Tune-O-Matic (9.5") on Squier VM offsets?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Dylan Ai
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Tune-O-Matic (9.5") on Squier VM offsets?

Post by Dylan Ai » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:39 pm

I know the Squier VM Jags and JMs have a 9.5" fretboard radius and most tune-o-matic bridges don't come that way; however, I noticed that the Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster has a 9.5" fretboard radius and comes stock with a tune-o-matic bridge. Would one of these bridges work on a Vintage Modified Jaguar or Jazzmaster? Would they fit into the existing routing for the stock bridges?

TWood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tune-O-Matic (9.5") on Squier VM offsets?

Post by TWood » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:03 pm

I think the tune o matic on the squier JMJM isn't 9.5" radius. Also as it's a tune o matic I'm pretty sure you'll have to route the bridge post holes larger.
Tom

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:56 am

it wouldnt fit
the squier jmascis has different spacing for the post holes

Dylan Ai
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dylan Ai » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks for the responses. That was my main concern when considering this as an alternative to the Warmoth Modified Mustang bridge as an affordable solution to the stock bridge issues (the Staytrem and Mastery are both out of my price range, and I consider it a bit excessive to put a $100-200 bridge on a guitar that costs $300).

The closest thing I've come to a bargain bridge is the Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster bridge ($20) which has the correct spacing, post size, and radius for the Squier VM Jags and JMs, and it's similar to the Mustang bridge in that each bridge saddle has a single groove for its string, significantly reducing buzz and slippage. It has some issues that take a bit of work to iron out, and the Warmoth alternative is superior, but for 20 bucks it can't be beat as a cheap, quick solution. I asked my Squier VM Jaguar how it liked it and it told me that it doesn't like it when I anthropomorphize it, so I can only say from my experience that the Blacktop bridge is quite sufficient and works well on it.

Spoike
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Spoike » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:34 pm

Wouldn't a CP tune-o-matic bridge be fine? Those offsets have a 9.5 radius so it follows that the TOM that comes stock with those would fit a VM too.

Kiso
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kiso » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:31 am

Spoike wrote:Wouldn't a CP tune-o-matic bridge be fine? Those offsets have a 9.5 radius so it follows that the TOM that comes stock with those would fit a VM too.
The CP TOM doesn't have a 9,5 radius, I'm pretty sure that there aren't any TOMs that have a 9,5 radius.

Spoike
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Spoike » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:21 am

Kiso wrote:The CP TOM doesn't have a 9,5 radius, I'm pretty sure that there aren't any TOMs that have a 9,5 radius.
What? But... the CP guitars have a 9.5 fretboard raidus, no? Why would they deliberately package those guitars with a mismatched bridge? That seems incredibly strange to me.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Aside from the radius (Fender 'Adjustomatic' is 12" IIRC, and yes it's 'mismatched', but in the right direction (flatter)), the bridge post holes and thimbles are different as previously mentioned.

Anyway, I don't believe the Tune-o-matic bridge to be an 'upgrade' on anything, unless you find yourself with a guitar that has no bridge at all and only have a TOM lying around.

Buy a decade's supply of Loc-tite blue or purple for $10, apply to the threads of the grub screws (don't just dump it on top of the screw heads), set the bridge up, and enjoy playing your guitar.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

pantone247
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by pantone247 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:17 am

Hey, longtime lurker first time poster...

I bought a Gotoh TOM bridge for my VMJM.. model name Gotoh GE103B-T Chrome.. After much forum trawling and soul searching, the bridge arrived and dropped straight into the existing thimbles. The downside is that the bridge sits really tall, like 5-6mm taller. With a result the action is very very high. There's two solutions, that I can see, one is to grind the bridge posts down 5-6mm on a grindstone.

The other (crazier) solution, is what I've done, which is add a 5-6mm shim to the neck. Part of me feels that's too much shimming, but it's actually working out great and it's allowed me to try all this out in a completely reversible way. A side effect is that I actually quite like the high bridge, the increased string angle to the trem block and space and air around the strings at the strumming area is great.

In terms of feel I'm 100% happier with this mod. I had the guitar for six months with the original bridge and felt it was lacking something. The instrument felt flimsy and delicate, nothing too "dig into". It was as if a lot of the energy from a strum was dissipated though the bridges many moving parts and it's own posts loose fit in the the thimbles. The TOM felt like a huge improvement straight away, a much more solid feel, more response from the plucked strings and notably more sustain. A friend who has picked up the guitar occasionally commented on it straight away too.

Now full disclosure, I'm a Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, noise-y alt rock sort of player. So it's no surprise that this mod worked out for me, TOM bridged JMs were a big part of why I went for this type of guitar. I'm sure there's some subtlety lost in the guitar since I made the change, and a sense of a finely balanced instrument (not that I could ever find that perfect balance!) but what I have in return is a solid lively guitar that I'm playing way way more often. At the end of the day that swings it for me.

The bridge only cost 26 euro so it's worth trying out imho! Oh and the radius is different, you can see it straight away though not as much as you'd think.. I don't even think about it when playing.
https://therunons.bandcamp.com/

https://hefttrax.squarespace.com/

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 am

IIRC, J Mascis pretty much asked for the bridge - neck radius mismatch. Heaven knows why, but I'm not about to question it :D.

lunaticjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lunaticjaguar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks for that info pantone... I have a warmoth bridge on my vmjm and the strings pop out... Been considering a TOM... Have one on my mij jaguar and love it.. Radius be damned!

chadd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by chadd » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:43 pm

If you're handy with some small files and have the patience, the outer 4 saddles of a 12" radius TOM can be filed lower to match a 9.5" radius. I did this to a Guitar Fetish TOM with un-notched brass saddles on my SQJMJM and I'm happy with the outcome. It also allowed me to customize the string spacing a little wider than the stock bridge, which it my preference for playing fingerstyle.

Harrison
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harrison » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:26 pm

You can get away with a traditional mustang bridge and either live with the mismatched radius (which isn't such a big deal) or you can put some washers under the outermost saddles to get to the 9.5 radius.

veryredtomatoes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by veryredtomatoes » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:12 pm

Just use a file and some blue loctite on the stock bridge, and you're good to go. Besides, the stock bridges look cooler than anything else out there. This is the one area that I think the JMJM can use help. I'm eyeing the compton pretty hard these days.
Today is a good day to die.