Quick Pickup install question - Foam? Alternatives?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
fresh1megpots
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Quick Pickup install question - Foam? Alternatives?

Post by fresh1megpots » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:43 am

Hey Guys - super simple question here. Not sure why I am struggling with this one.

I have a few jazzmasters and sets of pickups and i would like to swap the pickups to try in different guitars. I understand the soldering parts - i am only questioning height and how i get there. Pretty simple.

Can someone give me the rundown on the 'proper' way this should be done on a jazzmaster? My understanding is that you would want enough foam in the body cavity to push the pickups a bit higher than they need to go, so that the pickup height screws are essentially pushing the pickup down - similar to the springs around the screw on a strat pickup. Am I wrong in thinking this?

So.... How high up should the foam raise the pickup before the screws push it down? Does the material need to be foam or can it be any (non-metal) riser? If it needs to be foam, is there a 'correct' type to use?

Maybe the answer is that its a user preference, and as long as the pickup hieght is correct for the guitar's setup, than it is ok...But any guidance would be appreciated.

Mickster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Quick Pickup install question - Foam? Alternatives?

Post by Mickster » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Just use weather strip type foam. needs to be about 1.5inches thick. Stick it in the pickup cavity / brass pickup plate & then as u say screw the pickup down. The pickups are pushed up against the screws by the foam.

fender sell the foam in small packs for 10x the price if that's easier eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Fender- ... B00DPLML4O" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mickster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mickster » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:14 pm

Meant to add that other options are springs over the pickup screws (can rattle), or polyurethane type tubing over the screws. I've only ever used foam :)

fresh1megpots
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fresh1megpots » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks Man. Worked like a charm. Weather foam from local hardware store was perfect.