AVRI Neck and JM-FAT Bridge combo?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
mcalllisterra
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

AVRI Neck and JM-FAT Bridge combo?

Post by mcalllisterra » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Anyone tried this combo? I quite like the neck pickup in my AVRI JM, but the bridge pickup to me is just weedy and harsh. I was thinking of going full-bore and getting both a JM-V for the neck and a JM-FAT for the bridge, but if the AVRI/JM-FAT combo isn't too dissimilar, I may just do that.

Any input greatly appreciated! :)

Brock the Mod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AVRI Neck and JM-FAT Bridge combo?

Post by Brock the Mod » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:34 pm

I have a JMV JMFAT combo that I realllllly like. I had a JMT beforr that which was pretty good too bu t the FAT is way less brittle sounding to me.

therizzla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by therizzla » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:50 pm

I had the Novak JM-V neck / JM-Fat combo and I really enjoyed it! The JM-90 was great for use with dirt but it failed for cleaner tones (which I use most of the time). The JM-Fat felt to me like the pick-up the Jazzmaster should have came stock with all along, classic Fender tone but a little beefed up.

I never used the AVRI neck at the same time as the Fat, but the JM-V was a VAST improvement over the AVRI neck.
reverb.

echose7en
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echose7en » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:19 am

therizzla wrote:I had the Novak JM-V neck / JM-Fat combo and I really enjoyed it! The JM-90 was great for use with dirt but it failed for cleaner tones (which I use most of the time). The JM-Fat felt to me like the pick-up the Jazzmaster should have came stock with all along, classic Fender tone but a little beefed up.

I never used the AVRI neck at the same time as the Fat, but the JM-V was a VAST improvement over the AVRI neck.

Glad to hear this as I just spoke with Curtis last night and ordered this set-up. My original thought was his CC in the neck, but Curtis advised that may not be the cleanest choice for the neck; it wouldn't be as dirty as a P90, but it would push close. I am looking for the same "cleaner tones" as you.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers.

mcalllisterra
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcalllisterra » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:53 am

Yea the JM-V/JM-FAT combo is what I want eventually, but I was thinking of doing it one at a time for financial reasons. I'll probably just wait and do both together though. Sounds like a killer combo!

therizzla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by therizzla » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:37 am

echose7en wrote:
therizzla wrote:I had the Novak JM-V neck / JM-Fat combo and I really enjoyed it! The JM-90 was great for use with dirt but it failed for cleaner tones (which I use most of the time). The JM-Fat felt to me like the pick-up the Jazzmaster should have came stock with all along, classic Fender tone but a little beefed up.

Glad to hear this as I just spoke with Curtis last night and ordered this set-up. My original thought was his CC in the neck, but Curtis advised that may not be the cleanest choice for the neck; it wouldn't be as dirty as a P90, but it would push close. I am looking for the same "cleaner tones" as you.
I would swap between the Fat and 90 every so often depending on what band I was in or what mood I was in but the JM-V never changed and I went from playing in the bridge/middle positions 90% of the time with the AVRIs to playing the neck position 90% of the time with the Novaks.
reverb.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:44 am

I have a JM90 on the neck and WRHB on the bridge of an AVRI JM and the neck pickup doesn't really do 100% clean. It's clean enough at stage volumes but it's a bit hotter. Even with it buried in the rout it is still a bit hotter than the bridge pickup and that's a good 10k.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:47 am

I bought Therizzla's AVRI and it's here for 2 weeks now.
I like the JMV-JM Fat combination a lot.
The neck is warm, like the stock AVRI PU, but with more nuance, more depth to it.
The bridge is far more usable than a stock AVRI imo; you don't have to deal with the sharpness, though it's trebbly enough if you need it to.
With stock AVRI bridge PU, I had to turn the tone-knob down to 6 or 7 to make the bridge PU alone bearable. I still dial it down a bit, but it's no longer a real necessaty.
I think I'll have some good use from the bridge PU alone on this guitar.
As a consequence, the in between position is not so sparkling(or trebly) as I remember the AVRI's with stock PU's.
Nothing an amp-setting 'correct' if you need more 'bite'.
I haven't gone to band practice yet, but so far I must say I like the combination a lot and I feel it's only gonna get better.
Don't hesitate on this combination.

mcalllisterra
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcalllisterra » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:46 am

Just thought I'd check back in here to give a bit of an update.

I went on a bit of a gear-selling binge recently, and so decided what the hell, and bought the JM-V and JM-FAT combo. Put them in last night and had a play through my DRRI and they sound incredible! Everything I was hoping for. The neck sounds so great, and the FAT in the bridge really did get rid of that sharp, stiff feel the stock pickups had.

As mentioned, with both pickups on, it lost a little bit of jangle, but that's to be expected and everything is a tradeoff, I've found.

Sometimes I curse OSG for planting a gear-seed that I can't shake, but in this instance, I'm very glad I went with the advice! :D

Brock the Mod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Brock the Mod » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:20 pm

I know this combo is great, but Ive been thinking about just getting a JM-FAT neck pickup too lately. I mean, its hard because you know you shouldnt change something you like, BUT maybe... just maybe the JMFAT neck pickup could be a sleeper too. I have heard tons of JMFAT bridge users here, but NO neck users!

echose7en
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echose7en » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:55 am

Brock the Mod wrote:I know this combo is great, but Ive been thinking about just getting a JM-FAT neck pickup too lately. I mean, its hard because you know you shouldnt change something you like, BUT maybe... just maybe the JMFAT neck pickup could be a sleeper too. I have heard tons of JMFAT bridge users here, but NO neck users!
If I recall correctly, one of the recordings in the PUP comparison thread has a clip of a JM-FAT in the neck, and I thought it sounded great. I talked to Curtis about ordering a JM-FAT for the neck, but he still recommended the bridge position for that PUP ---- though he did offer to send me the JM-V, and if I wasn't satisfied, I could sent it back and pay the difference to get the -JMFAT. I really like the JM-V now that I have it, and will keep it for the foreseeable future.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers.

mcalllisterra
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcalllisterra » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:36 am

echose7en wrote:
Brock the Mod wrote:I know this combo is great, but Ive been thinking about just getting a JM-FAT neck pickup too lately. I mean, its hard because you know you shouldnt change something you like, BUT maybe... just maybe the JMFAT neck pickup could be a sleeper too. I have heard tons of JMFAT bridge users here, but NO neck users!
If I recall correctly, one of the recordings in the PUP comparison thread has a clip of a JM-FAT in the neck, and I thought it sounded great. I talked to Curtis about ordering a JM-FAT for the neck, but he still recommended the bridge position for that PUP ---- though he did offer to send me the JM-V, and if I wasn't satisfied, I could sent it back and pay the difference to get the -JMFAT. I really like the JM-V now that I have it, and will keep it for the foreseeable future.
I imagine it would sound good, but I love the way the V and FAT balance each other. Such a usable combo!

If you try it, do let us know how it works out because I'd be interested to hear.