Pickguard for a MIJ Mustang 65ri

For help with setups and other technical issues.
footstarer
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Pickguard for a MIJ Mustang 65ri

Post by footstarer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi guys, first time poster here.

I know this topic have been discussed around here, but none of the topics I read answered my question.
I'm looking for a replacement pickguard for my japanese Mustang 65ri, and after spending a few hours searching I feel like I don't have many options.

Does any of you had any luck with the pickguards for MIJ Mustang listed on guitarpartsresource ? http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pick ... angimp.htm
It looks like they are from Allparts, because they share the same reference (PG-0581-xxx).

I also saw in another thread this dude at Dazbootman Pickguards that does custom pickguards at an acceptable price, but it looks like he has closed shop...

Do you guys have any experience with a pickguard that actually fits the MIJ Mustang 65ri right off the bat ?

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickguard for a MIJ Mustang 65ri

Post by DesmondWafers » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:20 pm

The shittiest thing about cijs are the pickguard compatibility. You pretty much have to get it custom or do some filing and cutting. At least that was my experience.

footstarer
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Pickguard for a MIJ Mustang 65ri

Post by footstarer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:34 pm

Thanks for the answer. From what I see on every other thread about this topic, it seems to be everybody's experience.
Still, I can't believe that there's no fitting replacement pickguards for these guitars.
Anyway, I was resigned to buy another pickguard at the time of my first post, but thanks to you I tried cutting the one that I already had (and was ready to send back).

And it actually fits now ! :D

I had to cut half a centimeter on each side. Only one screwhole was properly aligned, but I managed to put most of the other screws by forcing them diagonally into the barely apparent holes.