Pre-Soldered Wiring Harness

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Scantino
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pre-Soldered Wiring Harness

Post by Scantino » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:46 am

I was looking to upgrade the guts of my MIJ Jazzmaster myself... but after looking around online, it seems like it is almost the same price to just buy a pre-soldered assembly. Am I missing something? Any favorites?

I was thinking about snagging this....

https://reverb.com/item/212785-1958-rep ... azz-master" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scantino
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pre-Soldered Wiring Harness

Post by Scantino » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:57 am

Nobody?

bigswifty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bigswifty » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:52 pm

It looks like they use quality parts. With that in mind, you're looking at $5-8 per pot for CTS 1M pots, that again for the mini pots, $12-15 (or so) for the bracket, $10+ for the 3-way, likely north of $20 for the two PIO caps, then factor in wiring and the rhythm switch, you're probably sitting at anywhere from $50-90, depending on if you shop around for the best deals. $90 isn't horrible for a prewired harness where someone has done all the work for you. The only complaint I would have is that they used all white cloth wiring, and the Jazzmaster has a variety of colors (black, white, red, blue, yellow) for various components and connections, but then again, that kind of silly thing matters to me, and I go to great lengths to use correct colors when I do work on my offsets. That said, so long as the parts are quality and the work is solid, that is really a non-issue for a lot of people.

Fact is, that harness would be an upgrade from the stock components in a MIJ Jazzy.

Edit: it does appear they used a black ground in one of the photos.

JoeySlush
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JoeySlush » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:18 pm

bigswifty wrote:It looks like they use quality parts. With that in mind, you're looking at $5-8 per pot for CTS 1M pots, that again for the mini pots, $12-15 (or so) for the bracket, $10+ for the 3-way, likely north of $20 for the two PIO caps, then factor in wiring and the rhythm switch, you're probably sitting at anywhere from $50-90, depending on if you shop around for the best deals. $90 isn't horrible for a prewired harness where someone has done all the work for you. The only complaint I would have is that they used all white cloth wiring, and the Jazzmaster has a variety of colors (black, white, red, blue, yellow) for various components and connections, but then again, that kind of silly thing matters to me, and I go to great lengths to use correct colors when I do work on my offsets. That said, so long as the parts are quality and the work is solid, that is really a non-issue for a lot of people.

Fact is, that harness would be an upgrade from the stock components in a MIJ Jazzy.

The lack of colors also bothers me. At 90$, using top quality components, he should have used the correct cloth wire.
I checked the shipping cost to the Netherlands with Ben. Cheap, 5.95$, while he states on his web that international shipping is 13.95$. Weird, or does he think the Netherlands is not international?

Scantino
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scantino » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:27 pm

bigswifty wrote:It looks like they use quality parts. With that in mind, you're looking at $5-8 per pot for CTS 1M pots, that again for the mini pots, $12-15 (or so) for the bracket, $10+ for the 3-way, likely north of $20 for the two PIO caps, then factor in wiring and the rhythm switch, you're probably sitting at anywhere from $50-90, depending on if you shop around for the best deals. $90 isn't horrible for a prewired harness where someone has done all the work for you. The only complaint I would have is that they used all white cloth wiring, and the Jazzmaster has a variety of colors (black, white, red, blue, yellow) for various components and connections, but then again, that kind of silly thing matters to me, and I go to great lengths to use correct colors when I do work on my offsets. That said, so long as the parts are quality and the work is solid, that is really a non-issue for a lot of people.

Do you have a favorite spot to order parts online?

Hyphen Nation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hyphen Nation » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:08 am

Depends, Angela is pretty solid. Get an account at Mouser?

A bit more spendy, but looks like epic quality:
http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_pw_5jazzmaster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Depending on how much time I have when working on a build I have going on, I may send him my pick guard to have shielded and wired up.

bigswifty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bigswifty » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:22 am

I do use Angela, but they come with a caveat: poor customer service and high shipping. The exchange is a reasonable price (pre-shipping) on most things and a wide selection of offset parts. In regards to wiring, they sell every color.
I also use darrenriley.com for parts and grguitars for parts. Darren Riley has better prices, but grguitars has some things they don't have.
Mojotone and turretboards.com also have a good selection of parts and cloth wiring (I use turretboards.com for a lot of my wire, except they don't carry green and it's solid instead of braided, which is my preference).

Here's what you'll need to wire to USA/AVRI spec:
1 CTS 1M audio
1 CTS 1M linear
1 CTS 1M mini
1 CTS 50k mini
Switchcraft 3-way angled toggle (for Jazzmasters, the proper nut is not the typical knurled Gibson style, but a hex). If you buy the Fender USA one, it should be the proper switch.
Switchcraft mono 1/4" jack
Switchcraft slide switch (rhythm circuit)
.02uf cap
.03uf cap

Various lengths of the following 22 gauge cloth wiring:
Red
Yellow
Blue
Green
White
Black

Also pay mind to the rhythm circuit bracket. If you're using the factory MIJ pickguard, I do not believe the USA bracket will fit (someone else may know better there).

Also, are you swapping the pickups? If not, I would strongly consider going to a different pot value in the rhythm circuit.

Scantino
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scantino » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:03 am

Hyphen Nation wrote:Depends, Angela is pretty solid. Get an account at Mouser?

A bit more spendy, but looks like epic quality:
http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_pw_5jazzmaster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Depending on how much time I have when working on a build I have going on, I may send him my pick guard to have shielded and wired up.
Yea, these Rothstein assemblies are really solid. A bit out of my range at the moment though.

