can you hurt an electric XII by playing it as a 6 ?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

can you hurt an electric XII by playing it as a 6 ?

Post by preservation » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:21 pm

i suspect it doesn't harm the guitar at all (in this case a Fender XII strat).
i might buy one but just-in-case i get bored of the 12string config i wanted the option
to set it up as a 6.
i know some guitarists use their 12's as 6's but wondered if they could encounter problems later on.

also, what if i wanted the bottom EAD to have their complementary strings but leave the top EBG or vice versa ?
any issue there if the tension isn't symmetrical ?

SansRegret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: can you hurt an electric XII by playing it as a 6 ?

Post by SansRegret » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Not much direct experience. But I don't think it would hurt it. If the neck can handle 12 strings of tension it can take 6 or 9. Would need a new nut for the six arrangement if you want normal spacing; and probably some truss rod adjustment.

Also, 9 strings are a lot of fun; I built a 9 string with the 3 bass strings paired with octaves out of a wooden winebox.
Thom

"Who poured that pint, Ray Charles?"

saxjag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by saxjag » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:02 pm

SansRegret wrote:Not much direct experience. But I don't think it would hurt it. If the neck can handle 12 strings of tension it can take 6
You sure about that? Most likely, the neck will go SPRROINNGGGG!!! and backbow like crazy. You ever heard of a "C" neck? Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

hansbrinker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hansbrinker » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:27 pm

THIS is what you need... too bad it costs $$$$$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp4hXRyyzhs

SansRegret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SansRegret » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:54 pm

saxjag wrote:
SansRegret wrote:Not much direct experience. But I don't think it would hurt it. If the neck can handle 12 strings of tension it can take 6
You sure about that? Most likely, the neck will go SPRROINNGGGG!!! and backbow like crazy. You ever heard of a "C" neck? Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.
From my understanding, the neck should only go "SPRROINNGGGG!!! and backbow" if the truss rod is still set-up for the extra tension of 12 strings. If its properly adjusted and set-up for six it should be fine.
Thom

"Who poured that pint, Ray Charles?"

apreswho
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by apreswho » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:38 pm

SansRegret wrote:
saxjag wrote:
From my understanding, the neck should only go "SPRROINNGGGG!!! and backbow" if the truss rod is still set-up for the extra tension of 12 strings. If its properly adjusted and set-up for six it should be fine.

I agree with this. I'd think you'll need some truss rod adjustment because, as already mentioned, there will be less tension from the fewer strings, but given that theres still appropriate tension distributed over the width of the neck (IE you're using a set of normal strings, rather than, say, just a .24 or something for all 6 strings ;D ) you dont risk twisting it up or harming it any more than you would any other guitar neck