I think I've finally had it...

For help with setups and other technical issues.
astorminheaven
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: I think I've finally had it...

Post by astorminheaven » Wed May 14, 2014 6:30 pm

My beef is mainly with my Johnny Marr Jag. In the past few days, I've had the neck off numerous times and the bridge has been going up and down like an elevator the whole time. It seems the only way I can get it to play without buzzing is to take the elevator all the way to the penthouse, which is not where I want to be. I've restrung it with heavier strings than I had on it before, and now with the combination of heavier strings and mile-high action I don't even want to play the damned thing any more.

I went through a similar scenario with my Squier Jag previously and it's been sitting on a rack untouched for months, but given the cost of the Squier versus the JMJ I can more easily accept that it's a write-off. My AVRI JM was initially a whore as well until I bought a Mastery for it, and now it's been good ever since. I refuse to buy another $200 bridge for another $1800 guitar however, seeing that most other guitars that I know of don't need a $200 bridge to work properly- one is enough.

With respect to the popularity of offsets recently, my acquisitions have nothing to do with that. I wanted one since I first started playing guitar back in the early '90's, but being a kid they were always out of reach for me. Once I had a steady job that payed a respectable wage, they were suddenly within reach so I bought a few. I also own a couple of Strats that don't behave this way, so I have some perspective on how much maintenance I'm doing on these guitars versus different designs. I will always keep my JM, but I'm starting to think the Jags are possibly going elsewhere in the near future. The thing that really burns though, is that when they work they feel and sound like nothing else.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed May 14, 2014 6:37 pm

fullerplast wrote:
DocCarlson wrote:This cracks me up. For fifty years the guitar playing masses have had the exact same complaints about offset guitars and lately I'm noticing more and more people around this site start to echo those complaints after denying them for years.

Haha... Irony.

Well, for me the maintenance isn't so much of an issue, as I know how to set them up and I love tinkering. I think I just kind of got burned out on them, they aren't very exciting to me anymore. However, it's true that they're more temperamental than other guitars. I never denied that, but I've always been of the opinion that the "flaws" can be minimized or eliminated with a good setup and proper strings.
This is how I'm feeling right now. Just burned out by them... I have a few guitars now, and frankly I'm just glad to have one guitar, my Tele, that I can just play and not want to tinker with. It's very refreshing, actually, to just be fine with a guitar and to just be able to play. Makes me wonder why I bother having anything else...

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed May 14, 2014 7:00 pm

You guys suck.

You're all banned. 4 LYFE!!!
It's the end of OSG as we know it. Soon we'll be acquired by the TDPRI Corporation where we can all blissfully swallow the telecaster cool aid.

:P

Maybe I'm in denial, but I have none of these probs with my JMs, at least they don't bother me....And you guys know I'm very particular. I love my tele too, but I far prefer my JM to anything else.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

deviantkirby
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by deviantkirby » Wed May 14, 2014 7:48 pm

I really enjoy my Johnny Marr Jaguar which is from the first run of them. That said I've replaced everything on it but the tuners in the name of ridding myself of some of the unnecessary quirks................

rrtxoso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rrtxoso » Wed May 14, 2014 8:03 pm

I got my first JM almost two months ago, and it has been perfect after sorting out a trem issue involving a bad collet/arm. After those issues were sorted out, it has been as stable as my ES-339, even with trem use. What I would do if you think the current popularity of offsets is your problem is hang in there, get some interesting offsets while fender still makes a good variety, and wait for the popularity to subside. I personally don't mind that offsets are in the spotlight. I'm new to offsets, but I wasn't drawn to jazzmasters because they were popular. I was drawn to them because I love the aesthetic and the trem system. I later fell in love with the sound. Side note: It may be because I'm new to the offset world, but I'm against the "gated offset community" idea. However, looking back at posts from the early days of OSG, I can see why older members speak so highly of the "old days". Much less unhelpful bickering and "tonz", less frustration with the inexperience of new members, just a focus on the love of quirky 60s guitars. The eagerness of new members to discover the world of offsets can easily be stamped out when people care more about "the old days" than the guitars. This is merely an impression, and while the majority of members have been great, a little offset elitism is evident, especially regarding new members like myself.
Back to the original question: my thought is that if you've fallen out of love with the sound, feel, or the maintenance inherent in offsets, go ahead and switch. I would keep your favorite offset around, just in case your mind changes. However, if you're just put off by the current size of the offset bandwagon, just wait awhile until people switch back to strats and les pauls.
“Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word."