Scantino
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scantino » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:04 am

bigswifty wrote:I do use Angela, but they come with a caveat: poor customer service and high shipping. The exchange is a reasonable price (pre-shipping) on most things and a wide selection of offset parts. In regards to wiring, they sell every color.
I also use darrenriley.com for parts and grguitars for parts. Darren Riley has better prices, but grguitars has some things they don't have.
Mojotone and turretboards.com also have a good selection of parts and cloth wiring (I use turretboards.com for a lot of my wire, except they don't carry green and it's solid instead of braided, which is my preference).

Here's what you'll need to wire to USA/AVRI spec:
1 CTS 1M audio
1 CTS 1M linear
1 CTS 1M mini
1 CTS 50k mini
Switchcraft 3-way angled toggle (for Jazzmasters, the proper nut is not the typical knurled Gibson style, but a hex). If you buy the Fender USA one, it should be the proper switch.
Switchcraft mono 1/4" jack
Switchcraft slide switch (rhythm circuit)
.02uf cap
.03uf cap

Various lengths of the following 22 gauge cloth wiring:
Red
Yellow
Blue
Green
White
Black

Also pay mind to the rhythm circuit bracket. If you're using the factory MIJ pickguard, I do not believe the USA bracket will fit (someone else may know better there).

Also, are you swapping the pickups? If not, I would strongly consider going to a different pot value in the rhythm circuit.
Awesome, thanks! I am going to change the pickups soon. Still deciding which to get though.

bigswifty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bigswifty » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:42 am

I just caught a mistake...I meant change the pot values in the lead circuit. That's my bad. Pot values in the rhythm circuit are what they are. I've found it incredibly difficult to even find mini pots in different values.

And there are a number of options for JM pickups across all kinds of price points and designs. I am actually surprised at how good the Seymour Duncan Antiquity Is sound, but the new Fender AVRI 65s are, dollar for dollar, almost impossible to beat. They sound very nice. I'm personally a huge fan of Lollar and Novak pickups myself.

josheboy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by josheboy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:48 am

I bought a pre-soldered harness from Madisons and it wasn't wired correctly. I had to fix several issues on it (wires going to wrong posts, rhythm circuit not grounded correctly, etc), which pissed me off, but I will say when I wired it up correctly it did sound and function great. The parts are quality, but the assembly (at least in my case) was not so good. Also, the order was supposed to come with a pickguard sheild, but he was out of stock on those so he shipped me a pickguard of my choice. Plus it took 2 weeks to get it from him. So I personally wont deal with him again, but YMMV.

I bought one from 1469music on the bay and it was assembled perfectly and works/feels/sounds even better. Search the bay for him and he has some available now I believe.

The only thing to keep in mind when installing all of this on a JP JM is that you will need to widen your pot holes on your pickguard. The CTS shafts are thicker than the JP shafts. The CTS shaft size is 3/8" if i remember correctly.

I've also bought all the parts and wired a Jag up myself. Its a lot of work, but rewarding when completed. But these pre-wired kits (especially the one from 1469music, who I am not afilliated with at all) were nice and clean.

Scantino
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scantino » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:06 am

bigswifty wrote:I just caught a mistake...I meant change the pot values in the lead circuit. That's my bad. Pot values in the rhythm circuit are what they are. I've found it incredibly difficult to even find mini pots in different values.

And there are a number of options for JM pickups across all kinds of price points and designs. I am actually surprised at how good the Seymour Duncan Antiquity Is sound, but the new Fender AVRI 65s are, dollar for dollar, almost impossible to beat. They sound very nice. I'm personally a huge fan of Lollar and Novak pickups myself.
Something like this? What is a fair price for these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-AVRI-62- ... 3391e33919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scantino
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scantino » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:09 am

josheboy wrote:I bought a pre-soldered harness from Madisons and it wasn't wired correctly. I had to fix several issues on it (wires going to wrong posts, rhythm circuit not grounded correctly, etc), which pissed me off, but I will say when I wired it up correctly it did sound and function great. The parts are quality, but the assembly (at least in my case) was not so good. Also, the order was supposed to come with a pickguard sheild, but he was out of stock on those so he shipped me a pickguard of my choice. Plus it took 2 weeks to get it from him. So I personally wont deal with him again, but YMMV.

I bought one from 1469music on the bay and it was assembled perfectly and works/feels/sounds even better. Search the bay for him and he has some available now I believe.

The only thing to keep in mind when installing all of this on a JP JM is that you will need to widen your pot holes on your pickguard. The CTS shafts are thicker than the JP shafts. The CTS shaft size is 3/8" if i remember correctly.

I've also bought all the parts and wired a Jag up myself. Its a lot of work, but rewarding when completed. But these pre-wired kits (especially the one from 1469music, who I am not afilliated with at all) were nice and clean.

That is a drag. Good to know. I'll certainly check out 1469music. Thanks!

Scantino
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scantino » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:24 am

Doesn't look like 1469music has any auctions up right now... they look like nice harnesses though!

bigswifty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bigswifty » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:18 pm

Scantino wrote:
bigswifty wrote:I just caught a mistake...I meant change the pot values in the lead circuit. That's my bad. Pot values in the rhythm circuit are what they are. I've found it incredibly difficult to even find mini pots in different values.

Something like this? What is a fair price for these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-AVRI-62-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 3391e33919

That's a bit high. I've seen the '62 AVRI pickups for $40-45 a piece ($80-90 a set). Nice pickups though.