Putting a locking trem on a BTJM

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Harbor_mcfly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Putting a locking trem on a BTJM

Post by Harbor_mcfly » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:18 pm

So I'm planning on putting together a partsmaster Jazzmaster in the near future and I found a MIj tremolo plate for cheap. I went ahead and bought it for this future build And I figured in the mean time I would put it on my Blacktop Jazzmaster to see how it played. At first I couldn't figure out why the trem felt rough and wouldn't return back to its original position after using it. I figured out that the lock button won't slide all the way forward because the route is too small. Without it moved all the way forward, the lock rubs against the trem.

I guess my question is, is this a common problem when putting locking trems on guitars that come stock with a non locking trem? I was planning on finding a Squier VMJM to to use for my build. If I put the trem in VMJM will I have to do some extra routing to fit the lock?

fresh1megpots
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Putting a locking trem on a BTJM

Post by fresh1megpots » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:27 pm

This is a good question - I would also like to understand more about this.

I have considered putting a locking trem on my JM JM recently and have wondered in the past why i don't see this done more often as an upgrade. Ive noticed that some companies like mastery don't have locks on their trem at all - which is still supposed to be an upgrade?

Im sure it will be guitar by guitar - maybe for your purposes, being that you have the term already you could try to get a good idea based on some picture of VMJM bodies on the internet..

fresh1megpots
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fresh1megpots » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:05 am

Bump

Anyone have any insight to whether or not there are issues dropping in the locking trems to bodies that do not come with them?

sleepkid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sleepkid » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:00 am

For Jazzmaster style tremolos, it is critical to get the front of the route the right size. When pushing down on the tremolo, the elliptical motion of the arm plate actually carries it forward a little bit from it's resting position, and it can catch on the wall of the cavity.

Sometimes it just requires a little extra routing at the front wall of the cavity to allow the arm plate to swing forward.

Occasionally you'll find that the tailpiece was removed at one point, and when put back, there was just enough wiggle room that it was screwed forward further from it's original position, and then it starts grinding on the wood.

I've also come across a few Japanese bizarre guitars which used Jazzmaster style tremolos, where the route wasn't even big enough - from the factory!

If you are planning to put a Jazzmaster style tremolo into a guitar that doesn't have one, simply make sure you make the cavity big enough, both in terms of horizontal size, and in terms of depth. If you are working with a guitar with a shallow body, you can saw off part of the spring so that not as much depth is required. I once adapted a Jazzmaster arm for a Liberty (Norma) guitar which had no tailpiece. Worked out fine.

fresh1megpots
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fresh1megpots » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Interesting - i wouldn't have thought about running into depth issues but that makes sense.

sleepkid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sleepkid » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:46 pm

fresh1megpots wrote:Interesting - i wouldn't have thought about running into depth issues but that makes sense.
You can totally run into depth issues. Some guitars are thinner than others, and if you just followed the standard Fender route specs without checking first, you could theoretically blow through the back of some guitars. The Liberty/Norma that I did was such a case, so I made the pocket shallower, and then compensated the spring and bolt accordingly. Worked out fine, and still functioned like it should.