Tune-O-Matics...again!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Guitarded
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Tune-O-Matics...again!

Post by Guitarded » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:00 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before, did a search, but really couldn't find much.  I'm thinking of trying a Gibson style Tune-o-matic bridge on my JM however, there are a few different styles....the standard with the narrow thread pieces and the modern version with the wider studs and bushings. Which is the easiest/best fit for a JM?  Thanks!

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: Tune-O-Matics...again!

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:54 am

i can´t say any one version is better suited for a jazzmaster. here´s what you need to think about:
if you use the nashville version (with the narrow posts) you will have to fill/dowel the existing holes and drill new ones. to reverse this mod, just open up the original holes again and put the thimbles back.
if you use the modern version (with the thick posts) you will have to enlarge the existing holes. to reverse this mod, you need to fill/dowel the enlarged holes and drill new holes for the thimbles. you will be left with some bare wood/filling surrounding the thimbles.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:45 am

Don't expect your tremelo to work properly if you do this.
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:30 am

i´ve never had any problems with mine. super smooth.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:20 am

this is the best TOM for JM/JG...

I've one fo this in mine, it's made in china I've  paid it 15$ BIN on ebay and it's ultra easy to install..just put some electrical tape on the posts to fix it in the larger holes of your guitar.
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:52 am

isn't the bridge supposed to be fixed into the body for better sustain and stability?  I would think taping around the posts would still allow enough wiggle room to kill the whole point using a T-O-M

or am I missing something?  ???

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:38 am

daydreamdelay wrote: isn't the bridge supposed to be fixed into the body for better sustain and stability?  I would think taping around the posts would still allow enough wiggle room to kill the whole point using a T-O-M

or am I missing something?  ???
+1

???

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:36 pm

mynameisjonas wrote:
daydreamdelay wrote: isn't the bridge supposed to be fixed into the body for better sustain and stability?  I would think taping around the posts would still allow enough wiggle room to kill the whole point using a T-O-M.....or am I missing something?  ???
+1
???
A T-O-M is by design less prone to saddle buzz than the standard bridge, so maybe that's why it might improve performance even when not fully supported in the body? I'm guessing here but that might be a reason.