTS pits a bit too stif stiff, I usually go for Bourns audio pots (log). Bourns log are the best I tried for sweeping but if you are one 9f those guys who prefer stiff knobs, they are not for you. Anyway, different brends will act differently.

Lame Pseudonym
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lame Pseudonym » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:33 pm

Listen to your Uncle Al:

If you're putting a volume pot in a radio or TV, you use an audio taper pot, because that pot is going to live in the lower settings, and turning it up logarithmically sounds right.

But a guitar pot lives on the high side of the rotation, and a linear pot acts the way you want it to act when you finish your amazing solo and turn down to go back to accompaniment.

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:11 am

Sintakta wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:40 am
I usually go for Bourns audio pots (log). Bourns log are the best I tried for sweeping but if you are one 9f those guys who prefer stiff knobs, they are not for you. Anyway, different brends will act differently.
Just upgraded a danelectro with these https://uk.farnell.com/bourns/pdb241-gt ... price=true
They are now going to be my go to pot Brand/type.
Sweep is best of any I have tried, "apart from SDs" which I believe are also Bourns.
My experience with Alpha is also that they are rather on/off.
Another bonus with these is that they take solder better than CTS.