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed May 14, 2014 8:25 pm

kosmonautmayhem wrote:You guys suck.
Vacuum tonz. :?

arkivel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by arkivel » Wed May 14, 2014 8:26 pm

The best guitar I ever owned was a MIJ foto flame tele that I bought brand new for $300 on boxing day. The list was something like $1100. I had to sell it 15 years ago to buy xmas presents. Man I miss that guitar. I didn't like the photo flame aesthetic too much but it just played perfectly and felt so good. Now I've got a Mustang, a thin skin Jaguar and a strat that Ive held onto for quite awhile and have owned about ten electrics in total. While I like certain things about these guitars none of them felt or played like that tele. Offsets are finicky for sure but a lot of what makes a guitar good just comes down to luck. When you find a great one dont ever sell it.

DrOctagon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrOctagon » Wed May 14, 2014 9:09 pm

Could be a nut issue. The key to all problems with Jaguars & Jazzmasters is not to just slap a Mastery on it. Though, it does probably solve a lot of people's issues, most of the time I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

It sounds like you should take your guitar to someone who really knows how to work with them, ask them what they did, maybe even watch them do it.

They're definitely more maintenance than Strats & Teles but they're not THAT bad. I suspect most people who have this many problems with them either got a dud or need to take their guitar to a qualified tech. Most often the latter.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Wed May 14, 2014 10:48 pm

My avri JM was pretty close to tele levels of reliability with a mastery on it. I sold that, but if I got another JM or jag I wouldn't buy a mastery. They night be finicky, but that's why I own more than 1 guitar. It's a labor of love.

DaveC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaveC » Wed May 14, 2014 10:59 pm

Tsk, mine are stable as rock, I set them up months ago and they haven't change one bit, slap a staytrem in 'em and get happy.
Cheers
Dave

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Thu May 15, 2014 1:02 am

I like people who cover the rhythm circuit in gaffer, lock the bridge with masking tape, lose the trem arm, have no idea what a strangle switch is, and anyway always leave the guitar on high treble/ bridge pickup/ full volume. You can't help wondering why they are bothering to play an offset at all??

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu May 15, 2014 1:34 am

i really don't get the fuss. give me 20 mins with any regular offset and it will play like a dream.
drop in a decent bridge, take care of trem. adjust to player's taste. that's about all there is to it.
from then on, my offsets are no more care intensive than my other guitars. really.
i am used to taking these things apart since the early nineties, so maybe that's why it's no big thing to me.
all my offsets are way beyond fantastic players, be it vintage or new parts guitars. no rattles, no buzz.
i'm not even a guitar tech, but just the slightest understanding of mechanics will be a big help.
maybe some fret work, nut work & neck relief/shimming, but that's not offset-specific at all.
Nobody exists on purpose.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu May 15, 2014 1:55 am

fuzzking wrote:i really don't get the fuss. give me 20 mins with any regular offset and it will play like a dream.
drop in a decent bridge, take care of trem. adjust to player's taste. that's about all there is to it.
from then on, my offsets are no more care intensive than my other guitars. really.
i am used to taking these things apart since the early nineties, so maybe that's why it's no big thing to me.
all my offsets are way beyond fantastic players, be it vintage or new parts guitars. no rattles, no buzz.
i'm not even a guitar tech, but just the slightest understanding of mechanics will be a big help.
maybe some fret work, nut work & neck relief/shimming, but that's not offset-specific at all.
Agree with this, except I don't even bother replacing the stock bridge anymore.

Really not sure quite what people are doing that results in such frequent truss rod adjustments being required, and I live in an area with fairly decent swings in humidity/temperature. ???
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu May 15, 2014 4:40 am

In a lot of ways i'm glad i could not afford a fender, and that they didn't have a 'proper' one other than avri's for a while.

Because i got a warmoth with its dual truss and side adjust, it just stays put and you don't need to take the neck off.

but my jazz bass and bass vi need a lot of adjustment at the headstock (and having to loosen two strings even annoys me). I just don't see how proper adjustment can be made if you have to take the neck off so i don't think i'd buy a guitar like that.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:42 am

I understand OSG veterans getting a little burnt out. How many of the same thread questions come up over and over as people learn to separate myths and realities and how they relate to their own guitar discoveries? Why I remember when I was a newbie myself, trying to figure out how I could get a Sherwood green offset.

I don't spend much time setting up my Jaguar. Last week I realized it is a bit buzzy, but when it's plugged in I never notice. The Strat I have (and never play) is buzzy too. I never mess with truss rods.

I just love the way my Jaguar sounds and feels. (I like the looks too). If a Tele or Strat sounded better to me I would play them but for my tastes, Jags are tip-top in the shop. I never see live bands enough or watch videos to be concerned about the trend factor. If you get all caught up in that bs you are a weenie.