Staytrem and Bigsby B50 on a -76 Musicmaster

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Staytrem and Bigsby B50 on a -76 Musicmaster

Post by Trout » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:49 am

Any ideas if this is possible? Staytrem says none of their bridges would be suitable for a musicmaster..

Got a new mail from John at Staytrem. It seems the Bigsby causes its own problems with this type of bridge. Because of the very steep break angle created by the Bigsby the strings will rest on the upstanding part of the bridge channel behind the saddles and this is not desirable. The other problem, again caused by the steep break angle, is that the bridge will tip forwards and will not 'rock' with the tremolo action as it should.

So it´s a no no
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Staytrem and Bigsby B50 on a -76 Musicmaster

Post by mizbiz » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:22 am

Trout wrote:Any ideas if this is possible? Staytrem says none of their bridges would be suitable for a musicmaster..

Got a new mail from John at Staytrem. It seems the Bigsby causes its own problems with this type of bridge. Because of the very steep break angle created by the Bigsby the strings will rest on the upstanding part of the bridge channel behind the saddles and this is not desirable. The other problem, again caused by the steep break angle, is that the bridge will tip forwards and will not 'rock' with the tremolo action as it should.

So it´s a no no
I assume that you'd be placing a Mustang/Jazzmaster/Jaguar style floating bridge in, but Staytrem replacement... is that correct? If so, it should work. It would be the same as having a Bigsby on any of those models, but probably most like having one on a mustangs since the bodies are similar... and certainly people have done that mod before:

Heck, there are even pics out there with Musicmasters with Bigsbys, given that these individuals have switched the bridges to TOM or Rickenbacker bridges:

Given that the B5 is placed far enough back, I can't imagine why the break angle would create any complications.

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:48 am

Omg that mustang looks like crap :wtf: I think I will go with a TOM bridge.

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mizbiz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:43 am

Trout wrote:Omg that mustang looks like crap I think I will go with a TOM bridge.
LOL! :D Yeah, it does look pretty stupid. Not sure why someone would try that, but hey... to each their own.

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:06 am

Right now I'm leaning towards a TOM-style with roller saddles or a Mustang/Jaguar style bridge. A Mastery M1-kit would work fine too, but seems like a lot of money. I have a Mustang/jag style on a tele with B50 and am happy with that.