Pickup heights on Firebird?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pickup heights on Firebird?

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:35 am

Hey all, I fairly recently replaced the pickups on my Firebird V with some Zhangbuckers, and I didn't really pay any attention to where the previous pickups were in relation to the strings. So if anyone would be so kind as to give me the heights that theirs is set at that would be helpful, obviously I'll be changing the heights as I go but a quick starting reference would be helpful. I usually look up whatever Fender factory specs are and tweak from there but I don't see anything for this kind of pickup anywhere, so any starting point would be helpful. Thanks!

Here's a photograph of something so this thread isn't even more boring than it is:

Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Ex Lion Tamer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickup heights on Firebird?

Post by Ex Lion Tamer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:42 am

Larry, when don't you should jiggle with it, trial and error, until you find a sound you like? I mean, in my humble opinion, there's no correct height. One just places it where one wants it.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:57 am

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing. Problem is, the wife is home sick and laying in bed with the kid, so firing up the amplifier and tweaking isn't an option. I guess it can wait. I just thought I'd slap it to whatever factory specs are- but there doesn't seem to be any- and then maybe do some recording. I can just wing it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by _nash » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:05 am

Ever tried Curtis Novak's method?
How to determine optimum pickup height
Each pickup and each guitar is unique and I do not feel there is a one- size-fits-all for determining pickup height. The best method I have found is to get yourself a small cheap amp that overdrives easy—the Smokey Amps are best.

Lay your guitar down on a flat surface, Plug in your guitar, select a single pickup, and fret your low E at the 12th fret and play the note. Just like with an out of tune string, you will hear an oscillation/wave rather than a clear solid note note. Now adjust the Low E side of the pickup up or down until that oscillation stops. At that point adjust the high E side of the pickup to match.

This will give you a clearer note without the oscillation so your notes and especially chords will ring clear. #006

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:20 am

That's very interesting! I can try that.