Tune O Matic bridge for VM Jazzmaster

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Lettusdude
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tune O Matic bridge for VM Jazzmaster

Post by Lettusdude » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:32 pm

I'm wanting a CAR Jazzmaster lately, and the VM line looks great for the price. I've got a J Mascis Jazz master already and love it. My only issue is I prefer tuno-o-matic bridges. Is there any bridges available that I can just drop in without having to drill the body? I'm kinda lazy. I'd prefer the radius and such to match the neck.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

kidmo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Tune O Matic bridge for VM Jazzmaster

Post by kidmo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:38 am

GFS has some pretty good roller saddle TOMs, may need to check the post measurement. TOM bridges are around 12" radius while JM frets are 9.5

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tune O Matic bridge for VM Jazzmaster

Post by gutter rock » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:06 pm

If you use the trem at all I would highly recommend the roller bridge TOM from GFS as well. Something about the strings on those sharp TOM saddles doesn't sit right with me when using a trem. It came with thimbles for it. On a VM I had to remove the stock thimbles and slightly enlarge the holes in the body for the GFS roller bridge thimbles and it worked out perfectly. You would have to do this with any TOM btw. I did get lucky on a jazzmaster once and was able to just sit the roller bridge in the stock thimbles and it came out with action exactly how I like it, which is great because doing it that way does not allow you to raise or lower the bridge. If you go that route and the action is too high, you could shim the neck to solve the problem. The VM's often benefit from shimming the neck anyway. Hope this makes sense.