Trem Idea

For help with setups and other technical issues.
rrtxoso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Trem Idea

Post by rrtxoso » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Just wondering - Could the strings be used as the system's spring? It seems like that would always bring it back to tension. Not sure how this would happen mechanically, just a general idea. Thoughts?
“Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word."

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Trem Idea

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:11 pm

I think the strings (i.e. string tension) are the force that a trem system's springs work against, and when the two forces are equal, then you get a balanced trem that returns to pitch.

I don't know how using strings would work mechanically, unless you used a second set of strings that could be adjusted (via tuners, etc) to match the tension of the playable strings... In that case, I think springs act as thick, coiled strings to condense the space of a complete extra set of strings would take up. :unsure:

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:46 am

No, given they are not like a spring at all.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:37 pm

Hmm... Well, the strings are the springs in a way if you're pulling on the trem, there just also have to be actual springs to facilitate moving the bar in the opposite direction :D

But now I'm imagining a circular string, that would go inside the neck and back through the bridge... If there was a pivot it might work, but there'd probably still have to be additional springs to stabilize it, and keep it from sticking in any one place. Maybe if there was an adequate system to clamp the strings in place, at the front/back of the bridge/nut?

Experiment with rubber bands... Luckily no one in the world really wants to do this.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!